mtbr member

Stumpy fsr 29 : placing narrower tires

I'm seriously considering in replacing those "floating devices" 2.3 Purgatory and Ground Control with the following : rear Maxxis Crossmark 2.1,front either keep the 2.3 Purgatory or replace it with a 2.2 one. Current tires set up is just amazing and confidence inspiring,but i need to make the bike a bit more lively and whippy. Is the rear Crossmark a good idea for that ?

mtbr member
    I have a FSR 29er and tried the Crossmark on the back and it was decent, light and affordable. I agree with you on the balloon purgatory 2.3 out front, that thing needed to go. After riding that for 8 months I had to try something else so I came across (by accident) an old (out of print) Continental Mountain King 2.2.

BTW Conti's run really narrow. Their 2.2 is more like a 1.9. I put that on the front and wow, what a difference. The first thing I noticed is that I rolled past a lot of what I used to run into (for obvious reasons). Sounds kind of logical doesn't it? The next thing I noticed is how well it tracked through turns when, on a 29er, you need to lean over more to get around turns. The edge nobs on this tire stick out a mile and really grab like no other tire. I can't believe they don't print it any longer and replaced it with another tread design under the same name. This is the best all around front tire I have used so far. I wrote the company an e-mail asking if they would reconsider bringing it back but received no response.

Next I bought a used bike and it had this Specialized Renegade control on the back so I gave it a try and love it. Now obviously that is not a mud tire, but for dry to semi-wet it is sweet and really fast. Remember, on a 29er you are getting ton more traction by default due to the larger surface contact so a ton of tread on the rear is kind of a waste (unless of course we are talking winter snow melt mud and the like).

I would never put a 120TPI tire on the front. You need something on the front with solid side walls because IMHO side walls that do not bulge out will corner better. Not to mention that if you sliced the side wall on a "front" tire and had a blow out or a tubeless burp you would be dead. The back tire on the other hand is not as critical if comes off the rim, if you want to save weight there with a 120TPI I think you are OK since if you lost the back tire you probably would walk away alive anyway.

Whatever you do be careful putting a tire in the front with low edge knobs. If you lose the front edge on a turn you are on the ground before you can blink.
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 10-22-2012 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    worth considering Conti RQ 2.9 x 2.2?

mtbr member
    My LBS gave a very good deal on a front Purgatory 2.2 and a rear Captain 2.0,both control versions. It will be like going back to my old 2011 Stumpy FSR 26 wich was an excellent combination to me.
    Removing Command Post and storing it,right now I don't need it for my light trails rides. Hopefully all this will make this truck of a bike a bit less sleepy.