mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Stumpy Fork & Shock Tune

Well, I am in the process of tuning my new stumpy. I have the sag set 25% front and rear, however it feels a little harsh in the mid stroke front & back. After hitting a series of bumbs/rocks its starts to pack and get harsh. I tried tuning out the rebound a little and it helped a bit. My guess is I need a little bit less air pressure, but I dont want to get my sag out of wack. Any thoughts or tips?

Coming from a moto background, high speed compression adjustment would be nice addition.

mtbr member
    Which model do you have? What do you weigh?
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got the 2012 fsr comp. I weigh about 190lbs without camel back. I have already started with the air pressure/rebound guidelines according to specialized suspension manual.

mtbr member
    Go ahead and set your sag to 30% and see how it feels- use your rebound to adjust the pack down effect. It's not going to be as plush as a moto- ever. The Stumpy is awesome, but it's still a fairly efficient all-around bike, not a super-squish-squish. You gotta go Enduro or some other big-hit bike for that.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    I run around 30%. Basically ride weight plus 10 for the rear shock pressure. For the fork i run close to 30% too.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I will give 30% a go. Seems a bit high however. My old stumpys I have always ran 25% sag. Still getting use to the new generation stumpy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Alright, well I set my sag to 30% front & back last night and rode the same loop that was giving me issues. Was way more plush and not as harsh going over a series of bumps/rocks. I did however end up increasing my rebound 1 click upfront cause it sprang up just a tad too quick on some sections of the trail.

I think I have my bike close to set, however its not quite dialed in yet. I will need to test it at a few other riding areas before its completely dialed. 30% sag did not affect my climbing, which was surprising.

Autosag is great starting point, but it only sets it at about 25% sag. I could see running 25% for smooth hardpack trails with hardly any rocks but 30% seems more ideal for my riding area in Southern Wyoming & Northern Colorado for this bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ended up going back to 25% sag, and turning out the rebound 2 clicks on the front & one click out back. 30% was nice & plush however going down steep rocky sections the front end would dive too much and was unstable when braking hard.

mtbr member
    I was experiencing exactly what you were on my new Stumpy. I tried 30% in the rear and bumped up the rebound 1 click and haven't looked back. I've always ran around 30% up front so I'm used to that. It helped a ton with the harsh feeling mid stroke.