mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Stumpy expert 06 - tough xc

Hi,
    I just bought a new Stumpjumper FSR expert and just soled my old Cann Raven 2000 bike.
    In general the stumpy simse to be very rigid,firm and all mountain bike.
    The new bike felt very stable on moderate singletarcks and I'm very pleased with that (The Fox TALAS fron fork is really great).
    I have problem though with XC.
    Its sims to me that I go 75% slower with more efforts going uphill and riding on graved roads then the previous bike although they are quite the same weight.
    I lock the front and rear shocks or using propedal but still.
    The stock tyres are Specialized Andlenaline 2.1.
    I do 60% XC and 40% singletrack with no big jumps.
    Does the tyres effect much on speed (plan to buy WeirWolf 2.1 or/and Geax Arrojo)?
    Does the frame geometry has to do with speed as well?
    Do the bike element need to break in for smoother ride?
    Please advise if you have some assumption for the cause of that.
    Thanks
    Yossi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Hi,
    I just bought a new Stumpjumper FSR expert and just soled my old Cann Raven 2000 bike.
    In general the stumpy simse to be very rigid,firm and all mountain bike.
    The new bike felt very stable on moderate singletarcks and I'm very pleased with that (The Fox TALAS fron fork is really great).
    I have problem though with XC.
    Its sims to me that I go 75% slower with more efforts going uphill and riding on graved roads then the previous bike although they are quite the same weight.
    I lock the front and rear shocks or using propedal but still.
    The stock tyres are Specialized Andlenaline 2.1.
    I do 60% XC and 40% singletrack with no big jumps.
    Does the tyres effect much on speed (plan to buy WeirWolf 2.1 or/and Geax Arrojo)?
    Does the frame geometry has to do with speed as well?
    Do the bike element need to break in for smoother ride?
    Please advise if you have some assumption for the cause of that.
    Thanks
    Yossi

I think its an ilusion it just feels slower...i certainly cant believe its 75% slower ...i own a stumpy 05 120 and its a quick bike, if you old raven was 75% faster i think lance Armstrong would be scared.

Seriously though !! most full sussers dont pedal well out of the sadle especialy climbing,and even propedal will lose you power when you stand and hamer the pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    I think its an ilusion it just feels slower...i certainly cant believe its 75% slower ...i own a stumpy 05 120 and its a quick bike, if you old raven was 75% faster i think lance Armstrong would be scared.

Seriously though !! most full sussers dont pedal well out of the sadle especialy climbing,and even propedal will lose you power when you stand and hamer the pedals.
    well, maybe I went to far here, not 75% but slower.
    I just heard of the Stumpy as an excellent XC bikes and I was amazed to find out they are not as my old ones.
    Maybe I need to get used to them.
    oh, they are XL compare with the Large frame of the former bikes, maybe that counts.
    Do you leave the propedal on for all XC (beside going down tracks)?

mechmann_mtb
    tires
    tire pressure
    new/not worn in bearings etc.
    bike setup (for ideal power transfer: seat position, stem hieght etc)

all play a major role in how well your bike rolls. most likely you are suffering from a combination of these things being slightly off from ideal.

one place that i have found a lot of drag on my wifes stumpy expert was the rear bearing seals. they create a lot of drag. also check your cranks, sometimes people get over zealous on tightening the external BB cranks and they create a lot of drag. play with your tire pressure. the adrenaline tires roll pretty well when setup right. also make sure your suspension is set up correctly for your riding weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    tires
    tire pressure
    new/not worn in bearings etc.
    bike setup (for ideal power transfer: seat position, stem hieght etc)

all play a major role in how well your bike rolls. most likely you are suffering from a combination of these things being slightly off from ideal.

one place that i have found a lot of drag on my wifes stumpy expert was the rear bearing seals. they create a lot of drag. also check your cranks, sometimes people get over zealous on tightening the external BB cranks and they create a lot of drag. play with your tire pressure. the adrenaline tires roll pretty well when setup right. also make sure your suspension is set up correctly for your riding weight.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Yes, I wanted to adjust the air pressure on the front and rear suspensions and didnt do it yet.
    I will pay attention for the other checks you mentioned.
    thanks man