mtbr member
    Feb 2010

stumpy evo pedals like poo...add shock spacer??

Hey all. Got 2 rides in on my stumpy evo 26er that I just finished building & the thing pedals like a slug! I'm about 235# ready to ride & have damn near 300 psi in the shock which is the most psi I have ever ridden in any shock on any bike. Guessing my weight far exceeds the design parameters of the shock & wandering if adding a volume reducer to the shock might help me out. Also wandering if something is up with my shock? The dampening seems to work fine but the amount of bob during smooth seated climbing is a LOT! This is the worst pedaling bike I've ever owned & I've owned some big bikes! Any insight would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Your evo should pedal quite well. I have found autosag to be a bit off for my weight at 200lbs. Try setting it the old fashion way.

Make sure your shock & fork are set in their open setting and your rebound is set in the middle before setting sag.

Your total sag front and back should be 25% of travel. So thats 12.75mm sag for the rear and 37.5mm sag for the front.

After your sag is set, fine tune your rebound on the trail.

mtbr member

Wow first I ever heard of this bike being a slug! For sure check your sag settings and that amount of weight will make any bike feel like a slug. Make sure your tires have plenty of psi also. Check your your brakes, if you put your bike on a stand and the wheels stop from drag on the brakes then do the business card trick.

Good luck as this bike is epic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member

Oh forgot to mention I'm 210 geared up and what sorted out my rear shock was the fox air volume spacer kit. I recommend it highly

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hum, I don't get hardly any bob out my rear end when the sag is set correctly. Set the sag as suggested first before throwing parts at your new ride.

mtbr member

Mine wasn't a bob issue but was a blow through the mid stroke of the rear shock on bigger hits and drops. Now with that air volume spacer it's nice and progressive and drops and big hits put smile on face instead of cracking teeth.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What gear are you noticing the bob in?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What gear are you noticing the bob in?
    Right now I'm running 30t front chainring & 11-36 rear. Bobs/slugs in any climbing gear or any flat surface pedaling gear. Even on the road with smooth cadence. Guessing if there is a pedaling threshold shim circuit my weight is completely overwhelming it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Your evo should pedal quite well. I have found autosag to be a bit off for my weight at 200lbs. Try setting it the old fashion way.

Make sure your shock & fork are set in their open setting and your rebound is set in the middle before setting sag.

Your total sag front and back should be 25% of travel. So thats 12.75mm sag for the rear and 37.5mm sag for the front.

After your sag is set, fine tune your rebound on the trail.
    Yeah I haven't really tried the autosag for sag per say. My sag is dead at 12mm right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
    Wow first I ever heard of this bike being a slug! For sure check your sag settings and that amount of weight will make any bike feel like a slug. Make sure your tires have plenty of psi also. Check your your brakes, if you put your bike on a stand and the wheels stop from drag on the brakes then do the business card trick.

Good luck as this bike is epic!

Yeah, I'm a long seasoned mountain biker. Either this thing is SUPER active rear or it's the shock. I will be trying the volume reducer though. Which one did you use?

mtbr member

It comes with three spacers I used the middle sized one and it's been great since.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Right now I'm running 30t front chainring & 11-36 rear. Bobs/slugs in any climbing gear or any flat surface pedaling gear. Even on the road with smooth cadence. Guessing if there is a pedaling threshold shim circuit my weight is completely overwhelming it.
    It's never going to "pedal like a hardtail". Modern FS bikes will pedal well enough that there's not a real discernible difference if the bikes weigh the same, but the FSR isn't the latest and greatest either. Other designs have some pretty big advantages now, especially in the area of squat and pedaling up steep inclines.

FSR pedals well enough on level ground, but a bigger chainring (than a granny) and a uphill makes i squat and settle a lot with each power stroke. The "bobbing" on level ground usually doesn't really take much energy away, but the squatting on uphills does, and the harder you pedal, the worse it gets. Kind of feels like pedaling a sponge. I don't know what the solution is, only that

Do you feel that it robs as much energy while on flat ground vs. climbing? Get past the visual aspect, just don't look at a shock and judge the bike by the movement there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's never going to "pedal like a hardtail". Modern FS bikes will pedal well enough that there's not a real discernible difference if the bikes weigh the same, but the FSR isn't the latest and greatest either. Other designs have some pretty big advantages now, especially in the area of squat and pedaling up steep inclines.

FSR pedals well enough on level ground, but a bigger chainring (than a granny) and a uphill makes i squat and settle a lot with each power stroke. The "bobbing" on level ground usually doesn't really take much energy away, but the squatting on uphills does, and the harder you pedal, the worse it gets. Kind of feels like pedaling a sponge. I don't know what the solution is, only that

Do you feel that it robs as much energy while on flat ground vs. climbing? Get past the visual aspect, just don't look at a shock and judge the bike by the movement there.
    This bike pedals especially bad. Worse than my 6" rfx turner. Ridden most designs out there including most mini-link bikes & I would say there is a trade off between one design vs another. My last trail bike was the banshee spitfire & that may be the best iteration of trail suspension I've been on. AT this point I'm fairly certain my weight is overwhelming the pedaling threshold dampening