mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Stumpy EVO holy moly!

Had a chance to demo a 2012 FSR evo carbon this weekend. I'm in love, and the wallet is scared.

Anyone have any comparisons on ride quality/component differences between the carbon and alu. EVO models?

mtbr member
    You might find some info in this thread:
    Any 2012 Evos out there yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Heu Bad Andy, I have the EVO Comp. I'd be happy to hook up for a loop and let you test it out. I absolutely love the bike. I swapped the brakes for Magura MT 6's and am running Nevegal's tubeless, otherwise stock for now. I ride Friday's and Sunday's. PM me here or WMBA if you want to try and hook up.

mtbr member
    Only trence is weight and stiffness. The carbon is about a pound lighter and a bit stiffer. If you're not concerned with either (it's still a farily light and VERY stiff frame) I'd go alloy.

I do have a XL stumpy evo 26 in the carbon. It's steezed out to the max but still has the stock wheels, fork, and command post. Sit's at 26 pounds. Not bad for a 150mm trail bike that can take a ton of abuse.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

The Other Dude
    I do not think you will find too many unsatisfied evo owners, the bike really rocks, I use mine for trail riding, some light dh/park riding, an even giant slalom racing, its a ripper for sure
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    I had some good saddle time on the 2011 SJ EVO Aluminum, and based on that experience I bought the 2012 SJ EVO Expert Carbon. Both bikes are excellent IMO. If I were to describe differences I would say the carbon frame feels a bit more stiff. Not radically so, and not so much that I think you would be disappointed by aluminum. My intention was to buy aluminum b/c that's the only option for frame only purchase and I wanted to build the bike up with my ideal component set. Unfortunately there are (or were) no aluminum frames left anywhere in the US (according to the two dealers I spoke with). So I went carbon and I can tell you this, the bike rips. It's really well thought out and the component build is really nice.