mtbr member

New question here. Stumpy or Epic??

Needs some help Here.

I am looking at getting a Stumpy or Epic. This is going to be my cross county bike. I have an 05 Endure(love it), but need(and want) something that is better for techincal single track, climbing and 24 hour races. The only racing I do are 24 hour races and the Sea otter.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member

Stumpy

If your going to race 24hr, then the Stumpy is the way to go. The Epic is a fine race bike if your only racing XC on shorter loops, and nothing climbs better. I have a 05 S-Works Epic and a 06 S-Works Stumpy, I also race 12-24hr, and ride on 3-4 hour training rides and didnt know which would be better on my body. The Stumpy is faster on the rolling climbs and in much more control at speed on the downhills then the Epic. I found on my training ride climbing times are pretty close on the long climbs, so minimal race time is lost on the climb but made up for on the downs, so it seems to be a wash for me. I find the biggest benifit the Stumpy has is after the 3rd or 4th hour in the saddle. Your body can still kick arse, where on the Epic I was taking abuse.
    The best advice is to see where your interests are since you have a Enduro you may want to have a XC only steed, then the Epic is worth a extra look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    POV #1: You already have an Enduro, so buying a SJ would give you a bike which is not so different from the other.
    POV #2: 5" of travel saves you muscles when you go for 24h. In a little different magnitude, that's just what some of the racers on Paris-Roubaix said when they tested a rear-suspension road bike. It didn't feel different, but they felt more fresh afterwards.

I'd go for the Stumpy, since the 06 S-Works Stumpys have a Brain.

mtbr dismember

I have both

I have both. I don't race but I ride all day. Since I got the SJ I hate to ride the Epic. For shorter races the Epic would be better. But for a longer race the SJ would be way better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had same problem.. Stumpy or epic... I choose epic comp... I do mostly 3-7 hour races so I think epic is little better fot me. I think epic will climb better that stumpy.. my previous bike was hardtail.. So Epic with brain was my choice... Both are great bikes!!!