Thread: Stumpy or Cake?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Stumpy or Cake?

I have narrowed down my bike search to the Cake 2 DLX or the Stumpjumper FSR. Anyone got any feedback for me on these two bikes compared?

mtbr member
    I was in the place you are a year ago and test rode both the Cake and Stumpy. The Cake is nice and has more bottom bracket clearance but it did not seem to climb or ride as good to me as the Stumpy. The Stumpy seemed to handle better than the Cake.

I have a Stumpy 120 Pro and it is by far the best bike for me. If you can test ride them both then you can decide which fits you the best.

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    I'm trying to decide the same thing right now. I'm tossed between a Cake 1 and a Stumpy Expert. Cake 1 vs. Stumpy Comp, I'll think I'll go for the Cake. I don't think I'll be unhappy with either bike, but I the Stumpy Expert is my current favorite. It all comes down to whether or not I want to spend the extra bling.

I'm interested in your opinion as well.

Jim
    Imagination is more important than intelligence. - Albert Einstein

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkochag
    I have narrowed down my bike search to the Cake 2 DLX or the Stumpjumper FSR. Anyone got any feedback for me on these two bikes compared?
    I love my Stumpy (05 SJ Comp 100). I wasn't impressed with the Cake when I took it for a parking lot spin - SQUOOSH! Like riding a marshmallow. Coulda been the suspension settings on that particular bike, though.

mtbr member
    I rode a Cake3 for a year. I was sooo happy to get rid of it.

Cake3
    Positives
    Stretched feel is great for straight smooth singletrack and fireroads.
    Suspension works great under big hits.
    Higher BB
    Strong frame
    Hayes HFX-9 Brakes

Negatives
    Bontrager components suck
    Stretched position limits body english
    Climbing was difficult
    Standover height!
    Suspension didn't absorb small stuff well
    Single pivot hangs on obstacles instead of rolling over them
    Brake jack
    $ for $ doesn't compare to the Stumpy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stumpy feels like a true do-it-all trail bike. I was slower on the straight smooth singletrack on the Stumpy but my technical skills increased three fold. I can climb better with the Stumpy and descend much quicker than before. The active suspension makes the Stumpy fun to ride and works much better than the single pivot.

The Bontrager components on the Cake were crap. The crankset was rubbery and the wheels creaked since day one. I loved the brakes on the Cake and immediately ordered a set for the Stumpy. I upgraded the grips and seat on the Cake and moved those components to the Stumpy.

For the everyday bike, the Stumpy wins. IF I was looking for a FS race bike, I would consider the Cake.

BTW, The price difference between the two was $111 with the Stumpy being more expensive.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    NO CAKES!!!
    We have all but dropped The Cake/Palamino due to thier pivot problems. Our demo fleet had to be rebuilt and sold due to the bearings going bad(over and over) and Trek/GF telling us to use lock tite to fix the problem(which it did... till you rode it). The Fuel EX has had the same problem.
    I'm going to foward this to our rental manager and I bet he freaks and writes you guys a novel. Although he me just get that nervious tick again and not want to revisit those memories.

P.S. The Cake did ride like a dream it just fell apart.

Get the Stumpy

Gravity Rides Everything
    trek/fisher makes junk full suspension bikes compared to specialized. bonded (instead of welded) rear triangles, bad pivot designs, weird geometry. all imho of course. i had a fisher sugar and broke it in a season and a half or riding. the first set of bushings went in 6 monthes. just not a very good bike.

i've had 2 specialized fsr bikes and put well over 1000 hard miles on each. they've held up great, and the ride quality/handling is incredible.

mtbr member
    For the record, you're asking a question on the Specialized thread... the answers you're going to get here are just slightly biased towards the big S.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    For the record, you're asking a question on the Specialized thread... the answers you're going to get here are just slightly biased towards the big S.
    You will find MANY more complaints in the Trek/Fisher section than you will here. Check out the Definitive Cake Thread for all the problems.

The Definitive Cake Thread