Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010

Stumpy Cable Routing Question

On my SJ Hardtail 29er build, I'm ready to run some cables on my bare frame, and have a question. This is specifically for the rear derailleur cable. Which side of the headtube should I go? The cable stops seem to favor a right side (sitting on) approach, which would make you loop in both directions to get to the shifter (which sheldon says no) and allow for more cable rub on the frame (pic 1). But I am able to sneak it around the left side, though a touch tricky, for a single loop to the shifter, little or no frame contact (pic 2 and 3). Neither of them are extreme on the curves. Just looking for some input before I slice and dice. Thanks.

Last edited by one4teen; 02-04-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Go SOLAR...
    I would go as you have it in 3rd pic...go around head tube. Then take front shifter to remaining cable mount
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I agree with larlev - that is how I would route the gear outers. The loop at the frame cablestop will have very little, if any, effect on shifting.

I've routed the cables on many bike builds that way, so can definitely confirm that to be the case.

Plus, you won't need to use frame protection patches if you trim and loop the cables neatly.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Thanks fellas. Just what I wanted to hear.