mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Stumpy Bashgarud Question...

Hey guys! I want to loose the big ring on my stumpy and throw a bash gaurd on the middle ring. The specs on my chain ring sizes from the Specialized site are: 22,32,44. I really like the Gooldtooth bashgaurds, but they come in sizes of 34t,38t,44t. Which one would I need, the 34t to go on my 32 middle ring? Has anyone done this?

mtbr member
    The 34 tooth bashguard will protect up to a 34T middle ring so if you want to keep the 32T and not go a bit bigger, you're fine. You can get the 38T now in case you decide to put a bigger middle ring on at a later date.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Actually from what the specs...

are on the Goldtooth website, they come in 34, 38, and 42. What those numbers mean in relation to the bash guards are the largest chain ring sizes they will each portect. The smallest Goldtooth will protect up to a 34T chain ring. So if you are planning on loosing the big ring and replacing it with the bash guard you are fine, as your middle ring is a 32T and the 34 guard will cover up to a 34T ring. If you are planning on loosing the big ring and the middle ring, you're still okay, your small ring is only 22T. So you can go with the 34 no problem, or you can go bigger if you want. Personally I'd keep the small and middle rings and just replace the big ring with the bash guard. Fewer problems, no spacers required, and it gives you more gear options. Let's face it there will be times when you wanna go faster than the small ring will let you. Just a suggestion!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im running a 36/24 setup and find it to be perfect. i originally went with a 32/22 setup and found it to be too slow in the big ring and too granny in the granny gear. i believe in usung all the gears so i made my granny a tougher one so when at a 90 rpm spin it was still enough to get the job done. i am now contemplating upping it to a 26 tooth. after some time on the SS i need harder gears to spin. my advice is to go with a 38 tooth bash and get a larger granny. keep the mid ring where it is until you want to move up. you will adapt fast and when you need to change the chain/ring/cassette, just go bigger on the middle ring. the 2 ring setup is the bomb. i never used to use my big ring and the little guy was too small, now i have eighteen gears i use all the time instead of 18 i never use. and dont be afraid to bash the bash guard. too many wussies with nice shiny guards out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    are on the Goldtooth website, they come in 34, 38, and 42. What those numbers mean in relation to the bash guards are the largest chain ring sizes they will each portect. The smallest Goldtooth will protect up to a 34T chain ring. So if you are planning on loosing the big ring and replacing it with the bash guard you are fine, as your middle ring is a 32T and the 34 guard will cover up to a 34T ring. If you are planning on loosing the big ring and the middle ring, you're still okay, your small ring is only 22T. So you can go with the 34 no problem, or you can go bigger if you want. Personally I'd keep the small and middle rings and just replace the big ring with the bash guard. Fewer problems, no spacers required, and it gives you more gear options. Let's face it there will be times when you wanna go faster than the small ring will let you. Just a suggestion!

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks everyone for the input. I ordered a 38t goldtooth today. I'll post some pics when I've got it installed.

Epictrailrider.com
    There is a bashgaurd that fits on the outside of the big ring allowing you to keep it for any of us that use it still! Having just bent my big ring for the third time I am ordering one up!