mtbr member
    Mar 2008

stumpy for all mountain?

so im trying to decide what kind of bike i should get. ive been riding seriously for about 2 years now on an 04 GT i-drive 2.0 and thought its time to upgrade. i want to get into some XC racing along with some free riding. ive had my eyes on the stumpjumper mainly because it has the brain technology on it. after looking at the prices tho i thought i should just get the elite. pay alot less and do without the brain. after test riding a comp i feel like i just gotta have one now. but im not sure if a stumpjumper would be best for XC racing and light free riding. can anyone suggest what type of bike would be best for me? would it be better to get a stumpjumper for all mountain purposes / XC racing or would it be better to get something like an SX trail or Enduro. im on a tight budget. ive been told i might as well get 2 bikes but i just cant afford it.

main questions is:
    can stumpy do light free riding? if so...
    which bike stumpy? or something more on the free ride line?
    if anyone has ridden the brain, can you tell me what you think about it. is it worth the extra money going from an elite to the expert or even pro?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i was trying out a stumpy elite the other day its a great bike, light and tough, you could definately xc race it and its geo and travel will handle most all mountain stuff, if your a graceful rider itll also do jumps and drops pretty well, however if you want to go more towards freeride an enduro sl might be better, its also still a light bike you can definately do xc on it,

i have an SX on the way but this is a freeride bike, its burly and heavy and more of a gravity bike, i have my epic for the xc stuff, the Enduro sl is probably your best best as an all rounder for the type of riding you describe

my favourite thing about the brain is that i dont have to touch it, it just works when it has to and when it doesnt the rear is stiff, its definately not essential though and for the type of riding you describe, you dont need it

mtbr member
    Linga,

I've had my '07 Stumpy Expert for about 6 weeks now and love it. It excels on our local trail which is a mixture of almost every terrain you can think of (except sand.) Everything from fast flowy singletrack to technical rock gardens. The Stumpy just blazes through all of it. Last weekend I took it to a trail about 80 miles away that is what I'd call Extreme AM riding. Big loose rocks, steep uphills and downhills, very challenging to bike and rider. I was very suprised that the Stumpy more than held it's own with the other guys on longer travel bikes.

After riding mine for the last 6 weeks here's my opinion of the Stumpy, a fast AM bike very capable of racing but also handling any terrain you throw at it. Yes an Epic will be slightly faster but you give up alot in comfort. An Enduro will be more comfortable but nowhere near as fast. This is all JMHO.

After all that praise for the Stumpy, I'm considering moving up to a 6.5" travel bike. Mainly because I beginning to see my interests lie less in racing and more in the Extreme AM riding. Plus, I'm old and think I would enjoy the plushness of that extra inch of travel.

Good luck with your decision, you won't be disappointed in the SJ!
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks purs. i decided to get a stumpy. i think a free ride bike will be next in line after i get a stumpy. but that is when i have the money to get one. your praise for the stumpy got me sold on it even more.

mtbr member
    its awesome. if i had to sell my 4 mtn bikes and buy just one, it'd be the stumpy, and i race XC and do tough AM riding. youll love it.

mtbr member
    sounds to me like you have the same type of riding style as me. I dont race xc, but do ride hard a lot for long distances. I also do some freeride/jumping, but nothing huge (usually gap jumps are no larger that 10 or 15 feet and drops no bigger than 10 or 12 feet, but i did jump down a hill and measured from where i landed and was around 17ft drop). For all mountain, you are going to want more travel, so I'd go with any one of the models that has 140mm of travel. Or you can buy the comp model and take out the spacers to make the fork 140mm (which i am in the process of doing). In summary, the stumpy sounds like a good call for you.

mtbr member
    ***correction. Upon further research, I just figured out that the 08 stumpys only come with 120. It appears that most of them have the spacers, so you could convert the fork to 140. The 07 stumpys, though, which I have, have 140 standard on some of them

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    would taking out the spacers require taking the forks apart?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a 2007 Elite and I use it for the same purposes that you describe. Its a more than capable All Mountain type bike that I also do enduro racing with (24 hour events and epic stage races). I initially bought it to do the Trans Rockies, but with me getting married this summer I have had to put that off a year. Maybe I'll convince my wife to be my partner in the event next year.

One thing you could do to extend the fork travel on an 08 is send it to PUSH and get it tuned for your bodyweight and riding style at the same time. Just an idea.

dweeby
    I have had the 07 stumpy for a year and still love it and as others have said it's light enough to ride fast and tough enough to ride hard. I did however convert my fork to 140mm for about a week and then put it back to 120mm and it has stayed that way for a year. It's just more balanced and climbs better, it just felt strange with 140 up front and 120 at the back. Once again, great bike.