mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Stumpy 98 need new fork

Hi there,

First post, I'm from Scotland with a 1998 M2 green stumpy. Nothing standard I think.

It came with SID race forks, 62mm of travel. The stantions are now goosed. So am looking for a cheap replacement.

I have been eyeing up Marzocchi MX Comp '06 with 105mm of travel. I am wondering if anyone has tried something with that amount of travel on a frame of that vintage, and what was it like.

Thanks.

See ya,

Roddy

mtbr member
    I put an adjustable 80/100 manitou black on my 98 stumpy pro. Worked fine, but made the front wander a bit on steep climbs. Other than that it was fine. Made technical downhills alot more fun than the stock fork.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, if you go to a 100mm fork, it's best if it has a shorter travel option (ETA or U-turn or), since climbing probably won't be fun at 100mm.

I'm not a fan of the MX Comp forks (ssv damping?). If you look you might find a pre '06 marathon for a decent price. I occasionally see 85mm Marathon forks for sale on ebay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just got a Marzocchi MZ-3 for my 99 stumpy comp. Got it new for $80 from a local shop. it was a take off from an 06 hardrock pro disk. I havnt taken it to a trail yet, but plan to this weekend. After just testing it out around the block the front is a bit taller, and i could see it getting lite on a steep climb. Ill let you know how it works out.
    Three out of the four voices in my head say, "Go for it!"

2010 Ventana El Comandante

08 Kona Unit 2-9

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a green 98 M2 Stumpjumper and I run a 100 mm '02 Marzocchi MXR it handles great! I would highly reconmend the upgrade. It makes the bike much more "trail friendly."