Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

stumpy 04 fsr transformation

i'm currently bringing my stumpy up to date, started just after christmas with the betd linkage which has proved very smooth and made a good addition to my talas fork. just fitted a chris king headset, and have started the save for some wheels and brakes etc. post your 04 stumpy pictures on this thread with your spec.

frame 04 fsr medium betd linkage 130mm
    fork 04 talas rlc 90-125
    headset chris king
    brakes standard
    shifters xo
    groupset mix
    wheels standard
    Copy of jan feb 07 036.jpg

jan feb 07 037.jpg

jan feb 07 038.jpg

jan feb 07 039.jpg
    ]
    Solemon
    04 stumpy FSR X0

mtbr member
    Looks great! Make sure you put one or two more zip ties on your front brake line. One up higher on the leg and one on the arch. It may need some adjustment with the MOTO brake setup.
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

mtbr member
    Sweet

I have an 04 to, how do you like the betd link? What size fork? I was running an 120mm marathon w/the stock link and like the geometry better htan the oem 100mm black. I since stripped the SJ to biuld up an 05 enduro, but its kinda a pig and thinking of going back to the SJ.

sweet ride
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks for that wayne the link has really made a difference, unfortunately i have to run a high pressure in the shock, so don't know what the reliability will be but for now really happy, fork set at max travel 125mm so should be well balanced, hopefuuly get out in next couple of weeks to try it out properely.
    Solemon
    04 stumpy FSR X0

mtbr member
    Its funny, before I bought my Elite, I was actually going to get the comp because I have a ton of premo components that I was gonna swap on, but couldnt stand the color. Now after seeing yours in worn in shape, looks sweet. Definatley different.
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    2004 stumpy pro

Fox Vanilla RLC 130 06
    OE Triad
    Easton 50 bars/post
    Thompson 100mm stem
    Hope mono brakes 185/165
    Hope headset and skewers
    Hope hubs
    Mavic rims on DT swiss spokes
    Mostly XT with XTR chain and cables
    DX spds
    Blackspire front cogs and lite bash guard
    Fizzik nisene cp3 saddle

Martin

Explore More

Wheel Option

Quote Originally Posted by solemon
    just fitted a chris king headset, and have started the save for some wheels and brakes etc.
    If you're looking at XC wheels, check out www.oddsandendos.com.

You can get a great custom 1600gram set of wheels for under $400. No need to spend twice that on some factory Mavics or such!

Had Mike build me a set last Summer with WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs, Velocity VXC rims and DT Swiss SuperComp spokes to replace the stockers on my 06 Stumpy. They perform wonderfully and I still haven't had to put a spoke wrench to them! Damn hard deal to beat for $380, shipping included!

Ride On!

mtbr member
    Heres my 04 e;ite w/the mav fork which I only took out a handful of time for fear of failing the frame, I also ran the oem black and a 120 marathon. I currently have a 05 sworks enduro, but I think im going back to the SJ, its just perfect.

wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi All,

Anyone else have any experience of the BETD link or Hope floating rotors, both are on my shopping list. I have an 04 stumpy with rockshox reba forks, only 115mm max and wondered if the head angle might be too tight if I run the rear BETD link on 130mm and the front forks on 115mm. Any comments welcome.
    Here is my bike after a winter clean.
    Cheers,

Kev
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    very nice mate, won't be long and we're get it dirty again. just got to let everything settle at home with maxim,

cheers
    shippers
    Solemon
    04 stumpy FSR X0

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Very nice bike you build up there.

do you think the 04 frame is comparable with the 07 fsr xc frame?
    I have an FSR xc and want to build it up to an AM bike.. I already have the wheels ( sun single tracks) and the new Brakes are comping up. The BETD link is still on the wish list.

But i have doubts about the Frame.. Can it handle AM riding..

Jappo

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi Jappo, I know Solemon and his bike is a really nice ride with the BETD link so I will probably go for it anyway. I emailed Mojo the weekend to see what they thought and if the shock / frame would be ok. I know in most of the reviews of the link most people say it is worth it., Here is what Mojo replied with hope it helps.

Shock should survive it OK, but the bike will handle differently, itíll raise the BB a bit and make it feel top heavy and short. Thatíll be your call obviously, I would say if you want a longer travel bike, sell yours and get a longer travel bike? Youíll end up with several broken bits of short travel specialized none of which make a complete saleable bike? The bike was designed for XC riding and if you make it longer travel and treat it to a bit of trail centre freeridingÖ you know what I mean.

Cheers

ChrisP

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    hmm ok.. The problem is I havent got the money for a new bike more suitable to my (new) style of riding..
    I see many SJ built to resist agressive XC / All Mountain biking.. Some say my FSR XC 07 frame is the same as an FSR SJ 04/05 frame..The frame is my only concern at the moment.. I can upgrade as many components as i want but the frame.. you catch my drift ?
    I understand that i cannot do drops of an 3 or 4 but i think that a frame can handle a bit "abuse"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, it will handle some abuse maybe for a while, but
    have you thought about the new Enduro SL?
    (or Giant Reign...)
    which are "AM" bikes made for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jappo
    hmm ok.. The problem is I havent got the money for a new bike more suitable to my (new) style of riding..
    Yes i've looked at those bikes, actualy i look at them every day in the threads..

You have an FSR XC.. do you do regular drops / jumps ? and i mean by that no huge jumps or drops but mainly things you encounter on your trail..

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by submariner
    Hi All,
    Anyone else have any experience of the BETD link or Hope floating rotors, both are on my shopping list. I have an 04 stumpy with rockshox reba forks, only 115mm max and wondered if the head angle might be too tight if I run the rear BETD link on 130mm and the front forks on 115mm. Any comments welcome.
    Kev
    Last october I put a Talas 90-130mm on my 100mm FSR 04. This felt great because it allowed a much slacker headangle. With the original link I ran the fork at around 115/120mm. The Talas is so much better than the Minute 2 I used before.

Last month I put a BETD-link on the bike. Althouth I knew what too expect, I personally don't like the fact that the link also lifts the BB quite a bit. On my bike this negates the slacker frontend which the 130mm fork setting provided. Because of the additional BB-height I think the headangle is even steeper than before. Right now I do run a bigger front-tire to lift the front end a bit. With the saddle at CC-height it's noticeable more difficult to get my leg over the saddle. The difference in height is 13.37-12.8" or 14.5mm (now I've actually looked at these figures it really doesn't seem much difference).

The link seems noticeably stiffer, because of this I don't notice the play in the main pivot as much as before. The shock bushing is really good, really tight, no play here whatsoever. Only play I now feel is from the bushing on the front of the shock, so I need to replace this soon.

For foto's of the link see http://picasaweb.google.com/RvdOooo/BETDLink. As you can see I experimented a bit with the link.

Right now I've put the link in the 100mm position which lifts the bike slightly and allows me to run the Talas in the 130mm setting without making the headangle too slack.

I started thinking a bit about the geometry I would like if I where to buy a new bike and came too the conclusion that Specialized frame and geometry in general (Stumpjumper/Enduro) is exactly what I would like in a frame:
    - very low standover height (<30", FSR is 28.6" in L)
    - short chainstays (<17", FSR is 16.7")
    - horst-link
    - relatively low BB (12.8"), lowers your center of gravity, even if it means hitting rocks the pedals once in a while.
    - new stumpjumpers also have a slightly slacker headangle than before.

Also I have some problems with my main pivot, had to replace multiple bearingsets as well as the pivot axle, develops play over time. So this frame is pretty much shot already after 3 years of use.
    So I started thinking about the benefits single-pivot frames (e.g. Heckler) could offer. But I came to the conclusion that although it sounds like 4 linkages means more bearings and 4 times as much maintenance, in practice the horst-link and shock-link bearings hardly require if at all any maintenance. The weak points are the main pivot bearing as well as the shock bushings. Exactly the weak spots a single pivot bike would also have.
    Last edited by djska; 02-23-2007 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Smile

I agree, Wife won't let me buy a new frame either so this frame will have to take a bit of abuse. I have taken my bike to Afan, Kirroughtree, Dalbeatie, The Quantocks and Holden. Whilst I know I am no freeride jump god the frame seems to take everything I use it for, I just want a bit more travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I agree, Wife won't let me buy a new frame either so this frame will have to take a bit of abuse. I have taken my bike to Afan, Kirroughtree, Dalbeatie, The Quantocks and Holden. Whilst I know I am no freeride jump god the frame seems to take everything I use it for, I just want a bit more travel.
    Hopefully my FSR04 frame spontaneously breaks in two some day, giving me a reason to go for the Enduro SL frame. Not too keen on the new forks though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Smile

Good post and nice bike djska,

Really helpful, I didn't realise you could reverse the original link or the BETD link for that matter. When you say you reversed the original link what effect did this have if any.

Solemon and myself were also looking at single pivot bikes like the new Orange 5 or new Heckler but my wife doesn't know that!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    she will if i tell her mate
    Solemon
    04 stumpy FSR X0

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Good job!

Hi Solmon,

I will have to try your bike with the Talas forks set to around the same height as mine, 115mm to see what it feels like. I also emailed Rob at BETD to see what he thought about have a shorter travel front end and he replied, If you run 130mm on the rear you will tighten your head angle by approx 0.75 degree.
    Speak to you later mate.

mtbr member
    Did Specd warrenty the link or did you just buy the BETD?

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Good post and nice bike djska,

Really helpful, I didn't realise you could reverse the original link or the BETD link for that matter. When you say you reversed the original link what effect did this have if any.
    No can you can't, that's why I made the photo's so you can see for yourself!
    Solemon and myself were also looking at single pivot bikes like the new Orange 5 or new Heckler but my wife doesn't know that!!!
    I looked at a frame-only replacement, new frames are often so expensive that you might as well buy the complete bike, as is the case with the new enduro SL! So I was looking at 2nd hand of possible last years versions of:
    - Heckler
    - Moorewood Shova ST (really nice one)

Also like Transition bikes!
    Last edited by djska; 02-23-2007 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi Solmon,

I will have to try your bike with the Talas forks set to around the same height as mine, 115mm to see what it feels like. I also emailed Rob at BETD to see what he thought about have a shorter travel front end and he replied, If you run 130mm on the rear you will tighten your head angle by approx 0.75 degree.
    Speak to you later mate.
    I think one inch of change on the front or rear will change the head-angle about 1 degree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Transition Bikes

Hi djska,

Local bike shop used to have transition bikes but I believe there is no UK importer any more. From what I have seen and the videos on their website look pretty nice though, I like the Preston FR.
    Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast