mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. Stumpjumper vs Titus motolite

I am trying to decide what bike to purchase, titus motolite ($$$ouch) or the stumpjumper. I realize that the titus uses the FSR technology and wonder why people would pay so much more for a titus. I know that the titus is a very well built bike but the stumpjumper is too. I am riding a NRS and am tired of the rough ride. I am leaning heavily towards the stumpjumper (just buying the frame) because of the price. I race XC 3-4 times a year in sport class and the rest is recreational XC...like to go fast. Does anyone have any experience with both the titus motolite and stumpjumper and can they tell me why I should by a titus over the stumpjumper? Thanks for your replies in advance.

Gravity Rides Everything
    titus will probably last a little longer due to the more robust pivots (quad bearings etc)
    specialized makes a real nice bike too.

if it's between the spec. S-works and the titus I'd take the titus.

if ya need a medium 120 frame, I might sell ya mine.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    titus will probably last a little longer due to the more robust pivots (quad bearings etc)
    specialized makes a real nice bike too.

if it's between the spec. S-works and the titus I'd take the titus.

if ya need a medium 120 frame, I might sell ya mine.

How Much?
    Astigmatic Visionary

Bike to the Bone...
    I just bought a Moto Lite, and my prev. bike is a Stumpjumper FSR 100.

I like both, but I think that part of my decision was that I was looking for a bike with a little longer travel, I could have gone to a Stump 120, but I have always wanted a Moto Lite, I felt that it was a very good bike.

Now, my Stumpy cost me 1,200 last year (the store was getting the new 05 models, and had mine for sale). My Moto Lite costed me 3,000, so it's not a head to head comparison. Also, my Stump is XL sized, wich was a little outstreched fit for me. It was nice for fireroads, but on singletrack I felt it a little big, and the ML is better fitted. So again, there will be difference in results.

The Moto Lite is a very well balanced bike, you have the option on changing rear travel between 4" and 5", and if you pair it with a Fox Talas, you could match the front with the rear travel pretty easy. It is a little more sturdy, has a higher BB.

Both bikes are very good as a trailbikes, great for cornering, climbing and descending, but the ML is a little better IMO.

The Stump model that would compare in price with my Moto Lite (I built mine for around 3,020) would be Stumpjumper FSR 120 Pro with a suggested list price of 3,100. I think you could find a better price at the store, specially if you wait for end of the year sales.

The specs are pretty similar (I have a Talas R vs a Manitou Minute 1, both with 100-130 travel, I like the Talas better), the Stump would have a better crankset (XT vs my Hone), all the rest pretty similar.... so, maybe the ML would be a better choise? It just depends. I think that the Stump would be easier to find and get a better price, specially by the end of the year. Also, maybe there are more LBS that sells Spec. vs Titus.

I'm happy with my Moto Lite, and I'm now selling my Stumpy FSR bike. I wish that I could keep both, but I feel that they are very similar bikes.
    I still think Specialized rocks!

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    How Much?

i was hoping to get like 700 for it.
    The shock needs a rebuild. I'll probably send it to push before selling it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [QUOTE=rzozaya1969]
    The Moto Lite is a very well balanced bike, you have the option on changing rear travel between 4" and 5",

Thanks for your response, that helped tremendously being that you are an owner of both. The only problem with the stumpy 120 is racing it, I don't see that bike being a good race bike because of the travel. On the other hand the motolite can be because you can change the travel in the rear...I have the U-turn Reba up front, perfect match for racing days. I think the motolite is the way to go for me. Thanks the help!

Bike to the Bone...
    [QUOTE=maxout]
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    The Moto Lite is a very well balanced bike, you have the option on changing rear travel between 4" and 5",

Thanks for your response, that helped tremendously being that you are an owner of both. The only problem with the stumpy 120 is racing it, I don't see that bike being a good race bike because of the travel. On the other hand the motolite can be because you can change the travel in the rear...I have the U-turn Reba up front, perfect match for racing days. I think the motolite is the way to go for me. Thanks the help!
    If you're looking to buy one, try Speedgoat.com. They're very good and you can end up with a very nice setup.

mtbr member
    Let's see....

Specialized -life time warranty on frame.

Titus -not life time

FS bikes tend to break more, especially under aggressive riders.

So more money on a frame that is made overseas like the SJ and has a much shorter warranty. Doesn't make sense to me.

Sure the ML may be a slightly better bike, but not worth double the money and potential headaches replacing. Just my 2 bits..

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohn78
    Let's see....

Specialized -life time warranty on frame.

Titus -not life time

FS bikes tend to break more, especially under aggressive riders.

So more money on a frame that is made overseas like the SJ and has a much shorter warranty. Doesn't make sense to me.

Sure the ML may be a slightly better bike, but not worth double the money and potential headaches replacing. Just my 2 bits..
    ML, despite the other threads, are not made overseas....yet.

Regarding price, while it is true that you can get a Stumpjumper FSR for less money than a Moto Lite, if you decide to use similar components, both are very close at a price.

Using the kits from Titus, the base price for a complete bike is 2,300 USD, add $110 for the RP3 if you want to adjust ProPedal. For 3,070 you get the next kit which has some sweet components, like a RS Pike or Fox Float. So maybe in components the stumpy will be a little cheaper, or have a little sweeter components, but can't change rear travel.

Both bikes are the same price for the same or similar compontents, but you get a better bike with a ML... You can get a lower priced Stumpjumper, but you will get also lower components, so it's just depends what you prefer. I've chequed my ML with a Stump FSR 120 Pro, both are pretty similar in build, I got a Talas vs a Minute One in the Stump, the other stuff are similar, both at 3,100 more or less.

The ML is more strongly built that the Stumpjumper (I have both bikes, and when comparing, the Stump is not as strong, specially at the rear triangle).

Maybe you'll get better warranty with Specialized, which I have proveen because when the rear derailleur hanger broke, it decided to break part of the seatstay with it. You'll get shorter warranty on the Titus, but a harder to break frame. IMHO, its a tradeoff.

Even then, I really like both bikes. I think both are very good quality and have good handling.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    ML
    Even then, I really like both bikes. I think both are very good quality and have good handling.
    Guys, do you think you can race the 120 stumpy and be competitive? Realistically, what do you think you could get the 120 Stumpy down to in weight? The travel doesn't bother me too much..the bike handles well, just concerned about weight mostly. Honestly, I would rather buy the stumpy for the price and warranty, keep in mind also, I will be just buying the frame and building it up myself.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by maxout
    Guys, do you think you can race the 120 stumpy and be competitive? Realistically, what do you think you could get the 120 Stumpy down to in weight? The travel doesn't bother me too much..the bike handles well, just concerned about weight mostly. Honestly, I would rather buy the stumpy for the price and warranty, keep in mind also, I will be just buying the frame and building it up myself.
    I don't know much about the frame weight, but I believe you can get a pretty light Stumpy. If you're more intrested in XC racing, why don't you look at the Stumpjumper FSR 100?

I think that my Stumpjumper is a little lighter in weight than my Moto Lite (but I went with heavier stuff on my Moto Lite, so I don't know how light can you build both).

Bike to the Bone...
    Another thing I forgot to post, is that the Moto Lite has a taller BB. It helps on rock gardens and technical trails, but the lower BB on the Stump may help on fast sections that don't have lot of debris in the way.

It's costing me somehow to get used to a taller BB, though. On some obstacles where I felt I wouldn't pass them, I stopped and walked them and found that the bike would have cleared them.

But on smoother terrain, the Stumpy lower BB makes it a little more stable. I haven't tried the ML on 4" mode, so I can't tell if there will be a difference there.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by maxout

I've raced a 29 lb SJ 120 expert with some success. (stock with time alium pedals and hope Mono M4 brakes 200/180 rotors) On rougher/longer races it's great. on NORBA style field races, probably not the perfect tool for the job.

25-26 lbs would be easily achieved. my wheels/brakes are boat anchors compared to some stuff out there. you could do a light seatpost and carbon bars and maybe some lighter tires to really get the weight down.