mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Stumpjumper versus FSR XC

Just getting back into mountain biking after quite some time. My first was a Stumpjumper back in 1982. I am wondering what might be the best bike for me now. I will be using it on beginner and intermediate trails. Nothing to radical. I was all set to purchase a Stumpjumper FSR Comp and my dealer tried to shift me into a FSR XC Comp. He said that the Stumpjumper is really set-up as a racing bike and that the XC geometry is more forgiving going downhill. I can't disagree that the top tube length of the Stumpjumper is a bit longer; however, I really like the quality of the components and lighter weight on the Stumpjumper as compared to the the FSR XC.

Is the Stumpjumper really a racing bike? Does it matter for my intended use? Suggestions.

Thanks -

William

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have an xc comp and ride on all kinds of trails and i love it!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had an 05' XC as my first real mountain bike, I bought the lowest end model and rode all kinds of trails and it handled them just fine. I just wished it were lighter. After a few years I upgraded everything on it and dropped about 4lbs. It rode MUCH better.

The Stumpjumper has more travel and has a lighter frame. I Demo'd an 07' Stupjumper Pro at one of my favorite trails and was blown away at how much more capable it was, it probably had something to do with the 4K price tag and high end parts.

I think it boils down to how much travel you need and the component level you get with the bike. The parts will make a huge difference in making a bike great. It's much more economical to buy the higher spec'd bike from the start.

FWIW I just bought an 07' SJ Expert and am very happy with it.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the bike shop guy is talking rubbish!!! the SJ is basically better at doing everything than the xc, lighter weight more travel its better at going up and way better at going down, the xc and SJ are good at doing a little bit of everything, the difference is the SJ does it better, if i were you id go for an elite, great bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    the bike shop guy is talking rubbish!!! the SJ is basically better at doing everything than the xc, lighter weight more travel its better at going up and way better at going down, the xc and SJ are good at doing a little bit of everything, the difference is the SJ does it better, if i were you id go for an elite, great bike.

Thanks - That's what I was thinking. It might be a coincidence but the dealer had no large SJs in stock but had plenty of XCs.

William

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have an XC and, although I love it, the SJ is definitely a nicer bike and not a fragile "race-only" bike either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well - I went to a different dealer. The first dealer was 3 miles away and the second 5 miles - no biggie. I came away from the second dealer with a totally different experience. He thought that the SJ was the way to go. I ordered a Comp which should be ready in a couple of days. Can't wait. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

William

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The FSR XC is the same frame as an '06 stumpjumper, so I don't know what that guy was talking about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioteknik
    The FSR XC is the same frame as an '06 stumpjumper, so I don't know what that guy was talking about.
    If you look at the Specialized website, you'll see that the 06 stumpjumper and 07/08 FSRxc do not have the same frame. the seat tube/ top tube junction is completely different. If they're the same, then it's only the downtube and headtube that are the same!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    different frames indeed, the older SJs had a very similar geometry to the current XCs though

Huh?
    He said the XC geometry is better downhill? What?

Bring back the Tour de GA
    You're going to love the Stumpy FSR Comp. I sure am loving mine. Just a great all around mountain bike.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt