mtbr member
    Oct 2004

stumpjumper and trunk rack

Anyone know if a '06 stumpjumper FSR will fit on a trunk mounted rack (Thule)? If not will the Yakima Tubetop work adequately or is it better to just get a new rack?

Sweat is just fat crying.

No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by collinja
    Anyone know if a '06 stumpjumper FSR will fit on a trunk mounted rack (Thule)? If not will the Yakima Tubetop work adequately or is it better to just get a new rack?
    I have an Enduro, and use the Performance thingy. Had an older Yakima thingy, and after it dropped my bike on the freeway, I bought the Performance thingy.

Don't see why it wouldn't work for your bike. Just remember to put your seat most of the way down when using the thingy, so the thingy isn't stretched out too far.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=4414#

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I have an Enduro, and use the Performance thingy. Had an older Yakima thingy, and after it dropped my bike on the freeway, I bought the Performance thingy.

Don't see why it wouldn't work for your bike. Just remember to put your seat most of the way down when using the thingy, so the thingy isn't stretched out too far.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=4414#

fp
    Thanks for the info. Yes, avoiding leaving an unexpected speed bump on the freeway is my top priority!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by collinja
    I have carried Stumpy's on a few different trunk racks. I just put one of the load bars underneath the top tube and the other underneath the shock linkage between the seat tube and rear tire. The bike does sit a little higher in the air with respect to your car compared to normal, but it is very secure and doesn't require buying anything else which may fail on you.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member

I use the crossbar

I use the crossbar, similar to the the proformance thingy mine is manufactured by Saris.

mtbr member

Be careful w/ trunk mounted racks & stumpies!!!

My buddy has a trunk mounted rack & we fit my 04 SJ on there one day...when we backed out of driveway (which is at slight angle) the front tire (which was lower than the rear due to the way we had to mount it) hit the pavement & tacoed!!
    Talk about a friggin 'SONOFABEYOTCH' moment!
    Ruined our ride, and cost me a new rim...

Just a warning...take the front tire off!

JW
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

HammerHead

use bungee cords

Whatever you choose, double secure your bike to rack with additional bungee cords, I had original securing straps crack, get loose, and break
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"