mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Stumpjumper Tires

Last November I purchased a 08 SJ FSR Comp from my LBS that didn't come with the S -Works Captain tires. Being that I am new to mtb I did't realize I was riding on the resoulution tires that are on the Hardrock. After many many flat tires and the tires wearing out I replaced them with Panaracer XC Pros and it seems I am riding a different bike.The mechanic who was changing the tires told me the tires I had on my bike were not the original specd tires for your bike, this was after the new tires were paid for and put on the bike. My question is this normal for manufactures to switch tires and should there be some kind of compensation for the new tires?

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Could be that the shop made the switch on the floor. If someone was looking for a set of Captains they may have pulled them off a bike on the floor and mounted the resolutions in place. Would be surprised if they left Specialized with the wrong tires. Check with the shop if you feel you were wronged.

For the record - the resolution tread pattern is a great tire. The ones you had were probably steel bead and heavier than the new tires and that is the reason for the bike feeling better now - lighter tires are easier to accelerate.

The flats you suffered were not due to the tires. If anything, the heavier Resolutions would have been more durable than the lighter weight Captains.

Ride Like the Wind
    Did you check to see if the wheels werent switched as well??I'm not sure why your bike came with other tires than what was spec'ed,I have not heard of that happening on brand new bike's.YOu didnt buy your bike as a floor model or anything did you?they might have threw on a pair of new tires if they had been used so the bike looked new to sell it.

turtles make me hot
    Yeah. Look at your hubs and rims and make sure that's what's supposed to be on there. Some kid assembling bikes there could have pulled a switch on you while building the bike.
    Not at all on the same scale, but the little snot that rang me up for my bike stole my Sagometer and my CB cleats.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    My 07 Stumpy came with different tire than specd but they were fine. The specd list on Specialized site says something along the lines of "subject to change".
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    My 07 Stumpy came with different tire than specd but they were fine. The specd list on Specialized site says something along the lines of "subject to change".
    I read the same thing reguarding "subject to change" I made a a point of not blaming my LBS. Even if they did do it, I would still use their services. I guess what is bothering me is that there is such a big difference between what I was riding before.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I believe Resolutions came stock on 07 SJ's. Those Panaracers you got i think cost almost double the price of the Resolutions so I would expect them to perform better. I would've asked my LBS if that happened to me because the Captain and Resolutions are not even the same level tires.

Religion = Non-thinking
    the resolutions are pretty decent off road tires... i'd guess that they grip better than the fast trak tires on the SJ
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had the resolutions on my 07 Hardrock and never got a flat. The first day out on my new 09 stumpy elite with the captains i got a flat. I read some where on here that alot of people got flats with the captains So i would not complain. Now i run michelin hot s's They are not bad but need more side grip for corners

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i had resolutions on my old 07 xc and they were a great tyre, never had a problem with them, the s works captains have good grip but the sidewall is pathetically thin, i changed them out for minions, sadly i had to sell my dear 09 stumpy, my sx trail is now my do it all bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by steve32300
    Did you check to see if the wheels werent switched as well??I'm not sure why your bike came with other tires than what was spec'ed,I have not heard of that happening on brand new bike's.YOu didnt buy your bike as a floor model or anything did you?they might have threw on a pair of new tires if they had been used so the bike looked new to sell it.
    not a floor model

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Good job! Follow up

The MGR at Wheel World in Woodland Ca listened to my story and without questions gave me a $50 dollar gift certifictic. This was after I told him I thougt this was something he should be aware of and I was not expecting compensation. Great service !