amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Stumpjumper sizing help

All,

I am smack dab in the middle of sizing for the stumpjumper. At 6'1.5 with a 35.5" inseam, my legs are quite long. As a result, the reach of a Large feels fine with a 110mm stem, but I need a 400mm seatpost to get the proper seat height.

I don't have access to an XL to try unfortunately, but I was wondering if anyone would have any counsel as it relates to either the SJ or having a long seatpost in general. Good? Bad?

Anyone out there prefer a smaller frame anyway?

TIA

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    A size large Stumpjumper comes stock with a 400mm seatpost, so that length is not anything to worry about. You stated that the reach feels fine with the increased stem height, so the large should work. IMO, always better to go with the smaller of the two sizes you're in between.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingoutlaw View Post
    A size large Stumpjumper comes stock with a 400mm seatpost, so that length is not anything to worry about. You stated that the reach feels fine with the increased stem height, so the large should work. IMO, always better to go with the smaller of the two sizes you're in between.
    +1

The only thing to consider is if you're looking for a dropper post later, dno if they come in 400 mm. Otherwize the most important measurement is ofcourse the effective top tub, so I think you should go for the large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well if this helps I went with an XL stumpy fsr 26er. Im 6ft 3" and have a 35 inch true inseam. On the large my seatpost was sky high and I felt cramped. A large should work for you, however the stock stem lengths on the new stumpys for L & XL frames are 90mm. Its best to probably wait till you test an XL before making the purchase. A good bike shop will order you one, and if it doesnt work go with the Large.