mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Stumpjumper shock question.

So I have a 2012 Stumpy comp. I have decided that the Triad 2 shock that comes on it blows through the travel easily and I wanted to get the RP23 for it. Of course, a call to specialized after ordering from my local shop tells me that they "MAY" be available in small supply late march!

Instead of waiting, I took my current shock and "y" yoke to a good friend with a machine shop. He was able to make a new "y" yoke so that I can now run a standard RP23 with eyelet on both sides. This will allow me to run a standard 2" stroke shock on a stumpjumper and not have to deal with the special shock from specialized.

So I fit it up with an old blown up rp2 to check clearence and fit and it all works perfect!

Here is where the problem comes in. I go to order a standard rp23 shock online and when ordering, I pick the size I need but they tell me to enter the year, make, and model of the bike the shock is for. When I do that, 3 different places tell me the shock won't fit the 2012 stumpjumper. So, I call them to explain what I have made and they tell me they need this info to get the right tune on the shock and fox keeps sending it back as "wont fit bike specified"

Does anyone know if I can order it as "mid tune" "hard tune" or by giving them the leverage ratio of the bike. If that is the case does anyone know the leverage ratio or the tune I will need for the stumpy?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How about buying a used one and sending it to Push? They will dial it in. Are you adding another pivot with the new Y link? The standard Y is a solid unit with the shock right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Buying a used one and sending it to push is an option. Just haven't found one yet.

There is no extra pivot in this link and it mounts rigid just like the stock one. We simply increased the diameter of the yoke end where it meets the shock. We then milled it out so a standard shock eye end will fit in it and then a bolt goes in from the side through the shock eye and and threads into the other side of the yoke. Much like the mounting on the front. It was a really easy part to make and I'm not sure why specialized didn't design it this way in the first place. It all mounts up rigid like the original and there are no fit issues. The only difference is that the shock used will be a 7.5" long x 2" stroke instead of a 7.75" x 2" stroke. Same travel just had to go slightly shorter for clearance of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is the new link changing the geometry of the frame or the BB height?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, the new link does not change the geometry or BB height what so ever. It is the exact same overall length and fits in the exact space with no geometry changes.

However, we did look at it and by just making the link just slightly shorter we could make a link that would change the head angle and lower the BB much like the change on the EVO.The difference is they lowered the pivot on the Link on the EVO to increase travel as well. Making the yoke shorter will only give you the geo changes and not alter the travel. I don't think they make a shock the size we use with slightly more travel than 2" to get the extra travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think it's awesome that you are modding, just know it voids warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, we made a whole new yoke so if there ever is a problem I'll just swap the stock one back on and no one will know any different.

mtbr member
    Can you post some pics this I got to see.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Can you post some pics this I got to see.
    X2
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I promise to post up picks for you guys. Unfortunately, I didn't snap any before I took it off to be anodized. I dropped it off yesterday and they were trying to get it done today, but after a call to them it seems like I will be waiting until Monday to get it back.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Any update???

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not yet. My buddy picked up the yoke for me the other day. However, before I picked it up, I noticed my bottom bracket was making noise. After an inspection at the LBS, we discovered a crack in the frame. Specialized is sending me a new evo frame as a replacement.

However, I have decided to buy a new Enduro S-works frame so I will be selling the Stumpy evo frame when it arrives. I will still snap some photos of the link installed on my buddies bike. ( he has been riding it for 3 days already, and loves it!) I will be meeting up with him for a ride tomorrow so I will take some photos and videos of it in action then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How did the frame warranty work out? Was Specialized easy to deal with? Did you have to request an evo frame instead and was there an up charge?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Natban View Post
    How did the frame warranty work out? Was Specialized easy to deal with? Did you have to request an evo frame instead and was there an up charge?
    I really don't know how it all worked out. My LBS knew I was considering an Enduro, So when they found the crack in the frame and told me about it they said they would see if specialized would consider sending an enduro frame instead at an upcharge. Specialized said they could not do that but offered up a stumpy EVO frame instead. My bike shop then called me to ask if that was acceptable and of course I said yes. Of course, specialize sent the EVO frame without shock so the bike would still have a triad on it.

I decided to order an S-Works enduro frame and am building it up with the parts from my origianal bike. The Evo frame and standard fork are going up for sale as soon as it gets here. so I can get some cash for the longer fork for the Enduro.

My LBS said specialized was very easy to work with and they had it figured out the same day. I didn't even have to do anything as my LBS had it all set by the time I got there afterwork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    did we ever end up with pics of this mod on the forum anywhere? very keen to see this in action.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I've had an offer from a client who is an engineer and works with CAD to draw this up for me and get it made, would still really love to see pics of this to share with him and clear up any questions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    im interested in seeing this too. The KONA Process bike has something very similar. It is what i'd try to make, if i could machine stuff. more info here:
    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | ENDURO | PROCESS 134 DL

mtbr member
    Seems like a lot of trouble to solve an issue that a volume spacer could solve.Not to mention that you have no idea how the getto link changed the leverage and behavior of the shock.How do you know you didn't just make the leverage even more linear?Not to mention you voided your warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Seems like a lot of trouble to solve an issue that a volume spacer could solve.Not to mention that you have no idea how the getto link changed the leverage and behavior of the shock.How do you know you didn't just make the leverage even more linear?Not to mention you voided your warranty.
    It's not really a question of travel, so much as you cannot get a replacement shock of decent standard. If you own a stumpy, you can't just go buy a new rp23 or float x or monarch etc..... You have to get a shock from specialized and your only options are triads, auto sag shocks or rp23 (if you can find one) or something with brain technology.