mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Stumpjumper Pro 07: Not enough travel on AFR shock

Hi all,

I live in Switzerland (so sorry for my bad English) and recently bought a Stumpjumper Pro 07 (black not orange over here in Europe ). All in all, I am quite happy with it. The only thing which I am not happy with at all is this:
    I can only get around 50-60% of travel on the new Specialized rear shock on an average tour . There is absolutely nothing I could do to extend the travel over this (off course I've tried it with less air in the shock but this just left me with too much sag (20mm) and around 70% of travel).

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Did I get a lemon or is this normal behaviour with the new shocks? In my opinion, you should be able to at least use around 80-90% of the travel.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Sandrotto

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had the problems with my new Specialized shock problem - after about 50% of rear travel you could feel vibrations on pedals, saddle and handlebars. I had the same model as you. It was changed for a new one, taken form a carbon frame, and it was even worse!!!!! I returned a bike and got a full refund. I checked other SJ Pro in other shop - rear shock had about 0,5 cm play!!!!! Now I am reading about painting problems in top Specialized frames....no comments. I gonna buy a Santa Cruz Blur now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niewczas
    I had the problems with my new Specialized shock problem - after about 50% of rear travel you could feel vibrations on pedals, saddle and handlebars. I had the same model as you. It was changed for a new one, taken form a carbon frame, and it was even worse!!!!! I returned a bike and got a full refund. I checked other SJ Pro in other shop - rear shock had about 0,5 cm play!!!!! Now I am reading about painting problems in top Specialized frames....no comments. I gonna buy a Santa Cruz Blur now.
    Thank you for your answer! I do not experience any vibrations on pedals, saddle or handlebars on mine but I have that problem with only 50% of rear travel. As far as I can tell, all Stumpjumper Pro or Sworks 07 owners experience the same problems with either accepting it (or don't even be aware of it) or returning the bike to the dealers. At least, I didn't get any other feedback so far. How can it be, that a renowned company as Specialized can put something like this in thier top of the line bikes? And even worse - how can it be, that nobody seriously complains about it?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrotto
    As far as I can tell, all Stumpjumper Pro or Sworks 07 owners experience the same problems with either accepting it (or don't even be aware of it) or returning the bike to the dealers. At least, I didn't get any other feedback so far. How can it be, that a renowned company as Specialized can put something like this in thier top of the line bikes? And even worse - how can it be, that nobody seriously complains about it?
    OK boys, lets get this sorted out. The Specialized AFR rear shock is not designed to operate the same as a Fox. If you notice on the shock compression cylinder (the smaller diameter part), there is a line that marks maximum compression of the cylinder. This shock will not have the cylinder completely inside the shock body at full compression like a Fox.

Double check to find that line on your rear shock, and make your travel measurements based off of that line.

As far as my Stumpy goes, its an 07, orange, with AFR-Brain rear shock, and it gets full travel, is extremely smooth for an air shock, climbs well, and is quite simply the best medium-travel FS rig I have ever ridden.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    OK boys, lets get this sorted out. The Specialized AFR rear shock is not designed to operate the same as a Fox. If you notice on the shock compression cylinder (the smaller diameter part), there is a line that marks maximum compression of the cylinder. This shock will not have the cylinder completely inside the shock body at full compression like a Fox.

Double check to find that line on your rear shock, and make your travel measurements based off of that line.

As far as my Stumpy goes, its an 07, orange, with AFR-Brain rear shock, and it gets full travel, is extremely smooth for an air shock, climbs well, and is quite simply the best medium-travel FS rig I have ever ridden.
    I do know that max line on the shock and my measurement is exactly based on that line. How do you get full travel on yours? How much sag to you get in order to be able to use the full travel available? How much travel do you use on an average tour on single trails without big hits?

Got Homebrew?
    I second chequamagon. I've had no problems what so ever with my AFR Brain. I get full travel, and the ride is silky smooth. I've still playing with various setting to suit my personal taste but that's just fine tuning. I have about 20mm of sag (180 psi for 180lbs) and I use probably 80% of my travel on normal single track with short (2ft<) drops.
    Mountain biking is not about how fast you go, it's about how many new friends you have at the bar after the ride.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrotto
    How do you get full travel on yours? How much sag to you get in order to be able to use the full travel available? How much travel do you use on an average tour on single trails without big hits?
    I really dont believe in the sag measurement method of suspension setup. I just put in the reccomended pressure, and adjust throughout a ride accordingly to make sure I am getting full travel. The sag method is prone to error because your % of weight on the shock can be altered with body position, and therefore could make the shock too soft or hard based on what the designer intended. I just make sure it gets full travel and only bottoms once or twice a ride.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member

I'll give a 3rd

I have no problems with the AFR on my 07 Pro. I can get full travel easily.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Maybe it is an european problem, on USA market may be everything alright. I checked few Stumpys with AFR rear shock, all of them were faulty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sandrotto and Neiwczas have you solved your problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I will get a new damper next week from my dealer. Let's see if it's gonna be a good one this time. They asked me for the serial number on the damper - maybe they are aware of some problems in a certain serial number range?
    What is your serial number on your Specialized damper?
    I will post next week if the problem was solved or not....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks, keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

new damper

Hi all,

just a quick follow-up to the first post. My dealer just installed a new specialized damper and after the first ride with it today it seems that my problem is finally solved! I used almost the full travel on the same ride that I also did with the first faulty damper.
    I don't known what the problem was but it seems that it's finally solved. The only visual difference I have noticed is that the color of the new damper is somewhat lighter than the first one.....maybe it's from a newer production batch?

Sandrotto

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This is great news. I will be getting my new SJ Pro this week. I hope I don't have any issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Aztec31, that's good to hear. Hope you will enjoy your SJ Pro the same as I do (now)! Please let me know if your damper is working fine once you got your bike. I must say, that after today I am totally happy with the SJ Pro. The brain is working flawlessly - like a hardtail on smooth trails and instanteanously like a fully once you hit a bump...

sandrotto

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi! Just converted to the Carbon Stumpy frame with AFR shock. There appears to be 60(!) clicks to the 'trail tune' blue dial.
    Mountain Bike Action tested the Pro and ran the 'trail tune' dial at 8 clicks out from fully firm.
    Just wondered what everyones running at ?