mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Stumpjumper models...

Fellas,
    I think I've decided to go with a Specialized for my (mostly) XC purchase soon to come.

I'm a little confused about the different models available, and was wondering if you guys would help out.
    I have seen advertised, the Stumpjumper FSR's, FSR 120 Pros, Expert Disc's, and then the FSR XC, and finally, the regular Stumpjumper model.

I have $1500-$2K to spend, and would like the best choice for mostly XC riding, and some occasional jumps/aggressive riding, but nothing REAL crazy.

I have not rode in years, but I know the best bike is the one that feels the best, and I should attempt to ride them all before purchasing. (I doubt this will be possible, but I might be able to demo a couple)
    Anyhow, can you guys tell me which of these (if any) models have lockout feature on the FRONT AND BACK shock? I THINK I read that the 05's didn't lock, but the 06's will? (Maybe I'm badly mistaken here! LOL!) I just like the idea of being able to lock both the front and back shocks down on a bike. I don't think a lack of this option would prevent me from buying a Specialized bike though.

Also, could you guys tell me the approximate weight of the different models listed above? I have noticed that the weights of many bikes are not listed in catalogs, which is surprising to me.

Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's help with my newb questions, as it will really help me make the best decision on the right bike for my needs.

mechmann_mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo
    I have seen advertised, the Stumpjumper FSR's, FSR 120 Pros, Expert Disc's, and then the FSR XC, and finally, the regular Stumpjumper model..
    The StumpJumper comes in different trim levels. The trim level determines what components you get. The better the components, the more you will enjoy your bike IME. Anything less than LX components are really not trail worthy IMO. I just bought my wife a SJ Expert Disc and it is a great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo
    I have $1500-$2K to spend, and would like the best choice for mostly XC riding, and some occasional jumps/aggressive riding, but nothing REAL crazy. Anyhow, can you guys tell me which of these (if any) models have lockout feature on the FRONT AND BACK shock? I THINK I read that the 05's didn't lock, but the 06's will?
    The Specialized bikes are designed to give you fully active suspension at all times. A lock-out would mean that you are just carrying extra weight. The common direction for MOST manufacturers seems to be to offer a Stable Pedal Platform Valving on the rear shock (a rate sensitive dampening feature that makes the shock firmer during slow compressions like pedal inputs). If you demand a full lock-out bike the Trek Fuel EX-8 has that, but I looked at them very closely and wound up with Specialized bikes. For a little more than you are willing to spend you can get the SJ Expert Disc which has Talas/Lockout on the front and 7 stage pedal platform on the rear (i got my wife's for 2300). You might be able to get a Comp level bike for what you are looking at.

BTW... Disc brakes are a plus as you may know. I am a bigger guy (215 lbs.)and truly appreciate the idea that if I bend a wheel doing something dumb, i won't have to fight brake rubbing the rest of the ride like i used to on my Haro HT.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    The StumpJumper comes in different trim levels. The trim level determines what components you get. The better the components, the more you will enjoy your bike IME. Anything less than LX components are really not trail worthy IMO. I just bought my wife a SJ Expert Disc and it is a great bike.

The Specialized bikes are designed to give you fully active suspension at all times. A lock-out would mean that you are just carrying extra weight. The common direction for MOST manufacturers seems to be to offer a Stable Pedal Platform Valving on the rear shock (a rate sensitive dampening feature that makes the shock firmer during slow compressions like pedal inputs). If you demand a full lock-out bike the Trek Fuel EX-8 has that, but I looked at them very closely and wound up with Specialized bikes. For a little more than you are willing to spend you can get the SJ Expert Disc which has Talas/Lockout on the front and 7 stage pedal platform on the rear (i got my wife's for 2300). You might be able to get a Comp level bike for what you are looking at.

BTW... Disc brakes are a plus as you may know. I am a bigger guy (215 lbs.)and truly appreciate the idea that if I bend a wheel doing something dumb, i won't have to fight brake rubbing the rest of the ride like i used to on my Haro HT.
    Actually, I think that some Deore parts works fine for a trail bike. Of course the higher you go, the lighter they will be, and maybe a little better they will perform.

I think that few models offer the lock option, since now most rear shock have the sensitive stuff for pedaling issues. I don't think it's really important with current shocks. Most probably you'll get the Fox Float R wich is a good enough shock. And I think that the lock option just serves on smooth fireroads, when the trail is bumpy (by rock, roots or ruts) it's better to have it active.

Disc brakes are really nice, but not necesarry. It would depend on your weight (maybe if you're heavier they would help more) and the terrain you do. If you ride much on mud there will be a big difference. If it's mostly dry, then V-would work OK. Disck work -excelent. Just for consideration.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info fellas. I was really unaware about the technology of todays shocks, and that being the case, I can live without the lockout, especially on the rear.
    I just want to get the nicest bike I can for XC and SOME aggressive riding/drops for $2K. I guess if you guys say it would be much wiser to add a few hundred to my $2K, then I could do that too.
    I was just a little confused about all the different models, and what I need to look at for $2K-ish..
    Thanks for your time..

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    my 2005 model expert disc 100 locks in front for sure and the back is a fox triad--i think the mid position is a lock out. nice bike--around 2200-2400-depending on where you get it--if it's still available.
    maybe less w/2006s on the way--like I said though if there's still some sitting around somewhere. good luck. weight not sure over 25 for sure maybe 28. doesn't feel overly heavy though--just porkier than a nice fast racing xc hardtail.

post 1000. lol. I sure thought it'd be on the passion or general forums.

Bike to the Bone...
    My 2004 Stumpjumper FSR XL-size is about 13.8 Kg... or 30.4 pounds. But it is the lowest speced Stumpjumper (heavier components) and on the XL size Specialized welded some extra pieces to make it stronger. It feels pretty nice as it is, and rides better