mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Stumpjumper HT. What's next?

I have a 2006 Stumpjumper Disc HT. It's served me well. Bought it used originally for $1100.

If I was to upgrade to the next level what should I get? Looking for better components, maybe 2x9 and lighter weight.

Some options
    - eBay had a $1400 used 2006 S-Works HT with XT/XTR components.
    - BikeDirect has a number of new Titanium MTB with decent components for around $2k.

I'm not looking to spend more than 2k.

Thx

mtbr member
    That frame is solid. If you wanted to you could just get some new wheels or a new drivetrain to spruce it up a little bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So you don't think a used S-Works is worth it? The Stumpy is prob about 25-26lbs. Wouldn't the S-Works bring it down to like 22lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17
    That frame is solid. If you wanted to you could just get some new wheels or a new drivetrain to spruce it up a little bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's not all about weight to everyone (especially a mountain bike). If you can justify spending all that money on ANOTHER frame to save a couple of pounds and have little left over for anything else then go for it.

I would keep the frame and spend the money on a decent drivetrain, new wheelset and a decent set of forks.

Red October
    You've got a good fork, you've got a great frame, get some newer drivetrain bits and brakes, and blow your wad on wheels. Its been said ten thousand times, your best money is spent on wheels. If you spend 2K on a new bike, youre still gonna have 200.00 wheels.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me flickr

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Drivetrain is pretty good. SRAM x9 (3x9) rear derailleur. XTR front derailleur. SRAM gripshfts.

Would going SRAM XX 2x9 be a big enough jump?

Quote Originally Posted by karimian5
    It's not all about weight to everyone (especially a mountain bike). If you can justify spending all that money on ANOTHER frame to save a couple of pounds and have little left over for anything else then go for it.

I would keep the frame and spend the money on a decent drivetrain, new wheelset and a decent set of forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What kind of wheels do u suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowdave
    You've got a good fork, you've got a great frame, get some newer drivetrain bits and brakes, and blow your wad on wheels. Its been said ten thousand times, your best money is spent on wheels. If you spend 2K on a new bike, youre still gonna have 200.00 wheels.

Go SOLAR...
    Full suspension....without question. Pick up a 2010 for under $2k
    Go Solar...

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotOdds
    What kind of wheels do u suggest?
    I disagree with that...decent mid priced hand built wheels are fine. It's all about the build and who is doing it. The reason stock wheels are bad is due to the fact they are built by machines. You take that same wheel and have it hand built and it will perform totally different.
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    I'd say pick up some stan's rims (model depending on your weight and riding style) laced to some of their house brand ZTR hubs. Cheap and light.

mtbr member
    i agree with larlev and bikerboy
    get some decent hand built wheels
    go tubeless
    get some new brakes

you will love your new bike and have some cash left over as well
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."