mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Stumpjumper HT with road wheels/tires

Hi,

can anyone advise on whether it's possible to use stumpy with a road wheels/tires set up? i travel to Europe quite frequently for my job and bought a bike to use there. now a lot of my friends that used to ride 100% mtb ride road more and more. i'm not there enough to justify buying a road bike, but would like to join then on the road. If i could easily swap wheels/tires on my stumpy HT, that would be ideal. Do you guys have any advice on what options i have/how to do that best? thanks
    M.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    as long as they are disc wheels & the same spacing you will be fine.

Or you could just swap the tires out to road ones.
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux SS - Team Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by slav View Post
    Hi,

can anyone advise on whether it's possible to use stumpy with a road wheels/tires set up? i travel to Europe quite frequently for my job and bought a bike to use there. now a lot of my friends that used to ride 100% mtb ride road more and more. i'm not there enough to justify buying a road bike, but would like to join then on the road. If i could easily swap wheels/tires on my stumpy HT, that would be ideal. Do you guys have any advice on what options i have/how to do that best? thanks
    M.

It's totally possible but road tires will not turn it into a road bike. Depending on how far and how fast your friends ride, you'll still have a hard time keeping up.

Anyway, I've done the same and I use 1.35" Schwalbe Kojaks on my old MTB. Very happy with those. But I ended up buying a second hand road bike anyway and kept the roadified MTB for commuting. Alone.

mtbr member
    I tried that with my Rockhopper HT 29er, but it wasnt that great. I ended up getting a cheap road bike instead and it was 10x better.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

If you have a 29er then the wheels are the same circumference as 700c road wheels. You can take the offroad tyres off and fit a set of road slicks on the existing rims easily.

If you're going to do that I'd suggest going for a 700x32c tyre or wider. An MTB rim is usually wider than a road rim so you can't fit the narrowest road slicks. Staying with the wider tyre also has the advantage of affecting the handling less (the thinner tyre reduces the circumference of the wheel compared to a fatter offroad tyre, the smaller wheel size can have the effect of making the bike handling feel twitchy) and gives you a higher top gear (handy if you're riding with people on road bikes who will have higher gearing).

I'd also suggest switching the cassette to a closer ratio one. A stock 11-36 wide ratio 10 speed MTB cassette has big jumps between sprockets. Fitting a closer ratio road cassette (11-25 or 11-28) will make for a much nicer experience on the road with smaller jumps between the rear sprockets for maintaining momentum.

mtbr member
    I have a Stumpy HT, I ride road and gravel with 1x9. I have Borough XC 45's on this bike, 45-50 psi. Do they have any dirt roads where you are at?
    I have a Spec road bike for pure road riding.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!