Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpjumper HT fork length

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeU 
#1 ·
Hi, If I change the fork length of my Stumpjumper HT from 90mm to 100mm. Would this make any difference to the bike performance?

#3 ·
The head tube angle on the Stumpjumper is pretty steep at 71 degrees. Many competing brands hardtail head tubes are 70 and 69 degrees. Adding the longer fork should raise the frame a few millimeters, slackening the angle, and may improve your handling.

I've found my 80mm travel on a Fox 80X setup a bit too twitchy, so I'm looking for a 100mm travel fork for my 2001 S-works SJ HT to smooth out the handling a little bit. It may be a few months until I have the new fork in hand, but I'll post up about it.

#7 ·
I suspect the 90 fork is the same as the 100 fork. My 2003 Stumpy HT came with a Fox 80RL fork. This fork tubes and stanchions are the same as the Fox 100RL fork, except the 80mm fork has a spacer in it limiting the travel. Last time I changed my fork oil and replaced the seals, I just removed the spacer and now I have a 100mm fork. I found this info in the owners manual for the fork, which you should be able to download at the Fox Racing website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.