mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stumpjumper Hardtail Sizing

I know everyone loves these questions, but here we go anyway!

What size Stumpy hardtail for a relatively normal proportion 5ft 10in male? What's your dimensions and what size do you ride, 17.5in or 19in?

Choice is between Specialized and Niner. Just looking at the geo numbers, it always seems that I'm sort of between sizes on the Specialized. The 19" just feels too big as I stand over it...not much post showing...but the 23.3in tt of the 17.5in just seems so short. With the Niner, I'm most certainly a medium, run with a straight post and 100mm stem. But then I've owned enough bikes to have learned that just reading the numbers off a chart and trying to compare them often doesn't always seem to tell the whole story. It's a small shop in a small town, so not a lot of opportunities for extended test rides.

I want to try the Stumpy for a change, have for a good while, but worried about the sizing. Thanks for any insight you might provide!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    6 ft 0 in. Ride Stumpjumper EVO HT 19". I like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 5'11 and ride a 17.5" SJ HT. Previously I was on a large SJ FSR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm around 5' 10", sort of like you. I had to ride both 17.5 and 19. I liked both, but on the 19 I felt a little more relaxed so went with that one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm just over 5' 10" and I've owned a medium 2011 Stumpjumper EVO 29er and the exact same bike in a large. I've been happy on both. Just a bit of adjusting and you're good to go. I never thought I would say this but I think I would lean towards the larger frame as I feel a bit more comfortable with the extra room. I think you will be happy on either. Good luck!