uhhhhhyea

Stumpjumper FSR XC front der - need HELP!

I tried searching and posting before - I'm building up an '01 FSR XC, and I am trying to figure out if I can run anything besides an e-type front derailleur. Reason is, I need to get this thing built for my girlfriend ASAP (it's a surprise) and I have everything I need except the bottom bracket, and I need to know if I'll need an E-type. Can I run an e-type bottom bracket without using an e type front derailleur? If that's the case I'll just go with the etype BB and only get an etype front derailleur if the one I have (non-etype, but otherwise fits) doesn't work.

I hope this makes sense (think I said e-type enough ??) any help would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes you can run an etype....

bb with on a non etype set up. To keep things evened out you'll need to run a spacer under the drive side bb flange equivalent to the width of the etype mounting plate, a 2.5mm spacer if I remember correctly. This is to maintain proper chainline and shifting performance. As long as you have clearance for the clamp and dertailleur while cycling the suspension from full extension to full compression you should be good to go. But do check clearances once the clamp type dertailleur is installed. Specialized quite often installed a specific type dertailleur on a given model for very good reasons. Sometimes not though. So a complete check is needed when changing up front derailleur designs on their fs bikes.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

uhhhhhyea
    Sounds good, thanks! I'll be ordering that e-type bottom bracket then.