mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR vs. Enduro

I've been putting in time on both bikes and thought that I'd put together some notes comparing the two. If there are any of you trying to make a decision on the two, I thought this might help.

First the Stumpy: This is a 2010 XL Pro carbon. With its current set up (pictured above) it's just under 25 lbs. I have not changed out too many parts besides the wheels (Mavic Crossmax SLR) and cranks (Sworks carbon).

What it's good for: Living in Colorado, this is a great bike for longer rides like Monarch Crest or 4+ hour rides. The 'brains' on the shocks make it great for riding the road to the trail since it's pretty locked out unless there's an impact. When 1st riding it, it felt a bit 'choppered-out' - but I was coming off a 29er HT and Scott Spark (XC racer). I quickly got used to the feel which was made a lot less dramatic by the fork reduced travel mode.

Riding on trail: - it's extremely capable. It'll do just about anything. It's stiff and efficient on climbs. I found myself seated much more than normal as it soaks up just about everything. It's just awesome on the DHs.

Next the Enduro:
    This is a 2011 Carbon pro in a large. It's straight up stock - aside from running the tires tubeless. It's 28lbs. I went with the large vs the XL since I didn't want to be too stretched out on downhils. Still - it's a 24+" top tube, so it's pretty long. I'm 6'2" with a long torso.

What it's good for:
    Throwing a leg over the bike, it doesn't feel THAT much different than the Stumpy. The component spec is pretty similar, but more burly. It has a 3 adjustable seat post (which I love), Traverse EL wheels (which may or may not be stronger than the Crossmax wheels) with a 20mm thru-axle. It's geared a bit lower and the chain tensioner keeps everything in check. The tires are about 1/2" wider and you'll notice this traction. There is no 'brain' on the front or rear shocks, however there is a reduced travel mode in the front and the rear has a climb mode. The geometry, extra weight, and pedal-induced shock movement don't make it the best for riding roads to the trail, but it certainly could be done. I'll primarily keep this bad boy in the dirt.

On the trail: I've only ridden XC trails, some of which are quite rocky with some techy maneuvers (Hall and Heil Ranch Boulder CO), so no huge drops where the bike has been totally pushed to its limit. BUT - I did ride this bike very fast and I'm pretty confidant that it's faster downhill than anything I've ever ridden. I love the hell out of the command post. I've only needed the middle position (it's a 3 position post). The bottom position it just too low unless your ass is hanging waaaay back. The middle position is great for the downhills. You can still pedal, but it moves your weight a bit more over the rear wheel. It corners incredibly well. I also experienced some rad two-wheel drifts on the Enduro - something that felt totally in control.
    Climbing on this bike is best done seated, although I did often stand to muscle the bike up and over some obstacles. The bike didn't really feel THAT much heavier. I could see how the extra lbs could get tiresome on a really long ride, but I didn't experience it. It was a trail slayer for the two hour rides I've done on it. Riding on the road, you'll notice some suspension movement on every pedal stroke - nothing really bad, but it's there

Conclusions:
    • The Stumpjumper is just an overall incredible mountain bike. It's only 1 lbs more than my XC race bike, which makes me wonder why even race a 4" bike in the 1st place? If I had to have only one mountain bike, this would probably be the one. (If I had to have only one BIKE, I'd have a 29er hard tail)
    • The 5 inches of travel on the Stumpjumper make it just awesome on rooty rocky downhills.
    • The 'brain' took a little time to get used to, but really does work well. It makes the bike incredibly efficient
    • The Enduro is a killer bike that can do anything - it just can't climb as fast as its lighter smarter brother
    • The Enduro rips downhill. Incredibly fun to ride when gravity takes over.
    • The suspension post helps handling A LOT on the downhills. It's a nice feature to add to any bike if you ride extended descents
    • On the Stumpy, I noticed a lot of wear on drive side rear spokes - from chain slap. The Stumpjumper will help you ride fast - and riding fast can wear equipment differently. Since switching to a 2 x 9 with a shorter chain (and perhaps more chain tension?) there's less chain slap.
    • The chain keeper on the Enduro kept the chain on in ALL situations. I've bounced by chain of several times on other bikes - not on this one

That's about all - hope this helps some folks! Both great bikes that I'm always excited to ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice write-up thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Precisely

This is EXACTLY why I am getting a 2011 Enduro Expert to compliment my 10 Stumpy. This is an accurate write up on both platforms.

I do feel the stumpy is too twitchy on DH to let it run though. I have to back off on DH where as when I demoed the Enduro a few times my hands were light on the brakes.

mtbr member
    nice writeup : )