mtbr member
    May 2005

Stumpjumper FSR suspension setup help

Hi guys, im new to FS but I have been riding mtb since it was still chromo and no shocks. Just got back early this yr with a hardrock and now got a stump fsr elite. Now im a bit confused about the suspension setup and also the feeling of awkwardness? Any help or suggestion is greately appreciated.

I weigh 212 lbs and dialed in my suspension with 115psi on the fox 100RL and 185 on the fox float (rear). When I took it out today i feel that it was too rough ? I guess the suspension was too hard ? The manual suggest measuring the plush and i did but was wondering if i have too much psi ? Where can I start ? I don't know if the rear is suppose to feel comfy during downhill or its suppose to be stiff, i felt more tired than riding my hardtail honestly. felt abused by the trail ? Also i had straight handlebar with climbing bar on my hardrock and with the new bike its riser, this feels weird too. Last issue is the seat, I feel its way out back compared to the hardrock, is this something Ill get used to after a while, or i need to dial in something as far as geometry is concerned. I am more to performance so if its awkward but its right, ill try and get used to it than getting comfy with poor performance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by new2mtb
    Hi guys, im new to FS but I have been riding mtb since it was still chromo and no shocks. Just got back early this yr with a hardrock and now got a stump fsr elite. Now im a bit confused about the suspension setup and also the feeling of awkwardness? Any help or suggestion is greately appreciated.

I weigh 212 lbs and dialed in my suspension with 115psi on the fox 100RL and 185 on the fox float (rear). When I took it out today i feel that it was too rough ? I guess the suspension was too hard ? The manual suggest measuring the plush and i did but was wondering if i have too much psi ? Where can I start ? I don't know if the rear is suppose to feel comfy during downhill or its suppose to be stiff, i felt more tired than riding my hardtail honestly. felt abused by the trail ? Also i had straight handlebar with climbing bar on my hardrock and with the new bike its riser, this feels weird too. Last issue is the seat, I feel its way out back compared to the hardrock, is this something Ill get used to after a while, or i need to dial in something as far as geometry is concerned. I am more to performance so if its awkward but its right, ill try and get used to it than getting comfy with poor performance.
    Hey new2mtb!

I am not an expert on this but here is my 2 cents:
    - According to my experience, I would actually feel too tired riding a full suspension bike if the shocks are too SOFT (not too hard) because when the shock is too soft that is when you lose efficency in pedaling.
    - Regarding the seat being back too much, it does sound like you might need to adjust the seat position and seat height. Might also look at the stem length, that can also eliveate some stress on you body. I think it is possible that the improper setup regarding the geometry of your bike contributes to your fatigue (vs. the shock).

I think after you setup the proper geometry on your bike (this could be helped by your LBS) only then you should double check the shocks.

Pedro

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

wrenchscience.com for bike fitting & search for set-up

new2mtb,

Do a search on the proper set up of your front & rear shock. I remember reading a thread w/c explains what air pressure to put in relation to your weight.

As for the saddle and stem adjustments, I suggest you get yourself fitted properly and go to wrenchscience.com and go to bike fitting.

Gravity Rides Everything
    there's a possibility you're bottoming out the rear shock. the travel indicator o-ring shouldn't go all the way to the bottom of the shock under most riding (a real rough downhill or some jumps may bottom it out, that's normal) If it bottoms out that could definitly be unpleasant.

the stumpjumper 120's should be pressurized to roughly your body weight. in your case 210 psi, i'd say give or take 10 psi or so.

SJ100's I think it's about 80% of your weight in the shock.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for the feedback guys. Now that I thought about it all night i think this is whats happening. I checked my suspension sag front and rear. On rear it looks correct, for a 4.2 inch long fox triad the sag shoudl be around .4 . 47 inch. As for the front, I think it was too hard Manual says 105 psi for a 215 lbs but i think that was too hard, with a 105 psi the sag was only .15 inch so the shock almost doesnt sag at all when im riding it. From the manual it says it is suppose to be around .78 to 1 inch sag, i got this sag when I lowered the psi to 88 psi. Now I think the manual is not 100% correct, it provides the psi for a certain weight rider but it doesn't take the bike's weight into consideration, so if you have a lighter bike the sag will differ right? I think measuring the sag is the best way... am i correct ?

I also lowered or moved one washer on my handle post down to bring my handle bar a bit lower, i felt i was riding a bmx yesterday (wasnt bending enough)

Gravity Rides Everything
    thanks for the feedback guys. Now that I thought about it all night i think this is whats happening. I checked my suspension sag front and rear. On rear it looks correct, for a 4.2 inch long fox triad the sag shoudl be around .4 . 47 inch. As for the front, I think it was too hard Manual says 105 psi for a 215 lbs but i think that was too hard, with a 105 psi the sag was only .15 inch so the shock almost doesnt sag at all when im riding it. From the manual it says it is suppose to be around .78 to 1 inch sag, i got this sag when I lowered the psi to 88 psi. Now I think the manual is not 100% correct, it provides the psi for a certain weight rider but it doesn't take the bike's weight into consideration, so if you have a lighter bike the sag will differ right? I think measuring the sag is the best way... am i correct ?

I also lowered or moved one washer on my handle post down to bring my handle bar a bit lower, i felt i was riding a bmx yesterday (wasnt bending enough)

the amount that the bike will differ in weight (by maybe 5 lbs max.) isn't really enough to throw off your sag.

probably the reason that the fork sag was wrong is that everyone carries their weight differently when riding, some people are more or less over the bars and some people have heavier arms etc. Sag is definitely the most important indicator of suspension setup so it's good you got yours right now

mtbr member
    May 2005
    tnx ! after riding yesterday the suspension felt a LOT better!, although I feel that my rear is a bit soft (which I will adjust today) everything else was great. I am still working on getting used to the new geometry but i think im getting a bit more used to this bike..

tnx again.

Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    the amount that the bike will differ in weight (by maybe 5 lbs max.) isn't really enough to throw off your sag.

probably the reason that the fork sag was wrong is that everyone carries their weight differently when riding, some people are more or less over the bars and some people have heavier arms etc. Sag is definitely the most important indicator of suspension setup so it's good you got yours right now

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    tnx ! after riding yesterday the suspension felt a LOT better!, although I feel that my rear is a bit soft (which I will adjust today) everything else was great. I am still working on getting used to the new geometry but i think im getting a bit more used to this bike..

tnx again.
    Is your rear shock a Float Triad? If so, adjusting the propedal settings will change the feel too, so if your sag is good (and you're not bottoming the shock), maybe firming up the platform will give the feel you want.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I usually set the sag with full suspension, then when I ride, mostly its pro pedal then when hard downhill comes i may switch to full. However, I still think that lockout is best since you feel the trail, just not sure if its efficient.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

funny you..

..mention o-ring. I'm new to full suspension too. that o ring didn't even last 2 rides before it disintegrated and fell off. I haven't even messed with my suspension. Maybe 180 to 190 lbs is "normal" these days or my bikeshop guessed my weight and set it correctly for me. I say that because when I did the sag test for both front and rear as suggested by the shock and fork manuals--the measured sag was spot on. Also everything feels comfy---much smoother than the Giant XTC hardtail. I will say the risers did take some getting used to.

there's a possibility you're bottoming out the rear shock. the travel indicator o-ring shouldn't go all the way to the bottom of the shock under most riding (a real rough downhill or some jumps may bottom it out, that's normal) If it bottoms out that could definitly be unpleasant.

the stumpjumper 120's should be pressurized to roughly your body weight. in your case 210 psi, i'd say give or take 10 psi or so.

SJ100's I think it's about 80% of your weight in the shock.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    yup! very weird indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    .. I will say the risers did take some getting used to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yup! very weird indeed!

Risers, what risers?
    My '01 came with flats, and I kept em. Full bar ends bounce off trees, brake levers don't.

Gravity Rides Everything
    I usually set the sag with full suspension, then when I ride, mostly its pro pedal then when hard downhill comes i may switch to full. However, I still think that lockout is best since you feel the trail, just not sure if its efficient.

go easy on the lockout on rough trail. A rear suspension is designed to be able to move when impacted. if it can't move, it can accelerates pivot wear.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    good point ! thanks, i won't use lockout then.

go easy on the lockout on rough trail. A rear suspension is designed to be able to move when impacted. if it can't move, it can accelerates pivot wear.