mtbr dismember

Stumpjumper FSR Pro vs. 29er?

I'm itching to buy a new bike and I'd like to stay with the Stumpjumper FSR. Seems the choice might be between a Carbon Pro or the 29er Expert. But the 29er has much lower end components and presumably weighs a lot more? I'm old and slow. I've never ridden a 29er but I am curious about them. I'm 6'2" and when I see photos of myself on my XL 26er it sure looks small.

It appears Specialized has gone to 2x10 this year. I'm old and have bad knees. Does this mean losing a granny gear?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't think the weight difference is very much. The SJ FSR Expert 29er weighs about 29 lbs. The carbon frame is only slightly lighter. 26" wheels will also be lighter.

You'll still have a granny gear. The small ring on the 29er is 22 teeth, and together with the 36T rear cog you get a very low gear, even lower than on my current 3x8 setup.

Compelling, and rich.
    I'd say the weight difference is going to be at least 3lbs...

mtbr dismember

Components?

I'm not a wight weenie and I'm heavy anyway. I'm more concerned about the components. The components on the 29er seem much lower end than the Pro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The components on the 29er expert are very good components, not sure why you are concerned particularly if you are not a weight weenie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I'm not a wight weenie and I'm heavy anyway. I'm more concerned about the components. The components on the 29er seem much lower end than the Pro.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You're talking a $1700 price difference in those bikes. That's why the components are so different.

mtbr dismember

Ordered the 29er

I just put a deposit down on a Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er. I had a good bike mechanic compare each component one by one with the Pro. Of course the Pro had a bit higher end stuff. But I figure I already own a 26er SJ so why not try the 29er?

The Expert was not in stock so we weighed both my current bike and the Comp 29er. They were the same weight. So the Expert may be a bit lighter than my current bike. But the technologies sure have improved in the past four years.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Be sure to post pictures and a ride report when it arrives!

I'd really like a chance to ride one of these. Then again, if that happened I'm sure it'd end up in my garage, to the dismay of my wife and pocket book!

mtbr member
    I'm old and slow.
    I'm old and slow, too. I bought a 29er HT last year and haven't been back on my SJ FSR since. Now I'm angling with the boss for a new 29er FS to go with the HT (and the 26er will be sold).

You're going to love the 29er and I think you made a great choice. I had the opportunity to demo the Expert and it was a great ride! The only other bike I'm considering is the Pivot 429, but I haven't had a good ride on one of those yet.

Looking forward to your pictures!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I just put a deposit down on a Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er.
    You'll love it. It's the most stable bike I've ever ridden. It's also very, very fast down hill, so be careful. You'll enter corners faster than you did on a 26er. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I recently picked up a 2010 stump fsr 29 expert and love it. It was and still is the only 29er I have ridden. I was worried about going to 29 wheels without first testing but got a 30 money back guarantee from the shop in case I hated the 29" option. It felt a little different first few rides but it is absolutely amazing how it climbs and rides. U won't regret it.