mtbr member
    Jan 2008

stumpjumper fsr frame

so there is this stumpjumper fsr for sale, 2012 26" fsr size large, the frame doesn't look right though, shouldn't the top tube and down tube come together at the stem? I'm thinking that this is a size XL instead of a large?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like the difference between the carbon and ally frames your first picture is an ally frame (you can see the weld marks) and the second is the carbon framed SJ.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Also, that does look like an XL, by the way the top tube slopes up so sharply to join the seat tube. From pictures I've seen, the larger the frame, the more likely it is that the tubes won't be joined at the head tube.

Here's a 2011 29er, that also appears to be an XL, and there's a pretty good gap there as well. My 2011 29er in a size large doesn't have this gap, the two tubes are joined together well back of the head tube.

There is something off about it though, as on the 2012 frames, the top tube was one piece that bent up to join the seat tube, with the brace part welded below. In your pic, the top tube runs straight to the seat tube, with the welded piece being the part that rises up to join the seat tube, like the 2011 frames did. may just be because it's the big frame, but I wouldn't know.
    Last edited by rufus; 01-11-2013 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    here is another pic I found of someone selling a 2012 stumpy fsr elite 26"