mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Stumpjumper FSR Expert or Enduro Sl / Expert

I have been riding a Rockhopper HT and have been very happy but am a pretty serious rider now and love to hit some rough terrain and drops here and there. I also love to do some freeride at consturction sites near my home. I will be keeping my HT no matter what bike I end up buying.

I would like a bike that I can do my weekend trail riding with, hit the rough terrain, rocks, jumps, drops, but still be able to ride in a casual race type event; however I may just use my HT for any races. More importnantly, I have heard the Enduro does not climb nearly as well as the SJ. My concern is: will the fun of the Enduro be lost on the climbs? My price range is around $4K. Also, I am about 6'5" and weigh 235 lbs.

Any idea if I should buy an 08 or wait for the 09s to come out? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i had the EXACT same question and situation a few months ago. cept im shorter and lighter.

stumpy for all mountain?

to sum it up. the enduro can climb. the stumpy climbs better. the stumpy can handle drops but you gotta be a smooth rider. if you want to race get stumpy. if you are serious about free riding get enduro. if you are undecided get 2 bikes.

my situation. i realized that ill end up with 2 bikes. the brain is nice but it does have problems at times. im looking at lower model stumpy and one for DH/FR so my 4k budget will stretch. if you want to know how the lower stumpy models hold up to the brained bikes, check out my "pro pedal vs the brain" thread.

BOTTOM LINE: nothing beats a test ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My Enduro SL climbs better than my Spesh FSR XC

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008
    Here's another thread that asks exactly the same question

Enduro or Stumpy?

mtbr member
    I say go for the Enduro. My brother has been riding a Stumpy for years. He bought an Enduro SL a few months ago though and hasn't touched the Stumpy since. It's such a great bike on climbs considering how much fun it is going down. Try and find a shop that will let you demo one.
    07 Specialized Epic Expert

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had the enduro sl expert 07 for a month . Killed the front shock two times . Bottoms out , sticks , squeeked You name it my shock did it. Somehow managed to bottom out the rear shock to the point of replacement also in same month. Then 2 flats and a busted chain all in month one. Called my LBS they let me swap out for a new stumpy fsr . ( BTW spech repaired all shock issues immed. no questions both times)
    The fsr expert , FUN , but did'nt love it. Much better @XC. Climbing was better w enduro. Adjusting the shock is really easy w enduro . Drop front shock compression and go .Honestly , I felt the enduro was heavier but better at uphill. Downhill , the enduro was a marshmello in a good sense . It eats up everything in its way , really tuff and very aggressive on downhills and jumps. If you dont mind the extra 2-3 lbs go enduro. Trust me I had them both.

mtbr member
    The Trance X0 outperforms those bikes in every aspect. Take a look into and mabye test ride one at a local shop. You'll notice a huge difference in the parking lot.. Imagine what you'll see in on the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I hope to have my answer this weekend. I have reserved both the SJ Expert and Enduro for back to back test rides this weekend. I am going to pick them up on Saturday and return them on Monday. Should be fun!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by robertinoNY
    Trust me I had them both.
    Did you have the 2007 Stumpy or the 2008?
    There is a big difference between them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    07 Stumpy . I've been on mountin bikes for about 12-15 years , far far from a professional rider level but better than the avg joe , I believe . I do love a good bike and the 07 stumpy is more bike than most guys could ever handle. I do agree the 08' is a bit more bells and whistles but honestly is that lil extra worth the $1,000 + price bump ? Pros 10 years ago would've killed you for the 07 stumpy technology .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scralatchtica824
    The Trance X0 outperforms those bikes in every aspect. Take a look into and mabye test ride one at a local shop. You'll notice a huge difference in the parking lot.. Imagine what you'll see in on the trail.
    I'll start by saying that I really like the X0 and I could see easily see the argument that it is better than the Stumpy. But saying it "outperforms" the Enduro is a bit of a stretch. Comparing a trailbike to an all mtn/light freeride bike is definitely getting into apples/oranges territory. It is exceedingly unlikely that the XO will descend and handle drops as well as the Enduro.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    BINGO , KINGBOZO I agree 1000% .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Prior to selling my '07 Stumpy FSR Elite, I did the 24-hour rental/demo of both an '08 Stumpy FSR Expert and '08 Enduro SL Expert all on the same trail. The AFR Brain on the '08 Stumpy felt nicer than the Triad on my '07, but I didn't like having only 120mm of travel up front, and the cockpit felt even shorter than the Enduro SL. Between them, I preferred my '07. Then I rode the Enduro SL, and obviously it was way faster going downhill, but I was shocked at how well it climbed, which was at least as well as my Stumpy. And it was pretty good on twisty singletrack as well. Yeah, it's a couple of pounds heavier and a couple of inches longer in the wheelbase, but I don't notice either on the trail. As far as an all-around bike is concerned, this one comes pretty darn close. So I ended up getting an '07 Enduro SL Expert on closeout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    THE FOLLOWING IS MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION:

I finally had an oppurtunity this weekend to take the Enduro Expert and Stumpy Expert out onto the trails for some testing. I picked the bikes up on Saturday, got them home and both rear shocks were set way underpressure for me or likely anyone. I went back to the bike shop and borrowed their shock pump and spec shock guage so I could set the sage to my weight. I accomplished that without any problems.

That afternoon I took out the Enduro, mainly because I was most excited about trying out it's suspension. I live and ride in SE PA so our trails vary from hardpack to rocky downhills and uphills. Regardless, we have lots of rocks, roots, as well as, loose gravel sized rocks throughout. For me, I had a tough time climbing nearly as well as I can on my HT Rockhopper. My overall average speed took quite a drop too. I also found myself constantly ajusting the suspension depending on if I was going uphill, downhill, or singletrack.

Another big difference that I noticed with the Enduro was how set back the bars were compared to the stumpy. The Enduro didn't feel that much heavier if at all when I lifted it and compared to the Stumpy. However, when I rode it, the bike felt much heavier and I believe some of that was due to the bar setback.

On downhills, the bike was just ridiculous. I hit huge drops and rough terrain with total ease. It almost made me feel like the bike took a lot of the challenge out of riding. The suspension was super plush and handled everything I threw at it. For me, the ride was amazing but the trade off on the uphills was too much for my style of riding.

The next day I rode the stumpy on the exact same trails as my Enduro ride and the stumpy felt much lighter than the Enduro. I set the shock sag and played with the brain for awhile until I felt that I was in the ballpark. The bike seemed very light and easy to throw around. My average speed seemed about the same if not more than my HT on the level singletrack. The bike climbed very well and the rear suspension certainly helped maintain stability and traction when climbing hills with roots and football sized rocks. The drops and downhills were still very good but not nearly as plush as the Enduro. The Stumpy made me feel more connected to the trail and the suspension was better than expected when I hit the larger drops. Overall the stumpy allowed me to climb and maintain a "fast" pace while also being able to take the downhill and drops with a little more work than the Enduro but I didn't mind it for my style riding.

In sum, I'm glad I did the test ride because my heart was set on the Enduro but after riding, I know my happiness will be with the Stumpy. Thanks again to everyone for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Great Report

Glad to hear you have a shop that had both bikes available.

One tip on the Stumpjumper that really made me like the bike even more - get a setback seat post like the Thompson Elite. It made a huge difference in the climbing for me. Now it climbs better than my epic or old HT. Maybe the shop will let you test the SJ with a seat post before you buy it?

I love my SJ and am very glad I went with it. Here in CO we see a large percentage of people going for the Enduro as well but what I noticed was that the riders leaning towards the Enduro were not people that like to climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    jcc456 - Thanks for the advice. I actually pulled the seat and Thomspon laid back post from my HT and put it on the stumpy when I rode. You are right - big difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I also have a Thomson elite setback (Masterpiece is wating to be installed) on my Stumpjumper Expert. I even have the saddle backwards a lot. This feels good to me.
    Also the pictures that I have seen of the 2009 Stumpys have a setback Thomson now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just put a down payment on an 08 SJ FSR Expert at my LBS. $2990 w/ shock pump (excluding tax). I am happy with that deal.

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    There's a big weight distribution difference with the SL vs. the FSR Stumpy. The SL is much more front-biased than the Stumpy is. I think I like the Stumpy's weight distribution more (I own the SL Expert) but what I've got is what I've got.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoebel
    There's a big weight distribution difference with the SL vs. the FSR Stumpy. The SL is much more front-biased than the Stumpy is.
    You mean the other way around, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Scremaing deal on the expert

That's $100.00 less than i got mine and I looked all over.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Best price I've found so far for an 08 SJ Expert is 3100.00. Which is about 16% off of MSRP. Not sure if it's entirely accurate but my LBS told me there's only 30% mark up Specialized bikes.

S1

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just FYI. I got a brand new never used demo model for $2400. I just have to deal with the color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Tom - that was off ebay right? I saw that. I guess I am in the minority because I actually like the test color. I looked on ebay but didn't see an XL SJs for auction. I ended up having to order an XL through my LBS but went with the ti/black. Congrats on the win. That seems like a great price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I got that exact demo color bike (which I actually LOVE) for $2600 from my LBS at the end of May. I am female and the LBS owner said they were having trouble getting males to buy that color...which I don't understand since it is very similar to the Yeti color...but I got a great deal. An XL went out the door the same day.