MCF
    mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc 120 or Enduro...210 lb rider

I was all set on the Stumpy FSR 120 (Expert Disc), but then I sent an email to Specialized saying I weigh 210 lbs and ride tight single track trails with the occasional 2-3 foot drops onto flat dirt (pretty soft) and they said the recommend the Enduro for that type riding. I don't really like the geometry or weight of the Enduro when compared to the Stumpy. FYI, I have been riding an Santa Cruz Blur with a Fox Float AVA R for the last year on the same trails I will be riding the Specialized and the Blur has not given me any problems at all. I would think the Stumpy frame with the Septune rear shock would be at least as strong as the Blur, if not more so....any thoughts?

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    I was all set on the Stumpy FSR 120 (Expert Disc), but then I sent an email to Specialized saying I weigh 210 lbs and ride tight single track trails with the occasional 2-3 foot drops onto flat dirt (pretty soft) and they said the recommend the Enduro for that type riding. I don't really like the geometry or weight of the Enduro when compared to the Stumpy. FYI, I have been riding an Santa Cruz Blur with a Fox Float AVA R for the last year on the same trails I will be riding the Specialized and the Blur has not given me any problems at all. I would think the Stumpy frame with the Septune rear shock would be at least as strong as the Blur, if not more so....any thoughts?
    As a recently recovering clyde ( kinda. I was 200, I'm now a 'lean' 195lbs), my 120 Pro seems pretty dang tough. Can't say that I've landed to flat off higher than a 12-14 inch drop, though... but I think I'd go Stumpy. I know some lighter, better riders take 4ft drops on Stumpy FSR's -- probably not recommended, but if you land well...

Also, I wouldn't buy a bike that you didn't like the geometry of. I prefer the Stumpy's quicker-feeling, more XC-ish geometry too! But good luck w/ your choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    Enduro with a Talas fork would still be pretty sweet, you could dial it down and speed up the steering when you want...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I weight 225 plus gear and have had the 120 expert for 3 months now with no problems other than adding additional air to the rear shock.

Single track with 1-2 foot drops, and not always a smooth landing.