Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr dismember

Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er photos

Just got a Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er and I will be getting it dirty tomorrow. It won't ever look this clean again. Many nice details and some features that were considered high end just a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice, but as you said it needs to get dirty! enjoy the new toy...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    WOW!! Get some mud on that bike this weekend. Big storm on Sunday...I hope it doesn't close the high country. It looks like snow levels will be high.
    http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/

Compelling, and rich.
    Beastly!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice looking bike. The wheels seem more proportionate to the frame than the old 26ers. We'll be seen muddy pictures tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

nice.

Thanks for the pics.

One thing I notice is your command post cable is on the outside of your seat clamp. Assuming it has the same seat clamp as the 10 there should be a notch in it for routing the command post cable.

BTW i really have been enjoying my 10.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great photos! Thanks for posting them. I've got one of these on order, been waiting a couple of months now -- supposedly it'll arrive mid-November.

Yours looks like a big size -- almost looks like a 26er in proportion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You, my brother are a lucky rider. I've had mine for @ 6 weeks and close to 250 miles. It feels better each time out.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    That is a beautiful bike for a Specialized. No joke. Really clean line. How does it. Give us a review. Whats it weigh?

Erik

mtbr dismember

Took about a week

Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    I've got one of these on order, been waiting a couple of months now -- supposedly it'll arrive mid-November.Yours looks like a big size -- almost looks like a 26er in proportion.
    It took about a week to fill my order. It is an XL frame and weighs 30.5 lbs, same as my '07 SJ Pro. And that includes the Command Post, which weighs about 20 oz.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am about to order a stumpy. I am considering the pros and cons of the comp vs expert. Any advice. Looks like the brain and adjustable seatpost is the only difference. And i`m not sure if i actually want the brain...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you get the expert, can you remove the brain and replace the shock with a Foxrp23 or are you stuck with the brain? Also I found out that the fork with the expert 29er is not adjustable to 140mm, it's a custom 130mm front fork.

I'm Slow
    Thanx for the pictures I am looking at this model and was wondering about a few of the finer details, and your pics have answered them.

Krusch: yeah difference is brain, x.0 setup, different rear hub, lighter handlebar, and carbon fiber crank.

mtbr dismember

No brainer

Quote Originally Posted by Krusch
    I am about to order a stumpy. I am considering the pros and cons of the comp vs expert. Any advice. Looks like the brain and adjustable seatpost is the only difference. And i`m not sure if i actually want the brain...
    I've had Stumpjumpers both with and without the brain. It's a no brainer, the brain makes a world of difference. And you also get several other higher end components on the Expert. Check out the threads on brain vs. no brain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The new brains are not like the first generation brains. I have a 2008 FSR 26er expert and now am riding the RIP 9 (2010 model). I like the flow of the RIP 9 going down hill (the suspension is very close to the Maverick) I gave up. Front derailer shifts better. Now for the negative. I have to bend down and flip the lever to climb long smooth steeps without bobing.

Sorry you did ask about Specialized. I could adjust the FSR so it was open and it would bob just like my RIP. I adjusted it all the way closed didn't like that either, could feel the delayed Brain opening. But one click back to open was perfect, I could stand and pedal without alot of movement and it would stay open for mutiple hits. I rode the first generation and felt that it rode like a hardtail with dead weight in the rear.

It is all going to depend on how you ride (do you do alot of siting and spinning, lever...If you stand to pull the last part of a hill the brain is gold). And weither you get anoyed fliping levers all the time. If you go for the flip the lever you even have another bike to consider the Specilized 29er Camber. I think the FSR 29 is more versatile for the climber and down hill bomber. I was thinking of the Epic for a new 29er (tired of flipping levers...I just want to ride... not adjust the bike all the time) but the Bike The Wolf has is a sweet ride. I know no help at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the advices

And what a beautiful bike the sfr 29 is. I am 6.2 tall and believe i need an xl frame. Geometry vise the bike looks perfect I may need a shorter stem and riser bar to handle the rocky downhills in Norway

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you planning to change/upgrade anything? It already has a nice set of components, so you probably don't need to.

You could save some weight with some lighter wheels, but the stock ones are probably a good compromise between weight and strength and cost.

Some other things I might consider:
    - Convert tires to tubeless
    - 10-speed grip shift (whenever SRAM starts making them)
    - Lighter cassette (but I probably wouldn't bother until this one wears out)

And that's pretty much it. I think Specialized nailed this one.

mtbr dismember

Only one ride

Are you planning to change/upgrade anything?
    Only had one ride so far. It does feel like I lost a granny gear, which I need. I'll see how the next ride goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My next bike. Unfortunately, I've only got about half the cash I need to buy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusch
    Thanks for the advices

And what a beautiful bike the sfr 29 is. I am 6.2 tall and believe i need an xl frame. Geometry vise the bike looks perfect I may need a shorter stem and riser bar to handle the rocky downhills in Norway
    The Wolf is below 6'3" and I am 6'3"
    The Wolf is riding an XL Stumpy in the pictures and I am riding a Lg RIP 9. The Wolf likes a longer reach. I like the handling of the smaller toptube. I could ride his XL with a shorter stem, but I prefer the Lrg with the same size stem. I ride a 19" (L) HT 29er Spec comp. My son's is a 21" (XL) feels the same as The Wolfs new FSR. I have found I ride one size down on a 29er than I would on a 26er. The exception is the SC Tallboy I would ride an XL (I did demo a XXL and it was a tad to long).
    If you have availability to demo the two different sizes I would advise you to do so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My shop just said there is finally one available in medium, so mine should be on its way soon. This will be my first new mountain bike in 17 years.

mtbr member
    My shop just said there is finally one available in medium, so mine should be on its way soon. This will be my first new mountain bike in 17 years.
    Wow...just got the comp version...sitting at the LBS getting some components thrown on (just minor stuff) and tuned up, and will pick up on Monday. I hadnt bought a new bike for like 15 years so you got me by 2.

have fun with it...and which one are you getting!

did the LBS cut you a break on the price..(mine did, but not a hell of alot, but enough for me to go with them.)
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rmasse10
    Wow...just got the comp version...sitting at the LBS getting some components thrown on (just minor stuff) and tuned up, and will pick up on Monday. I hadnt bought a new bike for like 15 years so you got me by 2.

have fun with it...and which one are you getting!

did the LBS cut you a break on the price..(mine did, but not a hell of alot, but enough for me to go with them.)
    I'm getting the SJ FSR Expert 29er. Taking a big leap from an old hardtail with a Rockshox Mag21 (46mm of travel) to a FS 29er with 130mm of travel.

The shop I'm buying from isn't local, it's half way across the country, but my brother owns the shop. So yes, I am getting a very good price break. The drawback is that I have to assemble it myself, but I'm a pretty good mechanic so that's no biggie. Another issue might be if I ever need to get any warranty work done.

mtbr member
    I'm getting the SJ FSR Expert 29er. Taking a big leap from an old hardtail with a Rockshox Mag21 (46mm of travel) to a FS 29er with 130mm of travel.

The shop I'm buying from isn't local, it's half way across the country, but my brother owns the shop. So yes, I am getting a very good price break. The drawback is that I have to assemble it myself, but I'm a pretty good mechanic so that's no biggie. Another issue might be if I ever need to get any warranty work done.
    Sweet....post em when your done with her!

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if you can put a brain on a 2011 Stumpjumper 29er comp. Just thinking down the road

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast