mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Stumpjumper FSR Expert 2006 or Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2007?

I've narrowed my choices to these two bikes (okay, I'm also considering an Epic too, but I won't get into that!). I can get the 2006 Expert for $400 less than the Elite 2007 from my LBS. I don't see much difference between these bikes. The 2007 SJ frames look a little more substantial than the 2006 frames. Am I missing something or should I save myself the 400 bucks and go with the 2006? Can anyone explain the differences, no matter how insigntificant they might seem? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    frame on the 07 is a little bit burlier (hence the elevated chainstay and straighter downtubes). I guess their trying to make it more of an aggressive trailbike vs an xc trailbike? Otherwise, I think it's the same everything, other than color and looks...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is the geometry on the new SJ frames designed to make it a better climber compared to last year's frames?

I think the SJ suits me for the types of rides I will do with it, but I must say I'm infatuated with the Epic's climbing ability. I want the comfort of the SJ, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have an 07 Elite and it climbs much better than I would have ever thought, I was looking at an Epic as well because I have been riding hardtails since ever and was concerned about bobbing and feedback through the rear suspension. Six weeks into getting to know my new bike and I have discovered that it climbs better than my hardtail race bike that weighs four pounds less than the Stumpy, it just sticks to the ground.

It climbs well enough that I reeled in a couple of Epics over the weekend on a group ride, knowing that I will probably race the Stumpy on the 24 hour events or really rough courses instead of my hardtail. I like the look of the 07s with the new downtube, the brakes on the 07 Elite have larger rotors, new link plate with sealed cartridge bearings, and the Triad Shock seems to have had it's woes fixed for 07 as I haven't noticed any of the issues that people have been posting about with the 2005 and 2006 models. The 2007 Fox TALAS has more travel than the 06 model (90-130mm versus 100-140mm).

I'd say the differences are worth $400, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the responses.

Photograph,

What rear shock option do you tend to use when you climb? What do you think of the Pro Pedal option on the 2007? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have an '07 Elite as well and love it. I don't notice any of the severe pedal bob that others have complained about (my old Jamis with a Float R did that a lot) and I love the fork on this thing. Also, you get the new XTR rear derailleur whereas I don't know what the 06 Expert had. One thing that might be nice is if the 06 Expert is anodized vs. painted like the 07 Comp and Elite (the paint is a bit weak, but I used clear bra material that you put on cars to protect potential bad spots).

The Propedal works well enough that I use it for uphill and downhill runs (full open feels totally undamped and sinks too much for me) and I use the lockout for road climbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mateencleaves
    Thanks for the responses.

Photograph,

What rear shock option do you tend to use when you climb? What do you think of the Pro Pedal option on the 2007? Thanks.
    I run it on ProPedal most of the time, it works great and the full open position for me seems comfy as well although I do notice a little movement when climbing but nowhere near what people complain about. That may have more to do with riding style than the bike. And I use the lockout on the front and rear on the road when heading to the trails, the blow-off function kicks in when it has to (curbs & streetcar tracks). My only complaint about the bike was the LX shifters but I switched those for XT units at my LBS for a $30 difference (bearings always feel better than bushings) and the stock pedals that I swapped for a set of Time ATACs. Now I have no complaints.