mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Is the Stumpjumper FSR Exper right for me?

Hello; I'm wondering if this bike is right for me, I ride xc and like to climb a lot but I'm slow on downhills, I'm 5'11' and 230lb!! and that is my concern, I don't do drops or any agresive ride other than some epic xc rides but I want to make sure the stumpy can handle the weight and before you guys say anything I'm working on lowering the weight (I was 250lb last year when I started riding). Any one with similar problem or feedback? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr
    Hello; I'm wondering if this bike is right for me, I ride xc and like to climb a lot but I'm slow on downhills, I'm 5'11' and 230lb!! and that is my concern, I don't do drops or any agresive ride other than some epic xc rides but I want to make sure the stumpy can handle the weight and before you guys say anything I'm working on lowering the weight (I was 250lb last year when I started riding). Any one with similar problem or feedback? Thanks.
    I recently experienced the same dilemna after I got the go ahead from my wife to buy a new bike Your descriptions of the kind of rides you do sound very similar to my style of riding. I am also 5' 11' and weigh 215 and the Large is the perfect size for me. I had a 2001 Stumpjumper M4 hard tail and loved it. But, after 3-4 years of riding my skills had progressed to the point where I was told by fellow biking folks that I should consider the jump to a full suspension. After extensive research, test rides, visits to MTBR etc ( and driving everyone in the office crazy talking about which bike to get) I decided to get the 2005 Stumpjumper Expert Disc 100. I got the bike about a month ago. Here are my impressions:
    THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!!!!!!
    If a bike could be "Sexy" then this bike is!
    It handles my size without a problem, the pro pedal function is excellent and the hydraulic disc brakes are incredible. (after some initial break-in) The bike weighs about 28 pounds so it feels like a XC bike. This bike has improved my riding and now I LOVE the downhill. I am a XC rider but this bike inspired me enough and gave me confidence that my buddies and I went to Downieville, home of some epic downhills this past weekend. WOW, it ate up the terrain like a hungry steed and kept looking for more. Now I actually look for rocks and such to roll over rather than trying to avoid them. I could go on and on about this bike but I think I've made my point. I would definitely reccommend this bike!

just like a speeder-bike
    Got a Pro 120... had it since last November ('04) I think... I was 200, now I'm about 195...

If it fits, it's a great choice for you I think! Especially since you don't do drops (I never go over 2ft, and it's been perfect) -- and it will make you faster (way, way, way faster) on the downhills. I think if you look up the recommended shock settings, it goes up to at least a 275lb rider weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    Got a Pro 120... had it since last November ('04) I think... I was 200, now I'm about 195...

If it fits, it's a great choice for you I think! Especially since you don't do drops (I never go over 2ft, and it's been perfect) -- and it will make you faster (way, way, way faster) on the downhills. I think if you look up the recommended shock settings, it goes up to at least a 275lb rider weight.
    Enduro worth a look too. They are a bit beefier than Stumpies, so why not check them out too.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

I did checked the Enduro but I just don't like the geometry but I have to go back and take a second look, thanks for the sugestions guys. My lbs has the Stumpy Expert and an Epic for $2200 dlls, is this a good deal?

mtbr member
    I did checked the Enduro but I just don't like the geometry but I have to go back and take a second look, thanks for the sugestions guys. My lbs has the Stumpy Expert and an Epic for $2200 dlls, is this a good deal?
    Stumpy-yes, Epic-no. The Epic is a XC race bike, that one is shaved down to be as light as possible. I don't see that bike lasting very long with a 200+ lb rider.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Jim D.
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

Mtc
    mtbr member
    The Epic is plenty durable as it has last generation Enduro stays and the bearings are bomb proof. Also the Epic is a good choice for large fellows because you set the shock to your weight and ride without worry of suspension movement under that weight. With the Septunes lack of Pro pedal I'd say Epic is ok, also the 100 FSR would prolly be good. When I got my first Epic 3 years ago I was a fast for a fat guy 220lbs(5'9"!!! fast). Three years later I'm 175 catted up to expert. Funny thing is I'm contemplating the FSR120 for next year.
    Of course next year with the Epics Brain fade who knows whats on the agenda.
    Good luck, you have some decisions to make, at least its hard to go wrong with Specialized MTB line up.

James

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Actually...

With the Septunes lack of Pro pedal
    The Septune has 7 levels of Pro Pedal, but no lock out.
    It's a Sledgehammer...

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    The Septune has 7 levels of Pro Pedal, but no lock out.
    Sorry, I relize that. it just doesn't work...... compared to the Triad.
    Last edited by Mtc; 07-17-2005 at 05:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    The Epic is plenty durable as it has last generation Enduro stays and the bearings are bomb proof. Also the Epic is a good choice for large fellows because you set the shock to your weight and ride without worry of suspension movement under that weight. With the Septunes lack of Pro pedal I'd say Epic is ok, also the 100 FSR would prolly be good. When I got my first Epic 3 years ago I was a fast for a fat guy 220lbs(5'9"!!! fast). Three years later I'm 175 catted up to expert. Funny thing is I'm contemplating the FSR120 for next year.
    Of course next year with the Epics Brain fade who knows whats on the agenda.
    Good luck, you have some decisions to make, at least its hard to go wrong with Specialized MTB line up.

James
    Part of my advice to bajamtnbkr was based of the discription of the riding he talks about doing
    I ride xc and like to climb a lot but I'm slow on downhills, I'm 5'11' and 230lb!! and that is my concern, I don't do drops or any agresive ride other than some epic xc rides but I want to make sure the stumpy can handle the weight and before you guys say anything I'm working on lowering the weight
    You're doing the racing, he's trail/epic riding. I'm not looking to start an argument but for him the Stumpjumper is the better choice.

Jim D.
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just a got stumpy fsr 100 expert as well. im 5'10 210lbs. It works great ! had to increase rear shock pressure to 215psi since I prefer stiffer dumpening.

If you do xc and downhill this bike can do both very well. good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Epic or Stumpy?

I guess I need to get in on this discussion. I got a Stumpjumper 120 Expert about a month ago to replace my Epic. Wow... I forgot what having full suspension was like (I had 2000, 2002, 2003 Enduros). What I loose in efficancy I gain in comfort. Which will make my rides faster and better. My XL stumpy 120 is only .2 lbs heavier than my epic. It will be lighter once I put Crossmax SLs on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images