mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Stumpjumper FSR and Enduro sl question

So how much of a difference is there in weight and climbability between these two bikes? Obviously the Enduro SL will go down a little better. There is only an inch or so difference in travel I think. What are you guy's thoughts on this? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    From what I can find, the SJ is about 27lbs and the Enduro SL hovers around 30LBS?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have had both bikes , and for the kinda riding we have here in AZ the enduro climbs the nasty climbs better , faster and in more controll, ------then when ripping down the decents there is no compairson , ----the stumpy will get you hurt out here really quick , where as the enduro will just blast on through and with inspired confidense letting you just charge hard.

Not to mention the availibilty to slide your forks down ( e-150 only ) and get a 66.5 head tube angle really helps .

I never use the shorter fork option , ----there is no need for me and my buddys that have them do not need to lower them either .

I have my e150 modded to 160mm travel and it works great ----------it worked great at 150 also.

My enduro is 30.3 lbs and its an XL chassis , ----my oldlady's enduro is a carbon pro and in a med and its 28.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    I have my e150 modded to 160mm travel and it works great
    How'd you do that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    How'd you do that?
    There are several different ways to do it ,--------The damper cartrige actually has 7" of usable travel , the air cartridge is the top out travel limiter .---------And the stanchions hit the bottom out bumpers to limit the end of travel -----( there is room at either end if need be )

I just machined a different end cap for the top of the air cartridge that was deeper and allowed 12 to 15 mm more travel depending on the thickness of the top out bumper I used .

The e-150 is really a great fork , ----you can do so much with this fork as far as travel, HTAngle and of course there is nothing that is as ridged unless it is a tripple crown .

That was what I hated the most on the 2010 enduro was the week steering ft end , -------it really shows up badly out here in the high speed rock beds and in some of the hard hitting techy rocky sections that we have all over out here

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My Enduro SL is around 31 lbs. I'd like to get it in the 29lbs range. Think tires would do it? Maybe carbon seat post and bars?

mtbr member
    My SL is 32 pounds. I wouldnt think of trying to lighten it up. I have a good ratio of lightness to strenght. Considering the type of riding an SL is meant for, going all weight weenie is counter productive. If it means that I make it to the top of a climb 30 seconds behind others in my group then so be it. Which isnt the case, the heavier bike has helped my fitness ten fold. I have got to the point where I dont even leave the middle ring for anything except super steep tech. But all things aside, tires and going tubeles is a great way to shed some weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    not trying to go weight weenie I rarely come out of the middle ring also. I just think it would be even nicer to cut some weight off it if I can. Especially rotating mass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    not trying to go weight weenie I rarely come out of the middle ring also. I just think it would be even nicer to cut some weight off it if I can. Especially rotating mass.
    Rotating weight is the best place to drop weight The main reason Im at 32 pounds is because I run a Joplin Seatpost, which is kind of heavy, but the advantage that thing gives me in technical sitauions is worth the extra heft. It is truthfully, one of the best upgrades I have ever slapped on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have our height adjustable post the Command Post on both my mountain bikes My Enduro and my lightweight xc race S-Works Epic. It really makes riding more fun and versatile.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    I have our height adjustable post the Command Post on both my mountain bikes My Enduro and my lightweight xc race S-Works Epic. It really makes riding more fun and versatile.
    It helps keep the flow. No more having to get off my bike and drop my post. Push my thumb and walla, Im set. When I first got it, I would forget that I had it, but now, my thumb is constantly pressing that button.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'll definitely look into that seat post. That is one annoying thing for me to stop and drop my post. I wouldn't care about the weight if it helps.

in reality this thing is a lightweight compared to my 43lb freeride bike that I sometimes pedal up

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Speci- Suspension Tech
    This is one thing I have not used yet , ----( I actually demoed several bikes with one and just did not think to use it )
    Im just so tall and my little 7 year old girl legs are so long that I really do not notice the seat when getting back , ----------

I actually run my seat lower that I should ,-- and when I drop it just 1" I feel all goofy ----

I turn the bike and controll it with my legs and when that point moves I feel screwed .

But all of my buddys use them and now can't live without them --------( they are all short guys with short leggs ---------so I can see why they would )

so I just don't know ------------I guess if I could just get it to move 1" only and then I could raise my seat to where it should be --------maybe that would be the ticket ----------

I just don't know

DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My Enduro SL is around 31 lbs. I'd like to get it in the 29lbs range. Think tires would do it? Maybe carbon seat post and bars?
    You need the carbon frame I don't think you'd get to 29lbs even if you used the bike without a seat post, handlebar and tyres

On a more serious note, you'd probably save the most weight by looking at the wheels. Tubeless Rovals would save a fair bit...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    This is one thing I have not used yet , ----( I actually demoed several bikes with one and just did not think to use it )
    Im just so tall and my little 7 year old girl legs are so long that I really do not notice the seat when getting back , ----------

I actually run my seat lower that I should ,-- and when I drop it just 1" I feel all goofy ----

I turn the bike and controll it with my legs and when that point moves I feel screwed .

But all of my buddys use them and now can't live without them --------( they are all short guys with short leggs ---------so I can see why they would )

so I just don't know ------------I guess if I could just get it to move 1" only and then I could raise my seat to where it should be --------maybe that would be the ticket ----------

I just don't know

I'm 6' so I'm no shorty and the post works great for me. The way i see it, if all you do is ride flowy singletrack, there isn't much of a use. But if you love to ride tech, all things being equal, the guy with the dropper is going to win. I have mine positioned for climbing efficiency and then I mash it for the downs or for a technical section. It even helps in techy climbs. I have riding buddies who scoff at my post and think it is useless. But if you watch us ride, the guys with their posts way up always look sketchy on tech. Its not just about getting behind you seat. With the seat dropped I am free to maneuver the bike in alot more ways. It is not absolutely essential, but it does make my riding much more fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    I'm 6' so I'm no shorty and the post works great for me. The way i see it, if all you do is ride flowy singletrack, there isn't much of a use. But if you love to ride tech, all things being equal, the guy with the dropper is going to win. I have mine positioned for climbing efficiency and then I mash it for the downs or for a technical section. It even helps in techy climbs. I have riding buddies who scoff at my post and think it is useless. But if you watch us ride, the guys with their posts way up always look sketchy on tech. Its not just about getting behind you seat. With the seat dropped I am free to maneuver the bike in alot more ways. It is not absolutely essential, but it does make my riding much more fun.
    I Know you guys are right , I am just goofy and it takes me along time to get used to something as personal as seat position , -----I just need to get use to not having the seat there at my knees -----------its going to be hard for me , I lever off of it alot and it really is not in my way at all ------I really could have used an XXL chassis if they made one

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Tell me more about this post you speak of. I agree, on my freeride bike, when my post is down and low the steep techy stuff is WAAAY more confidence inspiring

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yep per , the rotating mass is the best to remove ------an XT cassette with the roval wheels with a tubeless set up and a light weight chain and XTR pedals really took off the weight on mine .

My oldladys bike came with all the cool stuff on hers for the most part--------
    Thats a big reason I don't add a drop seat post it because of weight ------I know its stupid and I am going to have to do it --------but I am just stubborn -----every once in a while I will catch my paint leg just wrong enough on some really nasty steep rocky decent and dam neer endo --------so I see the advantge ----------