mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Stumpjumper fsr comp vs Trance x1 vs Fuel ex8

Well I need some help deciding which bike to go with, I am 5'11 155 lbs have an 18" Haro R3 and I am looking to upgrade soon. I have read a lot about all bikes execpt the stj fsr but I will be getting a test bike from lbs to test out but I am still looking for pros and cons for all bikes and I will be posting this on each forum. The only bike I did ride briefly was the ex 8 and I noticed my foot hitting the swingarm when pedaling and I believe I read about that being a problem on the forum. Anyway any info. on any bike would be appreciated if you've had firsthand experience. Thanks

Huh?
    I know this is a Specialized forum, but I really think you should get the Trance. It's just so much more bike than a Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    They are ALL really good bikes. Test ride em all and decide which feels right.

mtbr member
    Compare the specs on each online. Talk to the LBS about the best price they will give you. Test ride each bike. Make a decision.

Statements like "It's just so much more bike than a Stumpjumper" should not be considered in your decision.

BTW, I had a Fisher Cake (Trek owned) before. The Bonty components on it were some of the worst pieces of garbage (tires, stem, cranks, etc....). House brand Spec components are hit and miss (seatpost sucks, stem is awesome).

mtbr member
    If your choice is between EX8 and FSR Comp, I'd go with FSR Comp. It seems that the components are similar, only Trek has Shimano drivetrain and Specialized has SRAM. But I like the DT Swiss made wheels on Specialized.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    House brand Spec components are hit and miss (seatpost sucks, stem is awesome).
    Depends what stem you get. If you get a bike with the specialized mobius stem, give up right then. I sold mine to a fisherman looking for an anchor for his boat. 392g for a stem....honestly....

mtbr member

Trance

If you get a chance to try the Trance you should, it's a great bike. I don't have one but rented one for a couple days and was really impressed. It rode just as well as my Blur.

If you can get a good deal it should be considered.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I didn't ride the Trance, but did ride both the SJ Comp and Fuel EX8. I thought the Fuel climbed like it weighed a ton. It was pretty fun and maneuverable on the flats. The SJ climbed and handled great - It did everything a trail bike should be able to do.

I bought a SJ Comp. After the first month, I'm pretty happy with it.

Good luck.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

this has been beaten to death, but

the giant has a better suspension design, imlo..

rode fsr's for over 5 years, great design, climb well, super supple, handle well, but will get pedal strikes if that bothers you.
    but,, need to rely on too much shock platform to hammer on or they bob like crazy.

trek is just a copy of the single pivot DW design and not as good as his DW-link design and he will tell you that too..

the giant is an earlier version of his DW-link design and does not need platform to ride well. the bike is stiffer, stronger and the pivots will last longer.

but buy what you like, try them all and get the one that fits and handles best for you..

ride what you like but just ride.
    Last edited by brook_63@yahoo.com; 03-26-2008 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brook_63@yahoo.com
    trek is just a copy of the single pivot DW design and not as good as his DW-link desing and he will tell you that too..
    I can't find anything DW has that is like the trek full floater system and of course he will tell you his is better. You think he would say a competitors product is better?

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

search a little harder

he has 2 designs or more..

here is a link that shows you. basically a single pivot bike. the trek is the same but the rear shock can move-big deal.lol

here are the two DW page links
    http://www.split-pivot.com/performance.html
    http://www.dw-link.com/home.html

and here is the Trek page link
    http://www.trekbikes.com/fuelex/

leverage ratio's and shock rates will have a large variation, but still think trance is better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't buy a Trance x!

Great bike, but you can't buy any replacement shocks for it, as Giant used a super special size on the TX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Tough call. I rode the Trance a little in parking lot. Not really a good test but I loved how it felt nonetheless. A little too heavy for my tastes though. Haven't ridden the new stumpy but I'm bummed they did away with the Talas fork. Seems more XCish with the thinner tires too. I love the 140mm fork on my 07 Stumpy and I change the lengths regularly. I really like what they've done with the Fuel. However, being only 5' 6" stand over height is a problem for me. If I were your height I'd probably go with the Fuel. Though I agree with those that suggest you ought to test ride em first. Good luck.

Huh?
    Just a heads up for something I missed... I forgot the Trance is not a Reign. I'd go with the Stumpy or Fuel now.