Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29 weight?

Anyone of you own this 29er? How much does it weight?

I am looking for the one without the brain shock, in size Medium.

Thanks.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Anyone of you own this 29er? How much does it weight?

I am looking for the one without the brain shock, in size Medium.

Thanks.
    Having recently ridden the amazing but way-out-of-my-price-range S-works Stumpy FSR 29er I was curious about this myself and the only specific info I could find was at this link:

2012 Specialized Actual Weights Mountain Bikes and 29ers - Bike Rumor

The caption below the picture states 29lbs 14oz for a large "regular" Stumpjumper 29 (sans pedals). But I'm confused as to which model that actually is since it has a non-brain Fox shock - which the Comp and EVO models have (although this shock looks to have a Kashima coating), a blacklight command post (which the comp does not have) and the neon yellow color scheme of the EVO (the comp carbon is satin carbon/charcoal/silver in the US). The fork also looks like a Rockshox, which comes on the EVO as well. Makes me think it's not a Comp model. Not sure what that means for a weight comparison.

superluker
    Aug 2009
    [/QUOTE]

That bike looks a whole lot like the SJ FSR 29r EVO. The Comp Carbon is quite a different bike.
    FWIW I should have mine by Friday, I'll weight it then and report back

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Where are the weights for higher end epics? Nothing for stumpy HT's either....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For those of you that ride one, how does it climb? I am a middle ring/ big ring hammer head. If you see a guy flying past you on a big chainring during a climb, it will likely be me.

I like the epic carbon alot, but thought that it was kind of holding me back on the decent. I am not a good downhiller, so normally need to depend on a bike with trail /AM geometry and suspensions to help me shed the downhill part. Hoping something like the SJ 29 will do just that.

superluker
    Aug 2009
    So the bike arrived early Completely stock, size medium and with the plastic pedals installed it weighed in at 28lbs2oz on a Park digital scale.
    First ride in th AM tomorrow.
    Post ride pics.
    Lincoln's 7th Birthday 024
    Lincoln's 7th Birthday 023
    Last edited by taehome; 11-24-2011 at 10:00 AM.

SXtreem now
    I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Size xl with a couple upgrades and tubeless weighed 27.1 on the bike shop scale. I'm pretty excited about that. It will be under 27 when I'm done with the upgrades!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by RMXtreem View Post
    I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Size xl with a couple upgrades and tubeless weighed 27.1 on the bike shop scale. I'm pretty excited about that. It will be under 27 when I'm done with the upgrades!
    I'm very interested in your outcome as I just ordered a 2011 model in alum with the brain but i'm having second thoughts...

I'm wondering if specialized removed the brain issue off the 2012 model because the 2011 model had issues with the older brain system or did they do it to just change things up a bit...

I might rather go with the 2012 carbon model with the auto sag instead... I have 2012 XTR components that I took off another bike I sold and I'm going to install them in which ever of the two bikes I get...

The 2011 has a bottom bracket that works perfectly with the xtr bottom crank but the 2112 model has the PF30, OS press-in bearing that doesn't, so I probably wont change it yet if I get the 2012...

The diff in price between the two bikes is about $450.00 more for the carbon...

It's just NICE to have a carbon frame...

Decisions, Decisions man.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    I'm wondering if specialized removed the brain issue off the 2012 model because the 2011 model had issues with the older brain system or did they do it to just change things up a bit...

The 2011 has a bottom bracket that works perfectly with the xtr bottom crank but the 2112 model has the PF30, OS press-in bearing that doesn't, so I probably wont change it yet if I get the 2012...
    There are still some models with Brain shocks. It just happens the Carbon Comp models do not, but I believe the Carbon Expert versions do.

No Brain means you may need to do some lever flipping to get the pedaling characteristics you need, but usually also means less cost to own, as you don't need to send the shock back to Specialized for service.

As far as the PF30 bottom bracket goes, a $30 adapter will allow you to run your XTR cranks.

Wheels Mfg - BB 30 Shims

One more thing to note - the 2012 models also get a 142x12 rear end for a little extra stiffness.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay View Post
    There are still some models with Brain shocks. It just happens the Carbon Comp models do not, but I believe the Carbon Expert versions do.

No Brain means you may need to do some lever flipping to get the pedaling characteristics you need, but usually also means less cost to own, as you don't need to send the shock back to Specialized for service.

As far as the PF30 bottom bracket goes, a $30 adapter will allow you to run your XTR cranks.

Wheels Mfg - BB 30 Shims

One more thing to note - the 2012 models also get a 142x12 rear end for a little extra stiffness.
    Any Advice as to one bike vs the other?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Your link to the BB30 adapter says that PF30 ( different from BB30) wont work and requires a different crank.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub View Post
    Your link to the BB30 adapter says that PF30 ( different from BB30) wont work and requires a different crank.
    Give these a try then.

Problem Solvers

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay View Post
    Give these a try then.

Problem Solvers
    Thanks...Gonna give them a shot...

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by taehome View Post
    So the bike arrived early Completely stock, size medium and with the plastic pedals installed it weighed in at 28lbs2oz on a Park digital scale.
    First ride in th AM tomorrow.
    Post ride pics.
    Lincoln's 7th Birthday 024
    Lincoln's 7th Birthday 023
    How did you like the ride???... I missed if you posted any info. after the ride...Waiting for mine to arrive???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taehome View Post
    That bike looks a whole lot like the SJ FSR 29r EVO. The Comp Carbon is quite a different bike.
    FWIW I should have mine by Friday, I'll weight it then and report back[/QUOTE]

That looks like an EVO and it has the command post which adds a lot of weight. I heard the command post by itself is 2 lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Totally stock with Straitline pedals (500+grams) my 2012 large carbon comp 29 came in at 29.2 lbs ( on a legal postal scale) Took it back apart for a few part swaps. More for personal fit than weight.
    Enjoy every ride!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    That's pretty impressive, considering that's probably a little lighter than my Sultan w/ENVE AM wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Smile

Any ride reports on the 29er fsr comp carbon with no brain?...Keep hearing not-so-great-stuff about the brain and I don't mind flipping a pro-pedal lever...like the carbon and the 29er wheels...though I've only tried in a parking lot so far.

mtbr member

2013 FSR Expert Carbon 29er

My large sized 2013 Stumjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29 weighed 28.6 pounds with XTR 970 pedals, tubeless and Stan's. Just upgraded wheels to Roval Control Trail SL with the carbon rims and now it weighs in exactly at 28.00 lbs. I even added more stans to both wheels. Oh yeah, that includes my light mount and bottle cage as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29 weight?-pc220343.jpg  

Last edited by mtnbkr80015; 12-22-2012 at 08:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I got my '13 SJ FSR Comp 29er down to 28lb 4 oz after swapping wheels and cassette. Planning on swapping bars/stem/pedals/cranks all before spring. It's gonna be as light or lighter than most of Carbon SJ's but I still wish I had the carbon frame.

Ski during the off-season
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I got my '13 SJ FSR Comp 29er down to 28lb 4 oz after swapping wheels and cassette. Planning on swapping bars/stem/pedals/cranks all before spring. It's gonna be as light or lighter than most of Carbon SJ's but I still wish I had the carbon frame.
    What size frame? How does it feel after swapping out the other items?
    Last edited by journey; 07-04-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Edit

mtbr member
    My (medium) Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er with rovals is 28.05
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by journey View Post
    What size frame? How does it feel after swapping out the other items?
    I have a medium frame. I also upgraded cranks, rear cassette, and bars. The dropper negated some of that weight but it still weighs less than before. With a new set of hoops and tubeless you feel like your bike it supercharged. Feels totally different.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I have BB30-to-Hollowtech adapters. PM me, if wanting...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Just got my new 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29 on an awesome deal at my LBS.
    Out of the shop, with OEM components, this beauty weight 26.3 (size Large - no pedals installed)

Now time to have fun and get DIRT!

Cheers!

ps. Dog is actually lighter that the bike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29 weight?-img_1411%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by rossomtb; 3 Days Ago at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast