mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er Photos

I've seen pictures of lots of different builds here...but not the SJ FSR Comp 29er (at least not a thread)

Picking up mine tomorrow so I will add to the list of shots when I get it...would love to see everyone else's, either stills, or in action.

thanks
    Last edited by rmasse10; 11-07-2010 at 06:19 AM.
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

mtbr member
    Also, on another note...tell me what you think of NOT getting the brain option on the higher end model. Do you wish you saved up a bit more and went for it or it really didnt make a difference to ya.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've had my Stumpy FSR 29er for a little over 4 weeks now and am enjoying every minute of riding it. I went from a HT 26er to the FS 29er, so I've been very pleased with the setup of the bike. I've not ridden one with the brain on it, but I can't say it would be worth the money for me and the type of riding I do. I currently ride alot of trails, with small 2-3 foot rock drops, rolling single track terrain, so I'm not sure exactly where the brain would be a benefit. I'm very happy with the Fox triad on the bike and actually haven't even used the lock-out on the shock. I usually don't stand up on climbs, so this may be an area that the brain works well, but I don't feel that the Triad has been a negative at all to me yet.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I've had SJs with the brain and with Triads. Currently have a 2010 SJ Comp 29er and an Epic 29er. I like the geometry and ride of the SJ better for my needs, but the Epic feels a bit quicker when climbing - the difference isn't really that great, though. The SJ feels more solid and stable on the trail. With a light set of wheels and faster tires on the SJ the bikes would probably be even closer in terms of efficiency.

Brain vs ProPedal - The brain works - No doubt about it. If you stand and pedal hard out of the saddle, then the brain platform can be set to be more efficient than the Triad. It doesn't go to hardtail firm on the SJ, but it does pedal very well. I usually rode my brain SJ at around 3-4 clicks out from firm and gotta say that ProPedal feels really similar. If you dial the brain to be more firm than that, then it will pedal better that the Triad, but will also be more harsh on rough terrain.

The brain is a great design for someone that is more concerned about efficiency, but ProPedal works very well as a trail bike platform, where you still get good efficiency and can make a quick change from open to ProPedal to locked out while riding.

When climbing out of the saddle in ProPedal on the Comp I have more trouble with fork bob than I do with the rear suspension bobbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm waiting on my SJ Comp 29er to get here. I'm really anxious to get it since I've been riding a crappy Mongoose bike. 3.5 weeks and still waiting. Hopefully it'll be in soon.

mtbr member
    Well, just came home with it...man its a sharp looking bike. Some people in the shop were commenting on it saying that it looked awesome...

Ill grab a shot tomorrow and post it up. Had a bit of an issue getting it home at first. My rack on my maxima is a Yakim King Joe 3 and the SJ didnt fit so had to get bike rod to get it to fit...anyway that cost me another $40 (which I didnt feel like spending but hey what the hell). Its home now and I am a happy camper...taking it on its first voyage tomorrow!

The Other Dude
    Here is mine, all stock with exception to the command post. I like having the triad shock on there, so far, so good. Its been a great solid bike, i even raced it once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er Photos-dsc_0442.jpg  

Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Here is mine, all stock with exception to the command post. I like having the triad shock on there, so far, so good. Its been a great solid bike, i even raced it once.
    Nice Shot!

The Other Dude
    haha, wrong pic, here is the right one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er Photos-picture-1.jpg  

Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Ok...so I was checking a few things out since I got it home...here are some quick shots..not broken in yet...nice and clean (for now)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er Photos-photo-1-1.jpg  

Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er Photos-photo-2-1.jpg  

Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er Photos-photo-3-1.jpg  

Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er Photos-photo-4-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    haha, wrong pic, here is the right one!
    Nice....i wanted that black and red test bike when I saw it at the LBS, but they said i could only order the blue and white. They cut you a deal on the test ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesvtcobra
    Nice....i wanted that black and red test bike when I saw it at the LBS, but they said i could only order the blue and white. They cut you a deal on the test ride?
    They gave a little off but not much....bad time to buy since close to Christmas and bikes are flying out the door, and there arent many available at any local LBS...but yes, I typically get decent discounts on their components...just a couple hundred off on this puppy. Changed out the pedals right away to crankbrothers mallets, and the gripes are Oury locking grips

mtbr member
    Ok, so she went out on her maiden voyage...took her on a fast 8 mile run. I let her fly wide open if she wanted it. What an amazing ride....she hugged the corners, downhill was pretty fast and in control. Climbs were a little slower but never got off my seat...amazing.

I must say, this aint your mothers mountain bike!