mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er climbing?

How is this bad boy as a climber? Selling my Fuel EX and looking to upgrade to a 29er. I ride mostly steep rocky trails here in Fort Collins, Colorado. Ruled out the Epic as I think I may need something a bit beefier, and am not a big fan of the Camber as my friend has one and I got to ride a bit.

Currently looking at the Stumpy FSR 29er Comp and the Rumblefish Elite. Similar price points, similar specs (SRAM vs Shimano), but the Stumpy has 130mm up front. Have always been a Trek guy but was thinking maybe switching. Liked the Rumblefish a lot, and thought it might be a better climber because of the 120mm, but wanted to give the Stumpy a good look.

Obviously, climbing isnt the only aspect, but I know they are both great bikes pointing down, and climbing is one of the things I'll definitely be looking at.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The stumpy is not a climber. Mine climbs alright with pro pedal turned on and bobs a lil bit with the shock open. I usually ride with the shock open and get some pedal bob on some climbs...sometimes causing the chain ring or pedals to strike rocks and roots slowing me down.

This is the one negative side affect of the bike...otherwise, it's a beast in every other aspect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There aren't many long. extended climbs on the trails I ride here in central CT, but we do have LOTS of rocks & roots coupled with short, steep pitches. I've never had a problem climbing on my Stumpy FSR 29'er.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I do full lockout on mine during long climbs and it rides like a true 29 pound 29er hardtail. This is better than most dualie 29er i rode out there. The epic and tallboy climbed better, but the stumpy is much better on the down hill. Also, best AM 29er climbing wise. I had a very sucesssful xc racing career before, so i am very picky about climbing ability of bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have been surprised at how well it handles short climbs. I have dropped down into a few loose and rocky drainages where I expected to bail off and start walking midway up the other side. But, most of the time, if I'm in the right gear going in, I can power up the other side for 20 to 30 feet without spinning the rear wheel or stopping dead against a rock. It climbs better than my last 26" hardtail. I have done some longer climbs (3000+ feet) on smooth single track and canyon roads this season. I haven't had a any problems grinding uphill for a couple of hours. I'm definitely not an expert climber, though. I have the Strava times to prove it.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    We have some pretty technical and steep long climbs in western NC and the bike climbs amazing. Mostly run propedal except for on gravel I run fully locked out.

Laughable Man...haaaa
    2013 Stumpy FSR Comp here.

She goes up just as well as she goes down. That's a win in my book any day.
    I see you rolled your way into the Semi's...Dios Mio Man...

mtbr member
    I live in Golden- so similar conditions as you. I have been riding a 2011 Epic Carbon Comp 29er for the past two seasons and last weekend, I demoed a 2012 SJ Comp 29er. I was blown away. I had it for two days and got two decent rides in- both with over 1500' of climbing on fairly-technical terrain (Apex & Chimney if you're familiar). I was blown away. The newer fox rear shocks are fantastic. I climbed with it in lockout mode pretty much the whole time and it was equally as efficient as my Epic is on the rear end. One the descents, she was a beauty of plush goodness. I set up the cockpit with my stem, bars and grips, giving it a little more aggressive (and less upright) of a stance than it comes with- more like my Epic. I rode with my wheels and tires, so that I wouldn't be thinking about those either. I was blown away. I wasn't thinking about the bike. Except on the downhills. Where it shined. I ride my Epic pretty hard, but sometimes feel like I'm beating it up pretty badly, so I think you're right to err towards the Stumpy if you ride the same type of terrain. The epic has been great, but the SJ will be my next bike. I wish it came with an RLC up front- I really like being able to have a lockout threshold for the climbs and also like being able to set my compression damping, but other than that, I wouldn't change much. I've ridden other 5"+ 29er FS bikes (Tallboy), and felt like they were inch-worms compared to my Epic. They were older and only had ProPedal and not a full lockout, which is probably more the difference than anything else, but I was totally impressed with the climbing ability of the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango65 View Post
    2013 Stumpy FSR Comp here.

She goes up just as well as she goes down. That's a win in my book any day.
    I am glad to read this. We have a gnarly loop with some serious drop offs hills to go up and fly down as well as log jump sections and natural terrain. My epic fly's through these trails, but its not a bike I would jump and do otherwise. I feel with the SJ I can take advantage of everything the trail has. Winter project!

T