mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 as an XC bike

I have been riding since April, and picked up my 2012 Rockhopper 29 in May. I really love riding, and am going to stick with it. My buddies have both upgraded their bikes to FS bikes, and there is just no comparing. Now I am looking at the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I ride on rocky trails, lots of climbing. Slow, rocky technical sections, and rocky downhill sections. Areas with dirt, loose gravel, sand, river beds, etc... I have read lots of reviews, and get mixed results. How does the stumpy climb? It has more travel than your typical XC bike and was wondering if it is too much for what I do. Can the longer travel suspension hinder me?
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

Competent User
    Sounds like the kind of trails we ride around here in NH, and lots of guys ride SJ 29 FSRs. I have a Camber 29, which is a little stiffer and a little less travel than the SJ, and I wish I had some more of the SJ action. It's a trail bike, not an AM bike. You'll be just fine with it. Try it out to make sure it's comfy, but it's not too much bike from what you're describing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I find it climbs GREAT with the pro-pedal and when it gets rough and technical it climbs just fine fully open. Traction everywhere and the bike is extremely plush when pointed down. It just seems to eat up everything I throw at it. My 2012 large comp weighed in at 29lbs 7oz with the plastic flat crap pedals they throw on the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Climbs fine, but quite a bit slower at it than my other bikes. And it's like riding a couch on the way down.

Bobs like crazy with platform pedals. Not so much with clipless.

Definite overkill for XC, but I like it fine.

Competent User
    You know, you could look into the Camber. The 2013's are pretty stellar, and the 2012's are probably cheap right now.

FKA Malibu412
    Looks mixed to me, kinda like the reviews. Pro pedal and technique works for some and others think it's a pig. The Camber is more xc-like, more twitchy on descents. Go ride and decide.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Thirsty
    Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    I have been riding since April, and picked up my 2012 Rockhopper 29 in May. I really love riding, and am going to stick with it. My buddies have both upgraded their bikes to FS bikes, and there is just no comparing. Now I am looking at the 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I ride on rocky trails, lots of climbing. Slow, rocky technical sections, and rocky downhill sections. Areas with dirt, loose gravel, sand, river beds, etc... I have read lots of reviews, and get mixed results. How does the stumpy climb? It has more travel than your typical XC bike and was wondering if it is too much for what I do. Can the longer travel suspension hinder me?
    The terrain you are describing sounds a lot like what I ride with my 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I can't afford to have too many bikes, so this is pretty much my one and only MTB on which I ride everything. I have no problems climbing with the rear shock in Trail or Climb mode. I rarely lock out the fork in Climb mode since I like a bit of give when climbing rocking trails, so the Trail setting what I use most.

With a Command Post Blacklite, this bike has been everything I've needed even on days I am climbing 3000-4000 feet. I've had no trouble keeping up with riding buddies on HT or 4" XC bikes, but on the chunky downhills some of them get left in my dust trying to find the smoothest lines. I can't define the line between XC and AM, but I know that I would rather have a slightly heavier 5" bike that climbs very well so I can bomb the downhills without a second thought.
    Last edited by BrewMaster; 09-04-2012 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    i just got a 2013 stumpy fsr elite 29er. I'm in love with it.

I live in midland Texas and ride alot in San Angelo so I bet the terrain is really similar to yours. Also i started on a 09 rockhopper comp 26" and then went to a 10 stumpy expert carbon HT 29er. I think this bike is the best one yet. It is technically heavier than my carbon stumpy but it doesn't feel like it on the trail. I actually prefer it over the carbon bike. Its all about the traction.

Two of my riding Friends got 2013 epics comps one is carbon and they are good bikes but I prefer the less race like ergos of the stumpy. I like the stable feel of it downhill and it climbs like a beast for me. I have made two rides so far and have climbed three sections I had trouble with on my HT without problems.

If you have funds I would recommend the elite model because you get the brain shock and the fox talus fork (adjustable from 110mm to 130mm travel and CTD system), both are better than what comes on the comp bike and you get carbon crankset and remote dropper seatpost ( im just getting used to but its a useful feature and comes in handy on techy trail sections) I like my seat high for longer single track section and its nice to drop it so i can touch my foot when i feel the need.

I am a Clydesdale rider also so the beefier bike I think is not overkill for me.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

mtbr member
    Decisions decisions. I hope my LBS has one to demo, because i do want something that out climbs my HT Rockhopper. I would also like to try out the Epic.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    because i do want something that out climbs my HT Rockhopper.
    Just for reference, my other bike is a HT Rockhopper (29er). The Stumpy FSR 29er does not outclimb it.

Thirsty
    I made the jump from HT to FS with this bike too. Had a Niner Air 9 HT before getting the Stumpy. I actually found that on rocky and technical climbs, the Stumpy climbs better. I think it is from the improved traction at the rear wheel. Also I've had more success with Stumpy on loose, steep climbs where traction is critical. I would imagine that climbing a fire road, the HT would probably win, all else being equal.

The only change I made to the Comp 29 was to add the Command Post and swap out for a bash guard that was actually bigger than middle ring. The stock bash is useless since it sits equal to the chain.

Here's my perspective on Comp vs Elite. I actually chose to avoid the Elite model because:
    a) I don't care about TALAS forks since I have never adjusted them in the past and 130mm fork doesn't mess with my climbing (just a personal preference, not a knock on TALAS forks)
    b) My cranks take a beating, so carbon cranks would be no bueno
    c) not really sure what the brain does, but I had good experiences with "plain" CTD shock
    d) Command Post was the only thing I wanted in Elite, so I bought it when I bought the bike since dealer gave 15% off any accessories purchase with bike.

I don't think you'd regret buying Comp 29. I know I didn't. Here's a pic from this weekend on one of my favorite local trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 as an XC bike-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have to admit, I don't have much experience, but I don't have any complaints about how my Rockhopper climbs, and have been very happy with it. One area I get left behind, and do have trouble, is the rocky downhill sections. The short, steep, rocky sections also give me trouble, and I hoping the S J will give me more confidence in those sections.

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I like my FSR Stumpy 29er for cross country riding. It is a little overkill, but at 6'8" , 240lbs, I need a little overkill even on the xc trails. I think it climbs really well for a bike of its nature I would guess that a typical ride for me involves around 1500 to 2000 vertical feet of climbing. The lock out (Front and rear) is nice on fire roads but for everything else I like to climb in the pro pedal or even full open.
    E

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    One area I get left behind, and do have trouble, is the rocky downhill sections. The short, steep, rocky sections also give me trouble, and I hoping the S J will give me more confidence in those sections.
    It will make those sections more comfortable, which might make you more confident, which might make you faster. Probably also a rear traction increase if you're not weighting things properly with body position, which would help.

Honestly, airing my rear tire way down made as much difference, without needing a new bike. I have both, and I ride the same stuff on both. But I'm not much into drops or jumps, so I can't comment there. And hey, new bikes are fun.

mtbr member
    Hey I'm not dissing the comp level bike, I was in line to get a red and black comp model prepaid and everything but my LBS kept getting put on back ordered list.

They are a smaller bike shop. When it got pushed back another two weeks I was disappointed and he suggested I go with the carbon comp. He looked and said he could get me a carbon comp or an elite they were showing plenty in stock for shipping. I told him don't know let me think about it and I get back with ya.

This was around 10am about 4pm he called me back and said that he just checked availability and they had 25 this morning but down to 8 now. If I wanted one soon I need to decide.

He also cut me a price that I thought was great because he was sorry he couldn't get me the bike I originally wanted.

I have bought two others from him and referred alot of my riding freinds there and he sold around 10 bikes on my referrals.

So I opted for the elite because the component level and the difference in weight is minimal between aluminum and the carbon bikes, about 1 1/2-2 lbs difference I think.

I'm glad I did. The comp I'm sure is great bike but elite has

talus fork (more adjustable, bigger tube 32mm, 20mm axle)

brain rear shock (more adjustable, does what ctd does but automatic not have to move hand to switch it)

carbon cranks (lighter and stronger, pimp)

XTR rear derailer (faster more positive shifts)

command post (very handy)

shimano slx shifters (dual motion trigger, faster)

1050 cassette(over the comps 1030)

plus the color, I like the red/black but this gold/black is growing on me. Remindes me of the smokey and the bandit trans am. Lol.

Buy which bike you want and ride, you wont be disappointed in either one. Your in El Paso right? Pm me and I'll give my bike shops #, you may have to drive or they might ship it IDK but I bet ya cant get a better deal. Hell I'm up there most every weekend I could pick it up and bring it back to Midland with me to cut your distance if you got a bike from them.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold

mtbr member
    im was just looking at the specs on specialized site. says elite model has same 15mm thru front axle as comp model, but mine has a 20mm thru axle. hmmm maybe a typo?
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonerz28 View Post
    im was just looking at the specs on specialized site. says elite model has same 15mm thru front axle as comp model, but mine has a 20mm thru axle. hmmm maybe a typo?
    I have seen quite a bit of typos on the Specialized website.

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonerz28 View Post
    Buy which bike you want and ride, you wont be disappointed in either one. Your in El Paso right? Pm me and I'll give my bike shops #, you may have to drive or they might ship it IDK but I bet ya cant get a better deal. Hell I'm up there most every weekend I could pick it up and bring it back to Midland with me to cut your distance if you got a bike from them.
    Thanks! I appreciate the offer, and I will keep it in mind!

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Put a little more air in the shocks than you need to stiffin it up if you have to. Both shocks are pretty customizable.

mtbr member
    I had the Camber Comp for a while and although a great bike, it was a little too stiff with not enough travel for me so I exchanged it in for a Stumpy. I thought the 29er wheel would make up for the 110 mm of travel on the Camber but after filling the shock up and hopping off my normal rocks ( 18 in or so) I saw that the O ring had almost completely bottomed out.
    The Stumpy should be good soft XC trails but in the gnar is where it will shine.