Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

stumpjumper fsr '07 fitting..

3K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  shadrack 
#1 ·
Hola,

So I finally decided to ditch out and replace my older hardtail built from the best scrap parts dumpster diving can find. :p . I’m not a pro, but I have always biked a lot on whatever I could find…. In particular I've been looking at the stump jumper comp '07.

Anyhoo, I seem to personally have trouble finding something 100% comfortable because I am always in-between sizes. I’m about 5'11-6' . 82cm ish inseam, slightly long neck heh. (If you would like any other measurements let me know) So it will either be a MED or LRG . I tried both of course, but something just felt meh~ either way. Both good, but not as much as I’d hope for, yet different depending on the size. Both frames have enough clearance for me to reproduce some day so that’s not a big concern. Even tried putting the LRG's stem onto the MED, which helped a bit but hmm. I do ride hybrid mtb/road bikes as well so that may be contributing to my ‘meh’ feelings overall.. I feel the same on a variety of bikes. Outside of that it handles great, and it's probably one of the better bikes I’ve tried (on the parking lot).

My biggest concern is that if I’m going to ditch $2700CAD (with tax) I may be screwing myself over if after riding it a bit, I find that I either the MED or LRG don’t fit well. I’m mainly posting because I am curious to know what other riders chose for their frame size that have similar measurements to me

Any information you guys could provide would be great!

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Id def. say your a large. I'm about 6'1, and ride a large because the xl just felt too big for me (I was inbetween those 2 sizes) with a 32" inseem. I think it fits well, although I dont have anything to compare it with. I'd put a longer stem on there, but I like the twitchyness of the dh's. If the bike doesn't fit that well, i'd hate to say it but try some other bikes out there. THEN come back to the stumpy, and see how it feels then. Hopefully that will help...

#9 ·
I'm 5'11" with a 32/33" inseam and some really, really long arms and ride a large. I had it fit by my LBS and I'm pretty comfortable on it. I did 7 hours of saddle time last week and other than being on a saddle for 7 hours I was fine.

#20 ·
I'm 5'10". I tried the 07 SJ FSR expert demo bikes in a medium and a large. I spent three days with those bikes. I bought the comp in a large, have had it since February and love it. I think I would be quite cramped on the medium. The length of the bike helps with climbs and gives stability in the rough stuff IMO.

#21 ·
You've got it all wrong! if your around 5'10" like me or 5'11" then go with the Stumpy size in between M and L. Thats what i got and its perrrrrfect. the seatpost isnt maxed out like the med would be and the wheel base isnt so long you'd need a walmart parking lot worth of space to carve a switchback.

So whats the size between M and L? they hid it under the size name women's large. It has the seattube length of a L but is half way in between top tube length. It comes with a huge seat but I use SLR's an all bikes anyway. Nothing else was different between the mens and womens spec. I love my bike and am so glad i got the WL because it fits like i got a custom frame instead of compormising with something 'close enough'.

#22 ·
<3

First ride was nice, but a bit of a mess. Didn't have shoes so i kept slipping off on the up hill. Wandered off a bit too far, and was pretty dead tired by the end with not a drop left to drink :( . Upon entering a clearing to see where i had to head back, all i could say was f*** :D

#24 ·
My two cents: Always go a little larger then a little smaller! Why? Because if its a bit too small you end up raising the seatpost up higher.
This in turn throws your body weight more forward, leaving you NOT as comfortable either.
I think a nuetral position is VERY important. If you go a little too bog, you can lower the seatpost a bit more and have a little more upright riding position.
I just had a guy try to sell me a medium because that was all they had. I WILL NOT NAME NAMES BUT HE LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER...............:nono:

#25 ·
5' 10 "

I too am thinking of a stumpy fsr comp and am 5' 10" it seems like I am right between the two sizes and my lbs doesn't have any fsrs. is there a cheaper version that has about the same fit? like a hardrock or something they might have on the showroom? reading peoples posts i have gotten differing feedback. some say large some say medium. i have to order this bike it has to be perfect!
thanks

ps order a woman's bike? did it come with the pink trim? i don't know if i could do that :nono:

#26 ·
Size Womens Large

ps order a woman's bike? did it come with the pink trim? i don't know if i could do that
it's not cool black stealth but rather girly silver with light blue highlights. i'll throw a pic of it when i get home. the womens bikes this year have wicked painjobs though. And this frame fits so good i could never let myself by a carbon specialized cause they wont fit as well. Do it, you wont regret it.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.