Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpjumper frame size for 5'11 on mountain trails? Medium or Large?

27K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  jpec29 
#1 ·
Hi.

What is the correct frame size(stumpjumper fsr) for someone who is 5'11 and want to ride on mountain trails?

I have gone to 2 bikes shops which have told me medium and 1 bike shop that said no question for a large frame.

So I am getting conflicting information.

Does anyone have any opinion on what the correct frame size for someone 5'11?

Thanks

#5 ·
Jonnydanger said:
What is it better to get a large with a shorter stem than a Medium with a long one? Is it because you can extend your legs longer while riding?

Thanks.
your leg extension would be the same, since you make up for the difference in seat tube with your seatpost... the difference would be in the steering..a shorter stem allows for faster steering

#6 ·
It sounds like most people went with the large. I wonder why the people at 2 of the bike shop were saying " I would put you on the medium" Maybe it was the only thing they had in stock.

So the large bike will be more nimble and controllable than the medium?

Please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

#7 ·
Jonnydanger said:
It sounds like most people went with the large. I wonder why the people at 2 of the bike shop were saying " I would put you on the medium" Maybe it was the only thing they had in stock.

So the large bike will be more nimble and controllable than the medium?

Please let me know.

Thanks for your help.
the steering will be much faster.... the "flickability/nimbleness" is usually associated with a smaller frame because of the reduced wheelbase.... but in this case I think the L will feel perfect...stable and fast..

#8 ·
I did a lot of research about frame sizes when I bought my bike a little while back, and I can tell you that most of the posts I saw for people 5'11" went for a large. My best advice would be to try riding both and see whatever feels best. I'm 5'9 1/2" and ended up going for a medium because I felt more in control of the smaller frame, but I was right on the verge of going for a Large. I ride a 100mm stem though, to keep things stretched out, and steering feels fine to me. I think there are many bikes that come stock with a longer stem..

Good luck.

#11 ·
I'm 5'11" also with a 32/33 inseam and a 34/35 arm length ... the bike shop I worked with had both sizes so no real "push" to sell either.

With that being said, when the shop did their "professional" fitting for me, a large was the frame size they recommended.

I've ridden the bike quite a bit, probably about 1300 trail/mountain miles since October and I feel very comfortable on it. That includes a few 7+ hours in the saddle rides.

Scott

#12 ·
I am 5' 11 and had a large xc fsr but found it a bit too long. Eventually got a medium stumpjumper fsr and it is perfect for me. Recently, i even opted for a short stem and 710 bars and i am very happy with the set up. Seems there is no easy answer. Best to try before u buy if possible

#13 ·
I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam (measured using a book and ruler against the wall method) and chose a medium. I would say with my inseam it's border line and most would recommend a size large. My seatpost is at the max height to get the correct leg extension, which is fine, but on the ragged edge.

For my XC racing setup, I have a 100mm stem and I'm probably sitting a bit to scrunched up / upright. I could correct my position by going with an even longer stem, but that would feel a little weird to me on that size frame. I ultimately chose medium because I grew up racing BMX and am at home with having a bike I can flick around at will. If you're not doing tight, twisty, and pump-like trail conditions, the larger frame would probably be better and more stable. In addition, if you don't have pretty good handling skills, you'll probably feel a little out of control at times. I'm also racing BMX again now with a small 20" wheeled bike, so I get a lot of practice from a technical perspective.

So, it all depends on your preference for stability vs. maneuverability and to some degree intended purpose (tight, twisty, lots of fast trail changes vs. non-technical, flat, slower flowing):

Large = more stable, easier to fit to be stretched out, slower response to rider inputs
Medium = faster response/handling, more "flickable", less stable. lower center of gravity

One final thought, with the head tube angle being so slack, you need weight over the front end for any cornering that isn't sloping downward. This is more easily accomplished on a medium than a large.

#16 ·
I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam (measured using a book and ruler against the wall method) and chose a medium. I would say with my inseam it's border line and most would recommend a size large. My seatpost is at the max height to get the correct leg extension, which is fine, but on the ragged edge.

For my XC racing setup, I have a 100mm stem and I'm probably sitting a bit to scrunched up / upright. I could correct my position by going with an even longer stem, but that would feel a little weird to me on that size frame. I ultimately chose medium because I grew up racing BMX and am at home with having a bike I can flick around at will. If you're not doing tight, twisty, and pump-like trail conditions, the larger frame would probably be better and more stable. In addition, if you don't have pretty good handling skills, you'll probably feel a little out of control at times. I'm also racing BMX again now with a small 20" wheeled bike, so I get a lot of practice from a technical perspective.

So, it all depends on your preference for stability vs. maneuverability and to some degree intended purpose (tight, twisty, lots of fast trail changes vs. non-technical, flat, slower flowing):

Large = more stable, easier to fit to be stretched out, slower response to rider inputs
Medium = faster response/handling, more "flickable", less stable. lower center of gravity

One final thought, with the head tube angle being so slack, you need weight over the front end for any cornering that isn't sloping downward. This is more easily accomplished on a medium than a large.
nice job dude, reviving a thread from 5 years ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.