mtbr member
    May 2009

Stumpjumper Expert FSR 29er - have you got one (pics)

Hi all,

I've put a deposit down on an XXL as I'm 6"6" tall and now I'm waiting for the bike to arrive. To be honest I'm a bit worried as I haven't ridden the bike and am afraid it's going to be a heavyweight bike that's lacking in finesse due to it's huge size.

I thought of getting a tallboy at one stage, but the whole package for the Stumpjumper looked fantastic value and couple that with a lifetime frame warranty and it's hard to say no.

Does anyone have this bike, or have it in xl or xxl, if you could give me an idea on how it rides and how the 130mm rear feels that would be awesome.

My last bike was a GF Rumblefish which sadly got stolen, it had a 110mm rear and for me was a great bike that did not feel bottomless in terms of rear travel, I'm looking for something more plusher where I can ride aggressively but still climb efficiently.

Thanks

turtles make me hot
    I'm 6'4" and I have the XL. I love it. I originally bought an 08 and cracked the frame and in less than two weeks had an 09 frame. It rides great. I'm a real clyde, so I ended up relacing the wheels with heavier spokes and brass nipples. The seat post is kinda weak as well. The single bolt clamp doesn't hold the seat's position real well..
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just got one in size large after renting a 2010 SJ and Pivot 429 on the same day. The Pivot reviews paint it is a quicker bike. I would not disagree, but felt they were pretty darn close and the SJ is a bit more plush - of course coming from a 90mm Epic everything feels plush. It looks better in person than the pictures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6'2" and have an XL. The big surprise for me was that this bike, despite weighing 3 pounds more than my hardtail feels lighter and handles tight & twisty single track better. Now, any big 29er won't handle as well as a smaller bike, but hey, it's all realitive. Big guys like us will rarely be able to hang with smaller riders for obvious reasons.

You didn't mention your weight, but I'm 240 and plan on upgrading to a stronger wheel set at some point. Keep an eye on spoke tension to prolong the life of your wheels, my rear wheel's spokes need to be tensioned every 3-4 rides even though it's a 36 spoke rim.

Bottom line, I'm thrilled with my choice!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    One question I did have is the fork on the Specialized FSR 29er expert - is it def adjustable from 130mm to 140mm? Some people on the forums say it is, but some don't seem to agree.

Also is the Stumpjumper 29er suitable for AM riding (may be going to the alps next Summer) I'm not a jumper but like to ride downhill tech terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Naveed
    One question I did have is the fork on the Specialized FSR 29er expert - is it def adjustable from 130mm to 140mm? Some people on the forums say it is, but some don't seem to agree.

Also is the Stumpjumper 29er suitable for AM riding (may be going to the alps next Summer) I'm not a jumper but like to ride downhill tech terrain.
    The fork is not travel adjustable on the fly. However, you can change from 130 to 140 by changing the internal spacers.

As for AM riding, I guess that would depend on your definition of "All Mountain" Specialized calls the Stumpy line their trail bike & the Enduro is the all mountain bike. Me? At 240 lbs I think I might be abusing my Stumpy if I were to jump & huck the thing. I know smaller guys who ride the #^&(@ out their Stumpy and the bikes hold up pretty well. YMMV
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    The fork is not travel adjustable on the fly. However, you can change from 130 to 140 by changing the internal spacers.

As for AM riding, I guess that would depend on your definition of "All Mountain" Specialized calls the Stumpy line their trail bike & the Enduro is the all mountain bike. Me? At 240 lbs I think I might be abusing my Stumpy if I were to jump & huck the thing. I know smaller guys who ride the #^&(@ out their Stumpy and the bikes hold up pretty well. YMMV

Thanks for your answer, really helpful mate!