mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Stumpjumper Expert Carbon - Ibis Modjo Sl

a simply 2 question:
    Ibis Modjo Sl 2010 - 2010 stumpjumper Expert Carbon who wins and why?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Ibis owners will tell you that they have the best warranty service in the industry and that DW link negates the need for the custom specialized shock with the brain.

I'll tell you as a former stumpjumper owner that I'm never buying another specialized bike with any of their "custom" technology and the associated hassles.

mtbr member
    Looks like a win/win to me

I'm biased (own a FSR Expert) but the Ibis website and all of the customization possibilities is pretty sweet.

Oh and the Mojo SL is pretty nice too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ok the ibis look is great...
    i am in italy and the assistance passed on distributor. unfortunately is not the same that to be on USA.
    but the stumpy work very well.
    some guys tell me that the dw link is amazing on climbing but not so great on descending. the geometry bloc the bobbing but bloc the course to.
    the brain works blocked when forces go top/down and open when the forced go down/top

mtbr member
    I love the '10 Fox Brain on my FSR. It's very adjustable, I have it set 6 clicks from open/no brain and the transition from locked to active suspension is seamless.

I've had fully active long travel suspension bikes, but none have performed as well as the Stumpy.

It climbs like a scalded monkey and rips on the descents.

I say go with the Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wally:
    My vote is for the Stumpy. I have spent many hours on both bikes. It really depends on the ride that you like. I encourage you to ride both bikes and make the determination. When I was determining which bike to buy, the Mojo was #1 on the list. Oh, she is so sexy! My wife even liked the Mojo. The Mojo rides super, crazy, silly cush. On a climb, as soon as I let up on or varied my pedaling, I could feel DW link settle in a much lower position. As soon as I pedaled harder, it would return to its pedaling platform. It was strange.

The Stumpy climbs like a hard tail and rails DH like a Speed Racer. Yea, you are going to drop some cash on service and all of that, but there just isn't anything like swinging your leg over a bike like the Stumpy that can do it all really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So I think you should get the Stumpy as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmurv
    Wally:
    My vote is for the Stumpy. I have spent many hours on both bikes. It really depends on the ride that you like. I encourage you to ride both bikes and make the determination. When I was determining which bike to buy, the Mojo was #1 on the list. Oh, she is so sexy! My wife even liked the Mojo. The Mojo rides super, crazy, silly cush. On a climb, as soon as I let up on or varied my pedaling, I could feel DW link settle in a much lower position. As soon as I pedaled harder, it would return to its pedaling platform. It was strange.

The Stumpy climbs like a hard tail and rails DH like a Speed Racer. Yea, you are going to drop some cash on service and all of that, but there just isn't anything like swinging your leg over a bike like the Stumpy that can do it all really well.
    The HL is old technology while mini links are magic, don't you know!

Mini-link bikes are nice but they do have their quirks, as do all bikes. Demo the bikes, if you can, and pick the bike that works with your type of ridding and terrain.

Compelling, and rich.
    Demo both. Choose which one you prefer.

Both bikes are fantastic.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I have ridden several different stumpjumpers (a 29er and a 26er with a Brain, and a 26er with a Fox shock with propedal). All of them performed excellently. If you buy a stumpy, you are getting a great bike.

BUT, you might prefer the DW Link to the FSR suspension. That to me is the real issue here. If you LOVE the Ibis customer service but HATE the DW Link... then who cares how good thier customer service is. So ride them both.

FWIW, I have limited time on a non-Ibis DW Link bike, and I own several bikes with FSR. Also, I have never had to deal with Specialized's customer service because my bikes haven't had a problem, yet.