mtbr member
    Nov 2006

stumpjumper evo dilema(s)

I'm really leaning towards a stumjumper evo for my next trail bike, over an enduro. I like the enduros, but I want something more responsive and lighter. Here are my concerns with the sj evo build:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

1. 32 150 mm fork- I'm not convinced with the whole 15mm axle thing. I want something confidence inspiring up front, like a travel-reduced 36 float to 150. Would this void the warranty?

2. I have no clue about the quality of roval wheels- does anyone have experience with these?

3. I like to run 170mm cranks, and the evo comes w/ 175 carbon fiber cranks. Anyone have experience with these cranks? I'm afraid I'll be bashing them into rocks at that length, and the cf makes me wonder...

Ok, thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can help a little,

32 150mm forks with the 15mm axel are very stiff and strong. Als the EVO has a tapered headtube which will give even more confidence. I currently run a 150mm Revelation which standard steerer and QR dropouts and i have nothing but confidence in them in the really rough stuff. The Fox on the EVO will be awesome.

What size are you looking at? the small size EVO runs 170mm cranks, but the others do run the 175mm. How tall are you? The extra length won't make much differance to rock clearance but will fell SO much better when pedling if your taller than a size small. The cranks are surprisingly tough and you'll be suprised with how little damage you'll do to them. If still worried about it, Race Face make crank end covers to fit most carbon cranks that will help you sleep at night.
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ^
    Thanks for the reply- I should have mentioned a little about myself, I weigh 200 w/ gear, am 6' tall and i ride pretty aggresively. I am typically a smooth rider. I just want something that won't feel noodly up front. Due to your input, I'll test ride one and see what I think..
    Good point about the cranks- I never thought about the pedalability of a 175. Maybe I'll look into the pedal guards- I am kind of excited to see how much stiffer these are than the stylos I'm used to.

Anyone know anything about the wheels and if a travel reduced float would void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had 420SLs on my 10 stump fsr and bent the sheez out of them. I have the roval traverse AL on now and they are excellent. I weigh 190lbs and ride smooth and hard. Drops but not huge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sirridealot
    I had 420SLs on my 10 stump fsr and bent the sheez out of them. I have the roval traverse AL on now and they are excellent. I weigh 190lbs and ride smooth and hard. Drops but not huge.
    That's great to hear, thanks!
    My wife has the 420's on her bike, and I'm scared to ride it and kill those things! Most riding, I would be fine, but one mess up/ case/ or hard it and those would be dead.

Any idea what the rovals weigh? comparable to ex500's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Im not sure on the weight. Just remember if you go to buy... I got the TRAVERSE AL... not the control they offer now.

I really hit some jumps and rock gardens as hard as I go last week and the wheels arent out of true at all. Very happy for $550.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeman
    I'm really leaning towards a stumjumper evo for my next trail bike, over an enduro. I like the enduros, but I want something more responsive and lighter. Here are my concerns with the sj evo build:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

1. 32 150 mm fork- I'm not convinced with the whole 15mm axle thing. I want something confidence inspiring up front, like a travel-reduced 36 float to 150. Would this void the warranty?

2. I have no clue about the quality of roval wheels- does anyone have experience with these?

3. I like to run 170mm cranks, and the evo comes w/ 175 carbon fiber cranks. Anyone have experience with these cranks? I'm afraid I'll be bashing them into rocks at that length, and the cf makes me wonder...

Ok, thanks for any input!
    1. I don't think the 15mm axle will be a problem. Maybe the low weight of the fork could be if you ride very hard. But I don't think you will snap the tapered head tube. Stanchions maybe, but that would require something like casing a big double at high speed.

2. I read somewhere that they made them stiffer/stronger for 2011. My concern is more with the rear hub. But it is made by DT Swiss and although being low end, it can't be worse than Shimano Deore which don't last even one season if you ride hard and regularly (beside working like ****).

3. You will hit the cranks occasionally to ground anyway, even with 170mm cranks. But you will learn to avoid the hits by briefly stopping pedaling when needed. The low BB is worth it in descents. And the issue is the same as with normal Stumpjumpers. However the RP23 may even lessen this as it should have better mid stroke control than Triad.

mtbr member
    This fox fork looks like 2009 model w/o FIT and rebound knob on the top. I prefer 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The only issue that I know of for the QR 15's is that roof racks companies were slow to make adapters for them. If you're not the one driving you may have to bring your own fit kit.

As for stiffness they say 20% more than 9mm axles.

If you get a Fox 36 and have it lowered by a warranty approved LBS I don't see why Spesh or Fox wouldn't stand behind it. I don't know what's involved in lowering a 36 so if you have to crack it open yourself and cut top out springs in half or something then you're going to be SOL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude
    The only issue that I know of for the QR 15's is that roof racks companies were slow to make adapters for them. If you're not the one driving you may have to bring your own fit kit.

As for stiffness they say 20% more than 9mm axles.

If you get a Fox 36 and have it lowered by a warranty approved LBS I don't see why Spesh or Fox wouldn't stand behind it. I don't know what's involved in lowering a 36 so if you have to crack it open yourself and cut top out springs in half or something then you're going to be SOL.
    It's not a big deal to lower a float- just a spacer to essiantially lower the top out point. This is even a fox approved activity

Thank you for pointing out that this looks like an '09 fork- I may switch to the 36 just to get the FIT, anyways.

I'm used to riding a fairly low bike, I'm just not a huge fan of LONGER cranks than I'm used to, and the fact that they're CF, I'm a bit worried about hitting them- i think the arm protector suggestion will solve that one for me though.

Thanks everyone for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

covers?

Quote Originally Posted by Eatyapeas
    Race Face make crank end covers to fit most carbon cranks that will help you sleep at night.
    where can i find the covers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Put in my order for my medium sj evo! I'll let you guys know how it rides. I'm going to give the 15mm fork a shot.

Pat McGroyne
    May 2009

Stumpy EVO Small or Medium?

What size Stumpy Evo would you guys recommend for someone who is 5-7. They do not have any of these at my LBS to test ride and I have my mind set on buying one.