Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've already had two 32s warrantied by Fox. I'm only 155lbs, but ride the bike pretty hard and can sometimes not be the smoothest rider on sizable jumps

the stock RL fork is ****... the dampening is crap and I just couldn't get it to work for me. It really is a limiter on this bike and Specialized severely cheaped out, especially for the price point. It ended up failing at the steerer to crown bond.

so I got a 2012 TALAS 32 which was a major improvement over the RL, but still came up really short when compared to the RC2 damper setups on my 40 and 36s. I really enjoyed the ability to drop the fork down for climbing which I never really used on other bikes but this one, possibly due to the lighter front end, really benefited on the climbs. It too failed at the stanchion to crown bond and I just got it back from Fox.

They said that they found 32 stanchions came up a little short for more aggressive riders on the 150mm forks and offered me a crash replacement with the 34, but I didn't go with it as it was still ~$550 or so and they would keep my 32.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

nice

really nice setup

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I asked Specialized, they say:

Me: Hi, I want to ride a 160mm fork on my Stumpjumper FSR Carbon EVO 2012. Is that possible?
    Specialized Service: 160 is too big. That frame is at it's recommended limit with a 150...

Do you have other statements from Specialized? I really want to ride a 34 Talas on the bike.

mtbr member
    The spesh rep told me the same thing at my LBS. He said if i go with a Fox 34 I should space it down to 150.

Finally stateside again
    anyone who thinks this bike needs 36 or more travel should not be on this bike. how does anyone figure a trail bike needs more travel. i ride this **** on super tech downhill almost every weekend and granted i don't like the 32( just because it is a base line 32) but i never ever need more travel. a 36 kills everything this bike is about. if you want or need more travel you need to learn how to ride smoother. yes the 32 kind sucks but its not that bad. there is a reason they didn't put the 36 on this bike or slacken the HA any more. this bike is sick i think if you need more travel your on the wrong rig or your using the bike for the wrong thing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8 View Post
    Totally agree with you on this, it feels true at least for my weight and riding. I do love the 36 on the bike now, but I am intrigued to try a 34 on it. I have a 34 on my '12 s-works sj 29er fsr, and it is a great fork, a much better choice than 32's that came on the previous year stumpy 29er fsr's. There is a bit more flex to it than the 36 on my stumpy, but that is also comparing a smaller stantioned fork to a larger one, and a 29 vs a 26 fork, so its not comparing apples to apples at all.

So tell me about the 34 on your evo a bit more. I see it weighs about .4lbs less than the 36, and you get a 15mm vs. a 20mm, and the 2mm smaller stantion, then you have the new CTD adjustment vs High/Low Speed compression, whats your thoughts on it, what makes it better for the bike than the 36, and what does it lack compared to the 36?

The reason I ask is I have to order a few parts from fox today, and might be interested in the 34 and playing around with the travel on it. Its nice to have options.
    Yeah I would say a 34 is a must on a good 29er but if you push hard over 120mm, 32 is probably ok 120mm down, I ran a 32mm Zocchi on my HT Sir9er last year and it was stiff enough.

Comparing a 34mm 26 float to a 36mm float it feels like a lighter 36, not a heavier 32mm, I feel no flex, as someone said above the more important factor is the axle to crown is maintained a 36 alters this even in reduced travel.

This fork just feels made for the EVO!

Comparing it to the 36 is imo not the right way to look at it, you can make anything go on any bike, but finally the 34 addresses the 130 -150mm 26er category without compromise on either end, I notice nothing in weight but a massive difference in tracking stability and capability.

I've run this now for over a month and I've given it heaps, it almost feels like a small 40 with what it can handle, I have a 2012 40 on my DH bike and have ridden it back to back on some grade 5 trails that I used to take my DH bike down, not true DH tracks but still gnarly, the 34 just nails it, I smash it into some pretty not so smooth landings and its stable, I'm no light weight either, I run around 220psi in the rear shock.

I run my CTD in trail mode and compression in DH mode so its firm, stays up in the travel on the downs, but flies up the hills, stand and hammer and very little movement, yet it still tracks the ground in rough rooty corners, something the 32 RL would not do at speed or my speed, I run 90psi in the air chamber and enough rebound it doesn't pack up, but not too fast either so it remains stable on bigger hits, I'd possibly like a re valve for a firmer compression between modes, but its very impressive and almost coil like in it's performance. I just love it.

I would highly recommend this fork to anyone on a Stumpy Evo, on the std Stumpy you don''t notice it as much and I think a decent 32 like the RLC or newer CTD float 32s would be ok, you'd get away with it but not the EVO, it begs for this fork.

I'm, not a fan of Talas, one of the key reasons I choose an EVO was I didn't want to play around with the GEO, I wanted to set and forget and go hammer the trails without compromise!

If anything, most of my riding is now pretty boring this thing just slays single track, I feel I could do with less travel, I've yet to bottom this thing out, I will get some decent GoPro sometime, on a jump to gnarly landing to show you what I mean.

Each to his own, but I agree with everything that mzorich has stated.

I don't even have to ride smooth, the Stumpy can take a beating and then some.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey EVOness - What are your thoughts on the new 34 Talas 160MM? You mentioned something about the 36 axle to crown length being too long for the EVO platform. Do you know if the axle to crown on the 34 is the same as the 32?

I don't want to mess with the stock GEO, but I recently came across a 34 Talas and as you know you can't make talas 150MM like the float.

With that restriction what are your thoughts on running the 34 Talas in 160MM mode on the EVO?
    ---------------------
    2010 Trek Scratch 7 converted to all air w/ "extras"
    2011 Specialized Demo II

mtbr member
    May 2012
    To clarify warranty using a 160mm 34 Talas I twittert with Specialized:

Me: Hi, I want to ride a 160mm fork on my Stumpjumper FSR Carbon EVO 2012. Is that possible?
    Specialized: Sorry, 160 is too big. That frame is at it's recommended limit with a 150...
    Me: Does that mean there is no warranty any more or do you not recommend it because of geometrie changes?
    Specialized: Both, frankly....

So: do not use a 160mm fork in the EVO if you want to keep your warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Hey EVOness - What are your thoughts on the new 34 Talas 160MM? You mentioned something about the 36 axle to crown length being too long for the EVO platform. Do you know if the axle to crown on the 34 is the same as the 32?

I don't want to mess with the stock GEO, but I recently came across a 34 Talas and as you know you can't make talas 150MM like the float.

With that restriction what are your thoughts on running the 34 Talas in 160MM mode on the EVO?
    I have not tried the new Talas 160mm, my thoughts on 160mm are pretty strong, I think it alters the bike too much and people looking at the EVO versions shouldn't be looking at compensating imo.

The big reason I think this may have happened is due to the std 32RL which is a POS on this frame, its fine with the std Stumpy without being stellar, but the EVO has so much capability its a shame that fork came on this bike, I hope S do a better job with the specc in 2013 on the EVO it deserves it esp at that price range.

If you setup your suspension right at 150mm with the Float 34 or 32RLC/CTD version or a Zocchi 44ti or A Rev with 20mm ta then the rest is up to the rider.

I'd still pick the 34 CTD out of that bunch as the 34 chassis is impressive, I do prefer 20mm axles but the 15mm axle system on the Fox is better than the 36 thru axle system and more than a match for Srams maxle light, they're might be some slight advantages in 20mm over 15mm but on this bike and travel range and under you'd not notice it.

Good wheels fork and setup will make up for it and should be more of riders focus.

I'd not compromise on this bike, if you can get an EVO then don't let it down by settling on upgrades that don't do it justice, upgrade is supposed to be that an upgrade, it should be significantly better or your'e just throwing cash down the drain and you're better off looking elsewhere.

PS A2C on the 34 @ 150mm is the same as the 32 @ 150mm, though I've not measured it, I've still got the 32rl so I can check it to be sure. 36 definitely has a longer A2C though.
    Jmo/e
    Last edited by EVOness; 07-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Early reviews and reports of the 2013 model, and good to see a 34 specc on they're not so sure it should be a Talas, but it might appeal to a wider range, also not sure that's what the EVO is about but hey market forces.

2013 EVO

http://nsmb.com/assets/2012/images/b...=430&width=700

Specc EVO 29/26ers

Dam would have been good to have seen, XX1 groupset on here as well, like the new EnduroC.
    Last edited by EVOness; 07-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Totally agree when i get my 34 float i will space it down to 150 as i agree no need for more travel, just more stiffness when it comes to the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    all i can say is with the stock fork i was not impressed with this bike. With the lyrik i love the bike. I am not a techy dude or anything like that. i just like to climb up hills and rip down stuff and hopefully it is in the backcountry. The lyrik just made the bike a great bike. i don't know if is th extra 10 mm or the stiffness, nor do i care. I just know the lyrik will put a smile on your face on the evo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOness View Post
    Early reviews and reports of the 2013 model, and good to see a 34 specc on they're not so sure it should be a Talas, but it might appeal to a wider range, also not sure that's what the EVO is about but hey market forces.

2013 EVO

http://nsmb.com/assets/2012/images/b...=430&width=700

Specc EVO 29/26ers

Dam would have been good to have seen, XX1 groupset on here as well, like the new EnduroC.
    Looks like fox is making a custom version of the 34 talas at 150mm for them. With the retail version you can only get 160mm.

Still can't believe 10mm makes that much of a difference. I have a brand new 34 talas. Maybe I'll try to return it and get the float.
    ---------------------
    2011 Specialized Demo II

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just put back the oem fork(150mm RS revelation)... The A2C is 1.5 inches less than the fox 36 160.. I think I will reduce the fox to 150 or 140.. It was more fun and more maniable with the oem fork, I think i'm faster too with less travel...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    this is great!!! I myself have destroyed the oem 32 on my evo and a 32rlc i bought aftermarket; destroyed the bushings pretty quickly......
    talked w/ Fox yesterday and next week im goin to order a talas 34 then pay the extra 100.00 to have them swap out the internals to a regular float 34; this way fork is still black....didnt like the way a white fork looked on my evo, call it what you will....
    BTW, dude at Fox told me the the A2C on a lowered to 150mm 34 will be approx. 7mm taller than a 32 150mm
    I will have them drop travel of the 34 to 150mm when they swap the internals too

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Fox is making a 150mm 34 Talas for the 2013 carbon evo. You might ask if it's possible to get one of those, rather than futzing with internals and stuff. And, it's black already

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hmmm, souds good, but i dont feel a need for a talas and feel that the talas models dont feel as nice thru travel as none talas....
    Dont think it would be a big deal if they swapped internals as its all done in house by the techs...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by osty View Post
    this is great!!! I myself have destroyed the oem 32 on my evo and a 32rlc i bought aftermarket; destroyed the bushings pretty quickly......
    talked w/ Fox yesterday and next week im goin to order a talas 34 then pay the extra 100.00 to have them swap out the internals to a regular float 34; this way fork is still black....didnt like the way a white fork looked on my evo, call it what you will....
    BTW, dude at Fox told me the the A2C on a lowered to 150mm 34 will be approx. 7mm taller than a 32 150mm
    I will have them drop travel of the 34 to 150mm when they swap the internals too
    Thanks for the tip. I just called FOX and they are going to do the same thing to my TALAS. I currently have a TALAS 34 160 and I'm sending it in to swap for FLOAT 34 internals and lowering it to 150MM.

I can do without the travel adjust but I really want a black fork too.
    ---------------------
    2011 Specialized Demo II

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    LOL, well i ordered just the float 34 since I needed to buy some DH parts for other bike....BUT, Fox is lowering the fork and labor for free...I know its not a big thing, but its something.
    Looks like im back to a white fork...
    AND, they don't have any of the 2013 Talas 150's until next year sometime and prob wont offer aftermarket

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm now riding with the fork at 140mm.. I put 2 spacers of 10mm each, i prefer the bike with the 140now, more easy to control, but my fork is still at 150mm after I lowered with 2 spacer :P

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So I posted on another thread about this as well, but do any of you on the Evo's feel there is a lack of compression dampening for the rear shock? I test rode one and even after increasing the pressure about 20 psi over AutoSag was blowing through the travel. I am 160 without gear and was riding a medium 2012 Evo Comp. If so, have you found that compensating with more pressure works, or have you had additional aftermarket tuning? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ive a 160mm Lyrik in my 2012 Stumpi Elite and I absolutly love it! The bike still climbs well and decents like a champ!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just wondering if any of you guys who have swapped for a Fox34 on their bikes have noticed any difference in weight. My 2013 Revelation, as far as I can find on the web, weighs around 3.6 pounds. A Fox34 Float weighs 4.3 pounds. That's fairly significant.. are you guys feeling a difference?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just put a float 36 onto mine today after finding the revelation a bit weak up front on the past few rides, and can definately feel the extra stiffness up front from the 36's. Not been on a proper ride yet so can't decide on whether to drop it down to 150mm yet.

Off to a bike park this weekend so will see how it goes there, but doesn't feel as high at the front as i thought.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    So I switched to Fox 34 talas 120/160 and didn't know what was happening with the frontend. It was very stable going over rocky terrain. I didn't have to fight the handlebar unlike before with the OE fork (Float 32 150mm). It also feels that the bike is in attack mode all the time. I end up sprinting on the sections I normally would go easy on. I started breaking all my PR's on this bike (DH).

As mentioned by Evoness...

Quote Originally Posted by EVOness View Post
    massive difference in tracking stability and capability.
    Other thing I noticed was the chain slapping on the stay is louder than before. To the point that I had to stop few times to check what was going on back there. Must be the speed I'm now carrying over those bumpy terrains.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...17335151_n.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast