mtbr member

Stumpjumper or Enduro?

So I just cracked the frame on my 02 Enduro. They aren't kidding about keeping your seatpost below that little hole in the seat tube. Lucky for me, my shop noticed that the frame was also cracked at the upper rear shock mount - not my fault. So I'm going to get something as a replacement on warranty.

The thing is that I can't decide whether to take a new Enduro or ask to get a Stumpjumper instead. My Enduro was pretty much perfect for me but I was thinking something a little more xc oriented would be nice when the time came to get a different bike.

I'm not a big hucker or anything but I do enjoy flying down rocky trails and hitting the very occasional 2-3 ft drop. I also like doing long rides (up to 60 miles) but usually stay closer to 20 milers. My old Enduro had 5" rear travel and weighed in at 30lbs. There were times when I wished it was lighter for climbing etc but I liked how it handled.

I'm thinking the new Enduros have more travel and weight than I need but am concerned with how well a stumpjumper will handle fast rough descents, both in terms of durability and handling (quicker steering but less stable).

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

... and if we just ... sj love

Its been 2 years since I purchased my stumpjumper and I could'nt be happier. It has taken all the abuse I've thrown at it and more. From skeggs to downiville, moab, and countless others. 4foot???? drops no problem. The only changes Ive made are stiffer springs for the fork and changed from 9 to 8 speeds. A few of my friends have enduro's and love them, but it seems to me a little over kill unless you really like bigger drops. Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Having owned both, I can't imagine going from the Enduro to the Stumpy if you do anything other than 'aggressive xc'. While the Stumpy can 'probably' take the small to medium drops, with the enduro you don't even have to think twice about it. Throw some 2.1" tires on the Enduro and it'll be faster and handle more like the stumpy, that's what I did.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    So I just cracked the frame on my 02 Enduro. They aren't kidding about keeping your seatpost below that little hole in the seat tube. Lucky for me, my shop noticed that the frame was also cracked at the upper rear shock mount - not my fault. So I'm going to get something as a replacement on warranty.

The thing is that I can't decide whether to take a new Enduro or ask to get a Stumpjumper instead. My Enduro was pretty much perfect for me but I was thinking something a little more xc oriented would be nice when the time came to get a different bike.

I'm not a big hucker or anything but I do enjoy flying down rocky trails and hitting the very occasional 2-3 ft drop. I also like doing long rides (up to 60 miles) but usually stay closer to 20 milers. My old Enduro had 5" rear travel and weighed in at 30lbs. There were times when I wished it was lighter for climbing etc but I liked how it handled.

I'm thinking the new Enduros have more travel and weight than I need but am concerned with how well a stumpjumper will handle fast rough descents, both in terms of durability and handling (quicker steering but less stable).

Any thoughts?
    Wow, that's a tough call. The 02-04 Enduros are tough to beat. I don't know what I would do if I broke mine. Probably get whatever frame I could sell for more $$$, then sell it and try something else like a Blur, Turner, Elsworth... Not that there is anything wrong with S, but some other bike may just fit your style a little better.
    Good luck with your decision.
    -Dan
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

fsr
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

stump vs. enduro

Keep in mind that the new enduros are a completely different bike from the older ones. the new ones are much beefier with 6 inches and aimed at aggro trail and light freeriding. The new stumpjumpers are running 5 inches and based on your riding style, I think this is the one for you. Best solution is go to your local dealer and try them both out. Good luck.
    FSR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'd have to say go for the Stumpy as well...

I had an 03 Enduro, loved the bike, but for my riding style it was just too much. I'm into agressive XC and trail, don't do much more than the VERY occasional 2 to 3 foot drop. I have a 4" travel Stumpy and couldn't be happier with it. I probably would have gotten the 5" Stump had it been available, but it wasn't Anyway, surprisingly the Stumpy handles VERY much like the Enduro did in the steeper head angle setting, the 03 had the flip link in the rear. The thing that sold me on the Stumpjumper was the lighter weight and feel on the trail and the stability of the bike and the way it better suited the way I ride.

So, your choice of course, but it sounds to me like a Stumpjumper would be right up your alley. But as fsr said, you can always sell the bike and go with something else if you decide that the Stumpy doesn't quite suit you. If it was me, I'd give the Stumpjumper a shot.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member

All your comments about weight and xc style...totally stumpy

First off, yeah you should test ride no question.

I've ridden both a bit, and if you want something up for agressive XC its the Stumpy all the way. The biggest thing is the high volume DHX air on there is never going to give as much of an XC platform as the stumpy (with or without the brain trailtune that comes on Pro and S-works). The Enduro wheels are also much heavier rims and spokes, so just slapping smaller tires on there isn't going to feel at all like a Stumpy. At 5" of travel, you can do 3-4 footers all day. Nw, the stumpy will no way be as stiff as an enduro, but its around 4 lbs lighter I think (at least 3), and a good chunck it rotating weight.

One thing I'll note from my riding experience is that while I though the Enduro was one of the sickest bikes in terms of stiffness thanks for the 36 up front and square tubing, it didn't necessarily mean I was having more fun. I was working harder going up because of the mushiness, and to feel at all challenged going down I had to go faster, which was cool, but not necessarily more fun. This was a rocky trail too. Its reasoning like this that has given growth to the singlespeed revolution, which is extreme for me, but you get the picture.

Basically, if climbing is your thing and tires don't get far off the ground, I think your legs will put more miles onto a stumpy.

-kcavt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I've got an 05 enduro pro, you can set the shock shuttle to 2 diff. angles and bottom bracket heights and the fox 36 can be adjusted from 130mm - 150mm
    you can get xc type handling with the steep shock setting and 130-140mm fork and when you want more dh style switch it up. the biggest diff. will be weight 32lbs. my sugar is 25lbs but since I got the enduro I never ride the sugar