Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    65

    Stumpjumper Comp HT vs Rockhopper Pro Disc

    I'm looking to upgrade from my Trek to a new Specialized and was looking at the Rockhopper Pro Disc. Talking to a dealer he said I should consider a Stumpjumper Comp HT which I did not know about. It's a $500 upgrade, should I consider this?

  2. #2
    Riding in North VA
    Reputation: APO.Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    235
    I have a 2007 Rockhopper Disc and it's been great, for a bigger bike. It's a little on the heavy side, the disc breaks are not great and the from fork (Dart 3) is not all that. The Stumpjumper has all ways been a higher end bike, litter, and the HT bring a Fox fork (nice). It does have V brakes, but they probably brake better than the entry level disc brakes included in the Rockhopper Disc. FYI and IMO.

  3. #3
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,513
    I have that same bike I think the brakes are pretty good and the fork isn't too bad, although I am currently planning on some serious upgrades.

    He's talking about the pro model though which has a recon fork and juicy 3's. I must say I really like my hopper. The stumpy is certainly something to consider though. From what I hear it's a bit more XC "go fast" oriented, but I've yet to have the pleasure of riding one. What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    565
    I have a 2008 Rockhopper Pro and love it. It has a great Recon SLite fork, Juicy 3s, SRAM X7 rear, DT Swiss 445 wheels, well you probably know the rest. Stock with pedals it weighs just 25 lbs, considerably less than the other RH models. Parts aside, I just love how great it rides - not too aggressive, not too relaxed, but just right for me. It's a great climber and just flies up and down trails.

    Having said all that, the Stumpy Comp is a great bike too. In fact ,I also considered the Stumpy Comp and for me the extra $500 was not an issue. I had a Stumpy years ago, so I know it's a solid bike too. The Stumpy Comp weighs one or two pounds less, but that's without pedals. So the real weight difference between the RH Pro and Stumpy Comp is probably more like one pound. The extra $500 gets you the M5 frame and upgraded parts all around.

    There are several reasons that I did not go with the Stumpy - these were of course my own reasons and may not matter in the least to others considering a purchase. I already have a very aggressive, rigid mtb and wanted something a little less race prone. The Stumpy is very aggressive and that includes the frame design, riding position, handlebars, stem and saddle. The fork is a 90mm race oriented Fox fork with air adjust vs the RH Pro's 100mm spring loaded Recon (set and forget, no air/maintenance required). The Stumpy also comes with lighter S-works tires and ultralight tubes - great for racing, but these don't last long otherwise.

    Bottom line - either bike is a great hard tail. You should really test drive both and buy the one that fits your style of riding. If you like to race and really hammer and are comfortable with an aggressive riding style, the Stumpy would fit the bill. If you're looking for a great, light, all around comfortable XC bike (that you can still hammer), the RH Pro might be a better fit. It's really hard to recommend one over the other without knowing your riding style and abilities.
    Last edited by Fiendbear; 06-11-2009 at 04:16 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    565
    Here is a review of the 2008 Rockhopper Pro. This is the Euro version which had a different color and a few different, but comparable components. The 2009 RH Pro is similar:

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-disc-08-29417

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    147
    my last bike was a 07 stumpjumper comp. ive since upgraded to a fsr. i would have to pick the stumpy over the rockhopper. my roomate had a rockhopper and we both did the same riding and everytime we would ride he would have to go to the shop afterwards and my bike would stay in the back of the truck while we are getting his fixed. the fox fork is a major upgrade (IMO) to the recon or the tora that comes on the rockhopper. also his bike felt like a semi compared to mine. his was a large and mine a medium but i wouldnt think it would make that huge of difference.

    i did have a little bit of problems with the tubes as friendbear stated but that cost 10 dollars and 10 minutes to fix with new tubes.

    my comp had juicy 5s? this years comp comes with v brakes? if so that would be my only downside towards the stumpy. but the fox fork still has me picking the stumpy.

    just my opinion. let us know what you decide
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by russelr
    my last bike was a 07 stumpjumper comp. ive since upgraded to a fsr. i would have to pick the stumpy over the rockhopper. my roomate had a rockhopper and we both did the same riding and everytime we would ride he would have to go to the shop afterwards and my bike would stay in the back of the truck while we are getting his fixed. the fox fork is a major upgrade (IMO) to the recon or the tora that comes on the rockhopper. also his bike felt like a semi compared to mine. his was a large and mine a medium but i wouldnt think it would make that huge of difference.

    i did have a little bit of problems with the tubes as friendbear stated but that cost 10 dollars and 10 minutes to fix with new tubes.

    my comp had juicy 5s? this years comp comes with v brakes? if so that would be my only downside towards the stumpy. but the fox fork still has me picking the stumpy.

    just my opinion. let us know what you decide
    I think he's looking at the Stumpy Comp that comes with Custom Avid Elixir hydraulic brakes. Agree the Fox is a big upgrade over the Tora, but no so much over the Recon. Also agree that Rockhoppers CAN be heavy, especially the pre-M4 frames which started in the '7 - '08 period I think. The RH Pro, however, is very light - almost as light as the Stumpy with pedals.

    Very few folks spend the dollars for the RH Pro model and most end up with one of the cheaper models where the weight does ratchet up significantly. I have had zero problems with the RH Pro and easily have 1,500 dirt miles on the stock LK Control tires (the rear is almost done now though). I run them at 35 lbs with tubes and have never pinch flatted, but I am light at 140lbs too.

    Either bike is great ride though...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear
    I think he's looking at the Stumpy Comp that comes with Custom Avid Elixir hydraulic brakes. Agree the Fox is a big upgrade over the Tora, but no so much over the Recon. Also agree that Rockhoppers CAN be heavy, especially the pre-M4 frames which started in the '7 - '08 period I think. The RH Pro, however, is very light - almost as light as the Stumpy with pedals.

    Very few folks spend the dollars for the RH Pro model and most end up with one of the cheaper models where the weight does ratchet up significantly. I have had zero problems with the RH Pro and easily have 1,500 dirt miles on the stock LK Control tires (the rear is almost done now though). I run them at 35 lbs with tubes and have never pinch flatted, but I am light at 140lbs too.

    Either bike is great ride though...

    i can agree with all that. so really i guess ill just give you the classic mtbr.com response. just try both and see which one feels better. haha i hated when people told me that when i was picking out a bike.
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    147
    actually what i think you should really do is. go either look around for a 1 year old used bike or definatly by a 1 year old new bike that a shop has left over. no way a ht comp stumpy is worth 1850. dont get me wrong i loved the bike still wish i had it every day but not 1850. you could get so much better bikes for that kind of cash.

    heck i saw a bike shop selling a 08 stumpjumper fsr comp for 1600 and ive read on mtbr.com about people paying 1400-1500 so make sure you shop around. and if you can wait the 2010 models come out at the end of the summer so you could get a 09 at a much better price in a few months. kinda miss the 'riding' season but save alot of cash if you have another bike you can ride till then.
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by russelr
    actually what i think you should really do is. go either look around for a 1 year old used bike or definatly by a 1 year old new bike that a shop has left over. no way a ht comp stumpy is worth 1850. dont get me wrong i loved the bike still wish i had it every day but not 1850. you could get so much better bikes for that kind of cash.

    heck i saw a bike shop selling a 08 stumpjumper fsr comp for 1600 and ive read on mtbr.com about people paying 1400-1500 so make sure you shop around. and if you can wait the 2010 models come out at the end of the summer so you could get a 09 at a much better price in a few months. kinda miss the 'riding' season but save alot of cash if you have another bike you can ride till then.
    Totally agree! That's why I bought mine in August last year and got a really good deal. Buying a Specialized at full retail is kind of crazy IMHO.

    The standard mtbr response is definitely the way to go - try different bikes until you find one that fits like a glove. We hear it all the time, but it's so true. I have tried bikes that looked good on paper, only to be greatly disappointed after riding them. You'll definitely know when you find THE one...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spinner54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    32
    I have a Rockhooper Comp - at least that is how it started out. when I purchased the bike I was not sure how much I would use it since it has been 20 years since I use to ride and then most of my riding was on the road. So heres what happened in the past 3 months.

    I have upgraded every component. When I first purchased the bike the lbs replaces the brakes for me with Juicy 3's. my first upgrade was from the x4 to the x9 shifters which included new cassette and chain. Then I started having problems with the Juicy's which are now in for warranty service and I have purchased exlir crs (fantastic).

    Oh and I forgot about the new Mavic wheels, Michelin tires, Thompson 90mm stem, Fox RL90 off a Stump HT the was never used and is now a RL100. Just purchased last night from a member here a brand new XT crankset, and I have change the Handel bar to a Monkeylite SL Highrise.

    You may ask why I didn't just buy the Stumpy - dont know - I thought I was being cost smart and the way things are working out well I really like my bike and riding (I have only golfed 3x this year and usually I play more than 100

    So now I have 2 complete sets of components and I have the oportunity to buy a Epic frame that has never been ridden for a great price.

    So what do I think - you get what you pay for. The Rock is a great bike at the lower end its a tease if I had just bought the Pro in the first place I probably would never have upgraded everything, my bike weighs in at 26lbs my friends Stumpy FSR weighs close to 30 and he has all of the goodies......So check the bank buy what you can afford and if price doesn't matter get the bike that is most comfortable with the best components.

    Good Luck

    Gone Riding

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    65
    I went with the Rockhopper Pro Disc. Had to order it as there didn't have a Pro in stock, no one in the area had one so I hope I like the color. Thanks for all the help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •