mtbr member

New question here. Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er vs. Expert EVO R 29er

I'm going to buy either the Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er or the Stumpjumper Expert EVO R 29er. These two bikes have a price difference of $600.

Normally, if you buy something up front, you get a better deal. So I am expecting if I spend the extra $600 now, instead of next year I should get a better deal. However, when I analyze the parts, I cant see where the extra $600 is!?

Brakes: Avid Elixir CR SL vs. Avid Elixir R SL. Maybe +$140
    Crank: SRAM S2200 vs. S1250. Maybe +$50?
    Fork: Reba RLT 29 w/brain vs. Reba RLT 29. Maybe $300?
    Handlebar: Specialized SWorks XC carbon vs. Specialized XC flatbar. no idea$$?
    rear derailleur: SRAM X.0 10 spd vs. SRAM x.9 10 spd. $100

Is this really $600 worth of stuff? Would I be happier to fork over the extra money now, or later?

Note: I don't race and don't make any money with my bike...

Thanks!

Edit: I missed the upgraded rear derailleur. I think it hits $600 right there.
    Last edited by dnoyeb; 03-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    If you are not racing, then stick with the Stumpy comp. You will be much happier in the end. The EVO series was specifically tailored to be a factory racer.

mtbr member
    I looked at the EVO R because I typically do remove the front shifter. It never gets any use.

I'm not making any money racing, but I'm always trying to keep up with and beat my buddies. I think you are right though. Its a tough decision. If I extrapolate it, why even get a carbon frame? At least I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Almost every component on the EVO is a notch better than what is on the Comp. Shifters, brakes, derailleurs, cranks, etc...this will add up to a significant weight difference and you will have better performing components. Only you can decide whether that difference is worth the $600 to you.
    2011 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon

\m/ \m/
    The fork alone if worth the extra $$$!!!
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem