mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Stumpjumper or Carve for recreational geometry?

Which of these two models will give a more upright geometry? I understand that the Stumpjumper and the Carve are both designed for racing. My next bike will be either of the two. But I need to know which has closer geometry to my Hardrock Disc 29 which I find to be perfect for my recreational style of riding. I could have easily compared the two bikes if only they were in stock at my local bike shop.
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc (sold)
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro

mtbr member

Are you looking at the Stumpjumper hardtail or the Stumpjumper FSR?

If you're deciding between a Carve and a Stumpjumper hardtail here are the geometry measurements for each bike. Which size would you be going for as that affects some measurements?

Hardrock Disc 29 Geometry
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...isc29#geometry

Stumpjumper hardtail geometry
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...omp29#geometry

Carve geometry
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ecomp#geometry

What you're interested in is the stack height (the height of the frame headtube measured from the top of the fork crown to the bottom of the upper headset) and the amount of fork travel that each bike has. A bike with a 100mm travel suspension fork will have a higher front end than a bike with an 80mm travel suspension fork, due to the longer fork.

The stem and handlebars can both be easily swapped out for higher rise models if needed. You can often get the bike shop to do this from new so that you don't have to go to the trouble of purchasing new parts.

Of those bikes my suggestion would be to get a Carve as it will have both the highest front end but should also be a bit more comfortable due to the additional suspension fork travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Stumpjumper or Carve for recreational geometry?

Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Are you looking at the Stumpjumper hardtail or the Stumpjumper FSR?

If you're deciding between a Carve and a Stumpjumper hardtail here are the geometry measurements for each bike. Which size would you be going for as that affects some measurements?

Hardrock Disc 29 Geometry
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...isc29#geometry

Stumpjumper hardtail geometry
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...omp29#geometry

Carve geometry
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ecomp#geometry

What you're interested in is the stack height (the height of the frame headtube measured from the top of the fork crown to the bottom of the upper headset) and the amount of fork travel that each bike has. A bike with a 100mm travel suspension fork will have a higher front end than a bike with an 80mm travel suspension fork, due to the longer fork.

The stem and handlebars can both be easily swapped out for higher rise models if needed. You can often get the bike shop to do this from new so that you don't have to go to the trouble of purchasing new parts.

Of those bikes my suggestion would be to get a Carve as it will have both the highest front end but should also be a bit more comfortable due to the additional suspension fork travel.
    Thanks for that very informative post! And thank you very much for the suggestion! :thumbup:

BTW, my apology for not specifying hardtail for the Stumpjumper. But you did good reading what I was referring to.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Carve although a Stump Evo HT might just work

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ouch! There's one important thing I overlooked...standover height.
    I realized later the standover height on my Hardrock is barely enough at 750mm (29.5 in) when it's on level ground.

The smallest Carve/Crave frame has even higher standover. I can't find any other Specialized hardtail 29er that has standover height lower than 750mm.

Looks like I may have to start looking at Specialized's full-suspension lineup just to get a slightly lower top tube clearance. The Camber (with 745mm standover height) may fit my requirement. If not, I may have to look elsewhere (Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz) and that would be a bummer, because I've started becoming loyal to Specialized brand with my accessory purchases. In fact, I bought a Myka HT for my 12-year-old daughter (to replace her Walmart bike) a week ago.

I'll have to wait for my local bike shop to get a Camber in stock. Till then, I don't know whether I will stay with Specialized or not.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Fate

Hi have you tryed a FATE?
    Yes its a Lady's Bike but were I work we have Sold a few to Shorter Leg Men!
    I'm looking to Buy a RUMOR as I have short legs and long body so in a CAMBER I would ride a Med, But in a RUMOR i'm a Large.

Happy Cycling

Pete

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I prefer alloy frame, so the Fate is out of my list. The Rumor maybe an option.

How about durability? Are the women bikes at least as tough? I'm a bit in doubt looking at the design of the Rumor in comparison to the Camber.

mtbr member

If you're looking at small size frames for standover height then it may be worth thinking about a bike with 650b wheels instead of 29" wheels. The smaller wheels allow for a smaller frame triangle also, providing increased standover height.

mtbr member
    ^Yes...650b would be a good option.

If you insist on 29 inch wheels...look into Niner...their Air 9 (Stumpy spec) and EMD 9 (Carve spec) frames come in XS sizes.

I built up an EMD 9 for my GF a couple months back...and its a pretty killer bike. I'm tempted to build one up myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I think I got hooked with 29" wheels after experiencing the significant difference in ride quality over the 26". I don't want to diminish that by going to a smaller wheel. I'm sticking with a 29er as long as there are bikes available in the market that will meet my other important criteria.

BTW, I will only get one that is available at my local bike shops (the brands I mentioned above), because I don't have the skill to properly build or tune one myself. Maybe later, when I get more experience, I could try it out.

I really appreciate you guys for throwing in your ideas. Because those may help me when shopping for bikes for my loved ones.